• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best free Blu Ray app or plugin?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

krag

Classifieds Moderator
I have a LG SATA Blu-Ray player on its way to me and I need some advice. I am using Win 7 Prem. Would it be better to get a plugin and use Media Center or a application to view the Blu Ray movies thru?

Are there free Blu Ray plugins?

Is there free Blu Ray software players?

Thanks fellas, krag :)

Welp, OK, looks like I am a pioneer/1st adopter in this field. No one has made any comments. :-/ I recieved my goods today. I was not expecting to recieve a software disk for Blu-Ray along with the BD drive. I have purchased several I/O drives with no software in the past. This one was a good surprise. I have not installed it yet, but will shortly.

It comes with a manual and the neccessary power & SATA cable. Also, a 1yr parts and labor warrenty. Dang, I like it already.:santa:

I did search for a freeware app to run BD but have not installed it as of yet. I do know that single copy backups are legal here in the USA but will not disclose the app I have found.

Well anyways, here are a couple pics of the goods.

Attachments

• DSCF2827.jpg
    DSCF2827.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 142
Close up of the LG BD...

Attachments

• DSCF2829.jpg
    DSCF2829.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 142
i use cyberlink powerdvd 9, but only bc i got it from a friend who got it for free when he bought some hardware. it's ok, but i wish there was a better one.

let us know if you find a good free one. and enjoy that bd player. i remember when i got mine (a pioneer one) and being blown away with the 1080 quality

The free version of PowerDVD is not bad, but has some limitations. AFAIK, the only way to get 5.1 (or higher) surround or bitstreaming is to upgrade to the full version of PowerDVD. The free version only supports 3.1 surround and does not bitstream. I haven't heard of any free programs that will do 5.1 or bitstreaming.

Back