• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan(s) for Thermalright Ultra 120

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stryfe

I recently broke the Panaflo 120mm 86cfm fan I had on my Thermalright Ultra 120. I don't recommend catching one of those fan blades under a fingernail by the way.

With a little looking around I've discovered that if I get a second set of clips I can attach two fans (one on either side) to this heatsink.

I'm wondering two things. First, will using 2 fans on this heatsink significantly improve it's performance? Second what 120mm fans do people recommend for someone who wants good cooling at a reasonable noise level? (the Panaflo was good, I wouldn't mind going a little louder for more performance)

My instinct is to look for a pair of fans in the 80-110cfm range at around 40db.

i believe with a push/pull config on that you would be fine with less cfm...
the panaflos work great with lower power, i use a fan controller on 2 panaflos @ about 50% together they move lots of air with much less noise...

I had Yate Loon highs in push-pull on my old Ultra 120. They are rated at 88 CFM and 40 db each. The price tag is very nice as well, they can be had for about $5 each plus shipping.

For more fan info than you really need for your TRUE, read my testing thread here. Basically you will gain 1-2 C by going push-pull with the same fan as just going with 1 fan.

For good performing fans, my personal choices are the Panaflo L1BX and either the Yate Loon mediums or the Gentle Typhoons (57 cfm version) for a push-pull setup. If you were statisfied running a Panaflo M1BX, noise-wise, then those won't disappoint you.

If the computer isn't moved around at all and you are careful and make sure it feels fairly secure, then yes it will do ok. But for long term use I still prefer the wire clips on the 38 mm thick fans. But it made mounting the fans much easier with all the switching around I was doing. And believe it or not, that fan holder will work great on holding a 38 mm thick fan on a Megahalems; grabs the sides just right and holds well.

Anyone know a Canadian retailer for Panaflo fans? The specialty shop I've used in the past went out of business and I can only find the Ultra High model sold under the Rexus name at newegg.ca.

I can order them in from Sidewinder but I know I'll end up paying an extra $20 for the priviledge of getting them over the border.

I wish I could help you out there, Stryfe, but the only etailers I know of for Canada are NCIX and Newegg.ca. How about shipping via USPS priority if you order from a US based store? Do you get knocked for customs duties for USPS?

As for the fan clips on the regular (not extreme) Ultra 120, yeah they should work exactly the same. They just changed the number of heatpipes and the mount when they designed the TRUE from the Ultra 120.

I'm not sure about duty when shipping via USPS, I'll have to look into it. I'd like to avoid UPS as they always charge way more than anyone else for bringing things over the border. However, it looks like Sidewinder will only ship UPS to Canada. I'll have to see if other stores are different.

After looking at your testing I'm beginning to consider upgrading to the Venomous X. It seems to be quite the jump from the TRUE and probably even more from my original Ultra.

Looking at this page here, it looks to me like Sidewinder ships Priority Mail International, which I believe is USPS. You can always ask them to make sure.

As for the upgrade, get either a Rev. C TRUE or the Venomous X, depending on your budget. The Megahalems is also a good third choice and it has an excellent mounting system. And I know for a fact that NCIX sells them, as that is who I bought my Megahalems from. I would class all 3 as neck and neck runners-up. And any of those 3 would be a decent upgrade from the old U-120. I used to have one myself.

Excellent! USPS hands off to Canada Post which is a pleasure to deal with compared to the hell I go through everytime I deal with UPS.

I'll definitely be picking up a couple fans from Sidewinder. I'll have to ponder the heatsink upgrade for a bit, I've spent way too much money on computer parts lately. At least I'd still be able to put my perfectly good Ultra to use (back) in my AM2 system that's currently sporting some cheapo Thermaltake tower cooler that was free with a CPU.

Back