• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

multi-monitor, How do I switch to second monitor when fullscreen gaming?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mas5acre

multi-monitor, How do I switch to second monitor when fullscreen gaming? I have an iz3d and a viewsonic 22in When gaming on the iz3d how would I switch to the other monitor for internet surfing as my mouse cursor seems locked to the fullscreen gaming screen?

You will have to run the game in Windows mode. If you run it full screen and the game loses focus (you click another program, etc), it minimizes.

I know that in WoW, you can run it in "Windowed Mode" and then "Maximized" to get the "full screen" look, but you can do other stuff (like I'm doing right now, actually).

Do an ALT-TAB, it will minimize the full screen game, giving you control of your second Screen. I do this sometimes, having a walkthrough web page up on the second monitor. Some games crash when this happens. Older games mainly.

I had problems with a game, Oblivion, the 2nd or 3rd time I'd ALT TAB it would crash. MAss Effect 2, DAO, and Bioshock 2 doesn't at all.

Windowed mode can reduce framerates. Try windowed mode, if it works fine, just use it instead of full screen.

ALT TAB as mentioned above ^^ works.

EDIT:This isn't really what you are asking at all but I also learned recently that the "Win+P" key combination in Windows 7 switches between two monitors. This is really nice if for say you want to run a regular monitor and a large TV as a second screen. This feature In all of the games I have played would work flawlessly if both "monitors" are at the same resolution. (otherwise all games will require the resolution to be changed in the game itsself)
:comp:
I like that feature a lot though because if set up right you could switch "monitors" in less than a second! I just wish I had noticed it a long long time ago.

Last edited:
You may want to start a new thread on your issues Oscar as this one is nearly 5 years old. The theory's applied here may now be the same now with newer hardware?!

Back