• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

wow corsair h50 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ekko

wow this thing is 50$ is it really worth it?
it is any good?
rubbing my eyes..watercool for 50$ nah it cant be?
anyone use this before on i7?

I installed it last Sunday, very happy with it, I was having a cooling problem. two things I would like to have known about before installing. First, you have to pull the motherboard, I left everything connected ,but controller cards, and raised up the front, second big thing, I did not know about the cpu fan control. disable this. No were in the instructions does it tell you this. I found it on line while my computer was running over 90 c. I had never seen this thing. I went in the store to get a fan. Picked this up. Most of the time I read up on things before spending money.

E8600 @ 4.0 ghz 100 % prime95 62 c

For $50, it's most definitely worth it. Haven't ever seen it that cheap, but if you can get it for that, you should go ahead and jump before it goes away!

Ya - I wanna' know where I can get one that cheap as well ...! *drool*

where can u get it for $50 first of all? Secpnd, its about as good as high end air costing the same or less.

I would check out the Front Page article on this to see for yourself: http://www.overclockers.com/corsair-hydro-series-h50-review/
One thing that's not so obvious from tests, though, is the thermal mass of any water-cooling unit. For most people out there (Crunchers and Folders excepted) the CPU jumps to 100% usage for only a few seconds at a time. Any loop can take a 10 second jolt with almost zero impact on temps, resulting in a lower average temp from minute to minute, while the temp from an air cooler will jump within a second or two at most - picking up every little bump in the road, so-to-speak. That's always been one of the hidden beauties of water cooling ... :)

Last edited:
Heh, I'm sure most of us have spent more than $50 on a single W/C component. Worth doing as long as it's not an openbox or something, that could be bad mojo.

Ya - I wanna' know where I can get one that cheap as well ...! *drool*

One thing that's not so obvious from tests, though, is the thermal mass of any water-cooling unit. For most people out there (Crunchers and Folders excepted) the CPU jumps to 100% usage for only a few seconds at a time. Any loop can take a 10 second jolt with almost zero impact on temps, resulting in a lower average temp from minute to minute, while the temp from an air cooler will jump within a second or two at most - picking up every little bump in the road, so-to-speak ...
At $50 I would buy it too. Its fine for normal usage no doubt. But if you arent overclocking, looking for the best temps anyway, why buy an $80 cooler when a $35 air cooler will do the same job (noise/bling factor sure)? Do people even notice how quickly a temp rises and falls vs the $45 difference in price? I cant imagine they would personally. Although this product works, for MY needs, its just not a product that fits.

At $50 I would buy it too. Its fine for normal usage no doubt. But if you arent overclocking, looking for the best temps anyway, why buy an $80 cooler when a $35 air cooler will do the same job (noise/bling factor sure)? Do people even notice how quickly a temp rises and falls vs the $45 difference in price? I cant imagine they would personally. Although this product works, for MY needs, its just not a product that fits.

I don't think it's the question of if they notice the difference or not. What he is saying, and I agree totally, is that the sharp spikes in heat that you get with some air cooling are dissipated with water and a more linear increase/ decrease is less harsh on our CPU's. The H50 isn't for everyone, but it has it's place for people like myself and the folks who want some of the bennefits of H2O without the hassle of filling and maintenance.

I'm happy. I installed an H50 to replace a black TRUE - installed with same fan config, 2x 1600 scythe slipstream in push/pull - 20 passes of LinX nets ~4*C higher max temp (i5 750, 20x200 @ 1.34 bios) - but overall i'm very happy with it. less stress on the motherboard and it's not as crowded on my small M3G. plus i think it looks pretty cool. (now i just need to put everything back in my mini 180p) (also, crappy cell phone pic, sry)

Attachments

• piccurrent1.jpg
    piccurrent1.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 466
hell for $50 even I would consider it lol. though it wouldn't work the way i want it to. i sold my air cooler and destroyed my stock heatsink so when i have to clean my pc, i can't use it.

I don't think it's the question of if they notice the difference or not. What he is saying, and I agree totally, is that the sharp spikes in heat that you get with some air cooling are dissipated with water and a more linear increase/ decrease is less harsh on our CPU's. The H50 isn't for everyone, but it has it's place for people like myself and the folks who want some of the bennefits of H2O without the hassle of filling and maintenance.
I still get those spikes with water... that doesnt go away......Im just not sure what benefit at all that has. Every little bump in the road is still felt with water. The second I start P95 I go from 30-45C and then its a slow climb to 54C from there...I will admit I havent been on air in quite a while, but whats the difference if it shoots up to 50C and ends up at 60C vs shooting up to 45C and ending at 54C? Im not trying to be a tool, I honestly dont know, and seriously cant think of, any benefits that specific reason would bring to the people who would want to use this item.

And again I say, do those people notice or care about that temp fluctuation? Those that want a closed, low maitenence loop, Im guessing do not have that critical of an eye. If they truely cared, custom water would be the only way to go. I guess being an owner of one Pretzel, did you ever notice that difference or buy it to eliminate that issue? If it was such an issue with processor life, one would think that would be minimized in other ways. I dont guys, I just think that point is a non issue. :)

Last edited:
I still get those spikes with water... that doesnt go away......Im just not sure what benefit at all that has. Every little bump in the road is still felt with water. The second I start P95 I go from 30-45C and then its a slow climb to 54C from there...I will admit I havent been on air in quite a while, but whats the difference if it shoots up to 50C and ends up at 60C vs shooting up to 45C and ending at 54C? Im not trying to be a tool, I honestly dont know, and seriously cant think of, any benefits that specific reason would bring to the people who would want to use this item.
(emphasis added)

That IS the whole point - isn't even 5°C worth it? (I've seen people spend $100 or more for smaller changes than that!) Sure, in Prime95/OCCT testing the temps will rise over several minutes and top out the same but except for Crunching or Folding (as I mentioned originally) no one's rig does that in the normal course of usage. With water the temp will jump to 45°C, slowly climb to maybe 47°C in an extended battle or a particularly long piece of busy video editing, then start falling back as CPU usage drops from 95-100% to it's usual level. With air cooling the temps will rise from 45°C (assuming the same starting point for load) then very quickly rise to 55°C (or whatever) in just a few seconds. High CPU loads for short times are a lot more common during normal computer usage than a high load for a minute or more. As such, the maximum CPU temp during normal usage (for most people) will be lower with a water loop than with air cooling ...

Last edited:
5C worth it like was mentioned in this context, No. b/c the constant load temp in gaming or anything constant will likely be higher than with good air cooling anyway. So.... I still dont understand why having 5C higher 'blips' in temperature will matter to the target market.

I see now, I just dont happen to agree with its merits. As I noted on my custom water setup, there will still plenty of spikes/bumps in the road. I dont see how a 5C difference for a split second matters to anyone or could possibly considered a selling point for that product whose target market wants 'easy water cooling'. I just dont see those people giving a care in the world about a 5C difference in random transient CPU use.

Oh well. Thanks for expalining it a bit better QI! :)

I dont know, is my WC messed up? I still see significant differences in temps from idle to 'blip' type loads. Realtemp shows taht to me. I idle around 28-30C and just perusing the web one core may hit 43C while the others 'blip' in the upper 30s to low 40s. This happened on air as well. Water does not eliminate that at all.

Last edited:
For those out there that aren't methodical about their OC'ing (obviously because they haven't found OCF! ;)) they'll see a big difference. If they never test their system long-term they'll have a high OC while running WoW or whatever because they'll never see those high spikes.

As for me, I don't care about all the temp spikes. My systems have only have one spike: ON ...! :p

Last edited:
5C worth it like was mentioned in this context, No. b/c the constant load temp in gaming or anything constant will likely be higher than with good air cooling anyway.

be higher with water? or am i missing something?

With the H50 single fan (stock) setup, yes. With good higher end air coolers (TRUE, Tuniq120, Prolim Mega, Xigmatek on the cheap side). Am I mistaking? Looks like Chinstrap showed a 4C increase even with Push/pull over his TRUE...

I'm happy. I installed an H50 to replace a black TRUE - installed with same fan config, 2x 1600 scythe slipstream in push/pull - 20 passes of LinX nets ~4*C higher max temp (i5 750, 20x200 @ 1.34 bios)

Custom water though is of course a different story.

Back