• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading W7 RC to Home Premium

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Barryng

Last spring I installed W7 RC on my new laptop. The RC expires in less than two weeks so I have to finally bite the bullet and install the W7 Home Premium version I received last November.

Will the Home Premium version install over the existing RC or do I have to do a clean install?

You will always be best served to do a clean install imo.

I have read of people doing a install over on some window 7 forums, but, the process was more trouble than it was worth.

I believe that you cannot upgrade from a release canidate. I haven't tried but I read a MS bulletin about it a few weeks ago and I recall that being one of the items.

not recommended, but here is a link to go from RC to RTM

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-upgrade-windows-7-rc-to-rtm/

I'm actually in the same boat, windows just informed me that there is like 14 days left until expiration. I have win7 ultimate ready to go, just don't want to have to reinstall everything, but probably will.

edit:
also need this if you are going to home premium
"Open the registry and navigate to HKLM/Software/Microsoft/WindowsNT/Current Version. Change EditionID to HOMEPREMIUM and Product name to Windows7 HOME PREMIUM."

Last edited:
Thanks. I appreciate the efforts to help. I will do the upgrade this weekend.

LOl you gotta luv this stuff, I am half tempted to just upgrade but I have had driver problems and probably be better served with a clean install.:-/

Glad to see I am not the only one who squeezes a freebie till the last possible day.:p

Has anyone found the Windows XP compatibility available in Win 7 Professional to be of any use. In other words the only way they can run some old programs that otherwise would have to be tossed?

The advice to do a clean install is certainly valid. However, life is full of compromises. After doing two clean installs over the past six months, including the upgrade to W7 on my main desktop, I just do not want to spend the time and effort to do another one. Compounding this, I am going to be forced into another clean install next week on a surplus slightly used laptop I am getting very inexpensively from my employer. Since the laptop I started this thread about is only a minimal secondary machine that I grab when I will be away from home overnight, I intend to spend as little time and money as reasonably practical on it; ergo the overwrite in lieu of a clean install.

Waiting to the last minute to deal with the expiring RC is more or less by plan. I knew I would eventually have to do something with the RC but really did not want to spend any money or time on it so I intentionally put it off hoping some miracle would occur. Well, it was not exactly a miracle but I decided yesterday to give up waiting for my wife to upgrade her evil Vista machine to the W7 Home Premium version I bought last summer. Whenever she is ready (if it ever happens) for us to upgrade her desktop to W7, I will simply buy another copy of it.

dfonda, I have been forced into using the virtual XP mode on my main desktop. In short, it works but it is certainly not ideal. I have a six year old high speed HP scanner with document feeder that still works flawlessly. I use this scanner with an App called Paperport to scan all personal documents, bills, manuals, etc. This gives me a very convenient paperless filing system that is incredibly convenient and works very well. I have been using Paperport for almost 13 years so I am now very dependent on it. Unfortunately the scanner will not work under W7 and replacing it with an equivalent new one would cost about $700. Therefore I must use the XP compatibility mode. Although I can use the the scanner in this mode, the computer is noticeably slower and clunkier. Paperport also crashes unless I go through a little ritual I discovered by accident when I start Paperport. Also, Paperport, in XP mode, has some quirks that are annoying but easy to work around. Bottom line, if you absolutely have no other choice, the XP mode will be useful but it is not by any means the fast stable performer it was when installed by itself.

I'll try this method tonight. "Upgrading" a friend.

Did this tonight from the RC. It went well, on a WD Black drive it took longer than I thought it would (my last install was on a SSD drive.... oh I wish they were cheaper when I was building this guys' rig). Got it done in about an hour.

I also had a driver issue - the NIC wouldn't install. Fortunately he had another box there and I was able to pull down the Win 7 64-bit Realtek LAN driver so he could get on the net. I would strongly recommend if you are doing this upgrade you at least have that on a flash drive because it's the one piece you need for getting on the net. :)

dfonda, I have been forced into using the virtual XP mode on my main desktop. In short, it works but it is certainly not ideal. I have a six year old high speed HP scanner with document feeder that still works flawlessly. I use this scanner with an App called Paperport to scan all personal documents, bills, manuals, etc. This gives me a very convenient paperless filing system that is incredibly convenient and works very well. I have been using Paperport for almost 13 years so I am now very dependent on it. Unfortunately the scanner will not work under W7 and replacing it with an equivalent new one would cost about $700. Therefore I must use the XP compatibility mode. Although I can use the the scanner in this mode, the computer is noticeably slower and clunkier. Paperport also crashes unless I go through a little ritual I discovered by accident when I start Paperport. Also, Paperport, in XP mode, has some quirks that are annoying but easy to work around. Bottom line, if you absolutely have no other choice, the XP mode will be useful but it is not by any means the fast stable performer it was when installed by itself.

Thanks:) then that saves me from buying Professional I will be just as well served running any old apps I have in Win xp either by keeping 1 rig with it, or using the VMware player.

The apps I use are not very expensive to replace.

worked like a charm for me! thanks for the link buddy! :beer:

No problemo sir, here have a beer too, I'm drinking one. :beer: I thought this method was giving me problems on my laptop but it has smoothed out now, probably a low battery issue.

Back