• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ubisoft DRM update...This isn't going to be pretty...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can only think of two logical reasons at this point.

1. Ubisoft is being run by retarded monkeys who somehow become more retarded over time. Maybe they're doing some kind of new drugs that rapidly kill their brain cells over time or something.

2. They're doing this in purpose so they can play the blame game on piracy to try to fool the public that it has become 'more than ever before', once their sales numbers show up. Can fool the majority of the public with lots of ridiculous crap, but this... I don't see more than a few clueless ignoramuses falling for it.

though this practice of DRM may be infuriating please be mindful of forum policies dealing with warez and piracy.

talk about how there is piracy: ok

talk about how you are partaking in piracy: not ok.

theres a fine line in between there somewhere, try not to cross it.

Well it looks like I will have to torrent another game. Oh well...

First, reported.

Second, thanks to people like you, companies are actually resorting to insane tactics like this in an attempt to get a return on their ever-growing investments.

First, reported.

Second, thanks to people like you, companies are actually resorting to insane tactics like this in an attempt to get a return on their ever-growing investments.

The thing is the way I see it, these over zealous DRM's are costing them alot as well since they lose potential paying customers and spend a lot of money I'm assuming developing the DRM. By now you'd think game companies would relise 2 very major facts (no sources just lack of a better term), pirates will crack your DRM, and your DRM will tick off and runaway paying customers.

Let's just say I won't be spedning any money on this game. Take it as you want it.

The thing is the way I see it, these over zealous DRM's are costing them alot as well since they lose potential paying customers and spend a lot of money I'm assuming developing the DRM. By now you'd think game companies would relise 2 very major facts (no sources just lack of a better term), pirates will crack your DRM, and your DRM will tick off and runaway paying customers.

Hmm I had $50 in hand to buy Bioshock (the original version) and I could not wait to get the game. Once I read about insane DRM I never spent that money on it. It was their loss. If I see I game I like I will BUY it but only if the company that made it does not treat me as a criminal. I purchased a lot of Stardock games and never shared them. You respect me and I'll respect you.

These companies are trying to make profit and cover their expenses which can be huge. I fully understand the risk they are taking by investing in game that may bomb but I strongly disagree with their way of dealing with piracy. Piracy is there and always will be, some people are not honest enough and will not buy a game simply because they can get it for free. I am not one of those people.

DVD required to play and serial numbers are just fine with me. But crap like this is not.

It is sad people don't care about this, root-kit like software that can't be properly removed, resale value gone, various limitations and what people do?

They still buy crap, like f*****g sheep.

So excuse me Mr Moderator for voicing my disagreement.

That's exactly why it's a big deal. That and you don't know that the family of developers within Ubisoft won't be behind the best games to come in the future - they have a lot of star talent and reputation under their roof to be sure. You can be sure that should this DRM platform somehow ends up being hailed/perceived as a "working solution," other publishers and independent developers will take notice.

At some point, us paying customers have to define a line for ourselves to determine when enough is enough and our money is better spent on other games/activities. If we don't, the heavy-handed DRM steamroller will only continue to gain momentum in the industry.

Ubi....get back into making good games? Have you seen their PC releases over the past 5 years? Most of them are just continuations of older games. They run like crap on PCs, are buggy and provide very short-term enjoyment if you can overcome everything else previously mentioned.

There is no reason for anyone to follow in their footsteps. If anything, they'll watch Ubi try and fail hard...and learn what NOT to do. I'm sure many are doing this already.

Nobody in their right mind expects an awesome game if it has Ubisoft behind it. Even independent developers have produced more enjoyable games...and costing only 5 to 20 bucks.

Hmm I had $50 in hand to buy Bioshock (the original version) and I could not wait to get the game. Once I read about insane DRM I never spent that money on it. It was their loss. If I see I game I like I will BUY it but only if the company that made it does not treat me as a criminal. I purchased a lot of Stardock games and never shared them. You respect me and I'll respect you.

These companies are trying to make profit and cover their expenses which can be huge. I fully understand the risk they are taking by investing in game that may bomb but I strongly disagree with their way of dealing with piracy. Piracy is there and always will be, some people are not honest enough and will not buy a game simply because they can get it for free. I am not one of those people.

DVD required to play and serial numbers are just fine with me. But crap like this is not.

It is sad people don't care about this, root-kit like software that can't be properly removed, resale value gone, various limitations and what people do?

They still buy crap, like f*****g sheep.

So excuse me Mr Moderator for voicing my disagreement.

I'm with you man. I took the same route for gta4 until it was at a price I felt was equal to the crap they gave us, 19.99 at walmart. I was ok paying it then even after actually having the game illegit for nearly 8 months before paying for it.

Am I criminal? Sure, at least for 8 months I was. But I also retained my dignity and didn't give in like every other sheep. There have been lots of games I bought when they first came out because they were worth it, neverwinter nights, knights of the old republic, far cry.

I'm just thankful I have gotten into steam, because at least now, since I hardly every get new games, I can wait until xmas, save all money through out the year and drop it on tons of games for dirty cheap.

Last edited by a moderator:
but where does it end? If i find a way to play my purchased game with out DRM, is that piracy? what do I do if i wanna play AC2 but only have dial up? I think its crap and if the nerds of the net find a patch for it.. I'm all for it.

I don't consider that piracy, and I did pirate final fantasy 7 for the pc when I found out you had to basically edit the game in a billion ways for it to run on xp and vista, thankfully, it actually works on windows 7.

When i first actually bought the game it didn't work at all so luckily these were still the days when you could return software for full refunds. At that moment I just waited until I could get it my way, because I felt it was just horrible for Edios and square to never release a working patch for it and yup I had to go to the same nerd of the net for patches.

I'm with you man. I took the same route for gta4 until it was at a price I felt was equal to the crap they gave us, 19.99 at walmart. I was ok paying it then even after actually having the game illegit for nearly 8 months before paying for it.

Am I criminal? Sure, at least for 8 months I was. But I also retained my dignity and didn't give in like every other sheep. There have been lots of games I bought when they first came out because they were worth it, neverwinter nights, knights of the old republic, far cry.

I'm just thankful I have gotten into steam, because at least now, since I hardly every get new games, I can wait until xmas, save all money through out the year and drop it on tons of games for dirty cheap.

Illegal and Unethical Posts

Overclockers Forums prohibit the promotion of, and reference to, any program or website which contains or distributes Warez, Crackz, and pirated copyrighted material, including but not limited to music and video. Discussion of Warez, crackz, and pirated copyrighted material is not permitted in this forum. Any offer to provide or request to receive warez, crackz, and bootleg material will be deleted without notice and the offender will be warned. A repeat offense is grounds for permanent dismissal, without recourse, from these forums.

This is a serious issue for this Forum. Allowing discussion of and, by extension condoning the distribution of, said information jeopardizes the very existence of this Forum. As such, it will not be tolerated. For the long-term future of this site, please abide by this rule.

In addition to this, moderator staff may at their discretion choose to edit, remove or otherwise manipulate material they feel is not of a suitable ethical standard. This is entirely at the moderators' discretion. This may include for example: use of unsecured wireless networks, threads that discuss/poke fun at/otherwise unfairly involve people, organisations or sites in areas of the forum in which they cannot defend themselves. Discussion of banned members anywhere on the forums, discussion of members without General Discussion or Classifieds access in those areas or other such threads will be removed, possibly with an informal warning. This is often difficult to establish in a concrete fashion within our framework of rules, however if we remove threads for such reasons we will often provide an explanation.

How much longer do I let this go one?
I don't you want to crack/ hack or discuss this, you'll do it else where.
This is now your warning, and the closure of this Thread. ad it is not serving any purpose to the Forums.

More Posting of this nature will get the person a 3 day vacation.
Am I clear enough?

WarriorII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back