• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WTF Crashing and Freezing (Win7 64)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Helgaiden

Alright so lately my computer has been hanging and freezing often. Originally, maybe 8 months ago when I moved, sometimes my computer would stop at the Bios screen and wait there for a while. DFT would detect my HDD then later when running the test, the HDD would disappear. My mobo would give post code 75, some kind of HDD detection issue. My computer would hang when playing a game, watching a movie online, or surfing. Basic stuff, then when i pressed the reset button it would be there. Id have to turn it off and let it sit for 10 mins then it would work again (not always though). Anyways, i moved the connection to a SATA port on a different controller and that problem has gone away. However, the hanging still persists. Before this i had Vista 32. I got Win7 ultimate 64 and did a clean install and the lockup issues havnt changed from Vista to 7 (other than me fixing the HDD issue). Now it does it all by itself! I left for a few hours to come back to a computer that was frozen on the desktop. Sometimes it even just hangs when loading 7 (the 4 little colored lights on the loading screen just stop). Ive ran all every hardware test imaginable and they have all passed. Memory, motherboard, drives, HDD...all my hardware is fine.

I was suspecting my overclock may have been causing the hangs but its been working fine for years. Yesterday when i tried updated the mobo drivers from Evga, the computer hung every time. I had to do it in safe mode! All my temps are within proper ranges and when the computer runs, it runs fine (games and all). In fact, it hung up when i started typing this and had to retype it. Ive since turned my overclock off and loaded my bios defaults...hopefully that solves the issue (but im sad cuz it was a good overclock). Any other insight?

note: my graphics card was acting up a while back and died and i baked it it to revive it. This couldnt possibly be the culpirit could it? Its working fine now.

note 2: event manager isnt a big help. It does cite critical errors saying system was shut down improperly and stuff but doesnt give any better info than that.

i cant seem to find it, where would it be? Ive looked in computer management and searched and didnt see anything.

Hard lockups / freezes are normally caused by a lack of Vcore. Using RealTemp--> "Settings" page, make a note of the Core VID of your chip. Next use CPU-Z to record your Vcore while running Prime. Compare the two readings, and if the recorded Vcore in CPU-Z is lower than the Max. VID as read by RealTemp, then you'll need to increase the Vcore until the two voltages match. A reading in CPU-Z that's slightly higher than the VID is fine, but you don't want to see a lower voltage.

Go to the device manager (or bios if you can disable it there) and disable the SATA controller that you had to move the HDD off of. See if your hanging problem goes away. I'd be supprised if it doesnt.

turns out it was the RAM. I had turned my CPU overclock off and left the RAM overclock on...and the issues persisted.

Turned the RAM overclock off and turned the CPU overclock back on and its been running fine (got a new graphics card tho, 8800gts pooped out again and i didnt wanna bother baking. 5770 for $168 out the door is good deal). I turned the vcore back down. had it up to 1.325 to see if the extra voltage stabilized it. Got it back down to 1.3125 where ive had it forever.

what ram would be suggested to run DDR2 1066?

Ehhhh the problem is back. Once i just left the PC alone when it locked up and i heard the HDD access whenever the PC "moved" a little...but it was like it was in SUPER slow mo. After like 30 mins everything finally came back but none of my USB stuff worked, all the USB stuff was turned off. I plugged in a different mouse, windows installed it and it worked and i used it to restart the PC and everything was fine after the reboot. Ive bumped the Vcore up yet again and its still happening. Sometimes when it locks up and i restart it, the Post code 75 comes up but it isnt a real big help telling me what to do. If i wait long enough it goes through and boots, but lately ive just started entering the boot menu after it posts and manually selecting the HDD instead of just letting it go...one time after doing that my whole PC restarted THEN booted. Weird. But mostly when i do that, the win7 loading screen comes up and locks up there but if i wait long enough THEN it proceeds and boots to windows. It just seems to be random im not sure whats going on with this...

Hmm ill re-run HDD tests again and see if anything has changed. My HDD always seems to pass but that can always change quickly...

on a sidenote, 6hrs of memtest and the RAM didnt give any errors.

Try disconnecting extra USB devices and see if the problem continues. Sometimes you can overload the USB power and it will cause the same behavior you are having.

This happens especially with Gaming Mice, Keyboards, Headphones, DVD Drives and devices that run purely off of the USB with no external power supply.

I have the same issues with My Logitech Mic, G15 Keyboard and G9x Mouse... You can always plug in a powered USB hub and if it is the problem it MAY fix it.

Back