• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help! Someone Has he a 21" CRT (trinitron tube-130khz/170hz-pitch .24) ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Badmacks

Need help! Someone Has he a 21" CRT (trinitron tube-130khz/170hz-pitch .24) ???

Hello,

I don't know where to ask help, so I hope that I write in the right place...
And I hope to write correctly, I do not speak English fluently...

I have a big problem with my monitor (CRT) .. I can't use it beyond 60Hz and 1600x1200 with Windows 7 (64bit).
The plug'n'play looks dead (tested on XP x86), so most of the soft (RivaTuner, Powerstrip, etc.) can do nothing.

The only way is to make a x64 driver containing the EDID of the display ...

The EDID contains the monitor's characteristics (frequency, resolution, etc. ...), and is contained in an EPROM (in the monitor).
When you plug a plug'n'play monitor to a PC, Windows queries the screen to know the EDID, and records it in the registry database.

I have the procedure to create a driver, but I desperately need your help. :cry:

To do this, I would need have a possessor of this screen that would have the kindness to extract it via the software phoenix.exe (http://www.softsea.com/review/Phoenix-EDID-Designer.html)
or via google search = "Phoenix EDID Designer".

This edid, once extracted, will be recorded in ".Dat" which will be used during the creation of the special driver.

Of course, it's most difficult to find my model of CRT monitor because it's obsolete. So I managed to find some identical references to mine:

- Sony CPD-G520
- Dell P1130
- HP P1130
- COMPAQ P1130
- IBM P275
- SUN GDM-5510 (my monitor)

There may be others models that I have not found. Here are the mains features:

Vertical Synchronization Range -> 48 - 170 Hz
Horizontal Synchronization Range -> 30 - 130 kHz
Technology -> FD Trinitron

Thank you very much (in advance) for your help

Ps: Of course, I'll give you the procedure ... if that works ...

Last edited:
Err my apologies but I'm having a hard time understanding what you require.

I have a 21'' LaCie (Trinitron Tube)

Would you just need me to run the link you listed above to get the required information for you?

Welcome to the forums. :welcome: That said, your inquiry is a tough one. Can you provide some more information?

You say that you cannot use your CRT past '60Hz at 1600x1200'. Were you able to increase the screen resolution or refresh rate on another machine, previous OS or video card?

What is the make and model of the CRT? i.e. 'sony' + 'CPD-G520'.

Have you tried connecting it to another machine?

Last edited:
Thank you for your interesting to my problem.

-> Nechen

Yes, exactly.

Do you know if the specifications of your 21" are included between "30 to 130kHz" and "48 to 170Hz" ?
If you don't know them, can you give me the exact model?

-> nightelph

My monitor is a SUN Microsystems GDM-5510... A sony CDP-G520 renamed.
The models that i mentioned (Dell P1130, HP P1130, COMPAQ P1130, IBM P275) are also sony CPD-G520.

My plug'n'play is broken, but with Windows XP and "powerstrip" (after creation of a driver) i can use it in :

- 1280x1024@120hz (on windows7 desktop & several games),
- 1600x1200@100hz (favorite resolution for games)
- 1920x1440@85hz (other resolution for games).

I only use this resolutions...

With Windows 7 x64, and graphic card nvidia (sli of 8800gts 512MB) there is no problem, but with "ATI" (crossfire of 5850 - catalyst 10.2), i can't use my monitor up to 60hz wathever the resolution with a maximum of 1600x1200.

I progressed a bit since my 1st post:

In my research, I managed to run my monitor to 85hz (windows7 desktop only... Several games work @60hz, and the others @ 75hz). I asked in another forum, and someone gave to me the EDID of a Sony CPD-G500, but I can't modify it, because the EDID is already included in an inf file.

I fear that games only run in standard frequencies listed in the edid. Perhaps Windows7 force games to run at this frequencies...
Of course, I certainly should change some ".inf" files (inf file included in ATI video driver for exemple).

Plug n play is broken, eh? I don't have any experience making drivers unfortunately, so I wish you luck.

Dont use windows 7 :D Its a pile of bugs...

And that helps the OP how? :rolleyes: If all you are trying to do is spam away or diss a particular operating system, then I suggest you find another forum to visit because you won't last long here. That's a promise!

muddocktor
Forum Moderator

I'll check my Trinitron later on today and let you know.

Secondly, how the hell are/were you able to run 1600x1200@100Hz? I could only get 85Hz at that resolution lol

Thank you for your interesting to my problem.

-> Nechen

Yes, exactly.

Do you know if the specifications of your 21" are included between "30 to 130kHz" and "48 to 170Hz" ?
If you don't know them, can you give me the exact model?

-> nightelph

My monitor is a SUN Microsystems GDM-5510... A sony CDP-G520 renamed.
The models that i mentioned (Dell P1130, HP P1130, COMPAQ P1130, IBM P275) are also sony CPD-G520.

My plug'n'play is broken, but with Windows XP and "powerstrip" (after creation of a driver) i can use it in :

I only use this resolutions...

With Windows 7 x64, and graphic card nvidia (sli of 8800gts 512MB) there is no problem, but with "ATI" (crossfire of 5850 - catalyst 10.2), i can't use my monitor up to 60hz wathever the resolution with a maximum of 1600x1200.

I progressed a bit since my 1st post:

In my research, I managed to run my monitor to 85hz (windows7 desktop only... Several games work @60hz, and the others @ 75hz). I asked in another forum, and someone gave to me the EDID of a Sony CPD-G500, but I can't modify it, because the EDID is already included in an inf file.

I fear that games only run in standard frequencies listed in the edid. Perhaps Windows7 force games to run at this frequencies...
Of course, I certainly should change some ".inf" files (inf file included in ATI video driver for exemple).

And that helps the OP how? :rolleyes: If all you are trying to do is spam away or diss a particular operating system, then I suggest you find another forum to visit because you won't last long here. That's a promise!

muddocktor
Forum Moderator

Why, the post before mine helped ? I just wanted to say that i am not surprized that in win7 many things dont work ...

I'll check my Trinitron later on today and let you know.

No problem

...Secondly, how the hell are/were you able to run 1600x1200@100Hz? I could only get 85Hz at that resolution lol

....My monitor is a SUN Microsystems GDM-5510... A sony CDP-G520 renamed.

:D
With WinXP Pro... I simply created a driver with powerstrip ... in which I set the "max resolution" (2048x1536) and "max speed scanning" (130kHz & 170Hz) that my monitor can handle.

Then, I think I had to disable the option "Hide modes that this monitor can't display".
Caution, do not select a value too high when we change resolution ...

Last edited:
With WinXP Pro... I simply created a driver with powerstrip ... in which I set the "max resolution" (2048x1536) and "max speed scanning" (130kHz & 170Hz) that my monitor can handle.

Then, I think I had to disable the option "Hide modes that this monitor can't display".
Caution, do not select a value too high when we change resolution ...

Have you done this with Win7?

Sounds like it supports 7:
http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/ps.shtm

BTW, :welcome:

EDIT: Sorry, I just reread and understand what you need in order to work the magic with 7 and powerstrip. My comment doesn't help, but I'll leave it anyways.

No problem and thank you I.M.O.G. for the welcome (... and the others participants too)

i'm tired, it's late (12.05pm)... good night

Last edited:
Hi
So,

I can not edit the edid from the g500 gave ... I think it is incomplete or it has a problem ...

I installed my "special driver" with the EDID, and the only thing i get, is 85hz on the desktop of windows7... With games, my 21" ranges from 60hz to 85hz (in 1600x1200).
I even edited the files in ".Inf" of my graphics cards, and modify one of my vga/dvi adapter.

I don't find others EDID, so, i think that i'll come back to WinXP, this week-end...

Thank you anyway

Hi. I just got the sony gdm 5510 monitor. But i cannot get it past 112hz? i can only get 112 at 1280x1024, but at lower resolutions like 1024x768 i can only get 100. I was aiming for 120hz

I have windows xp 32bit and 8800gt. Do i need to do anything special like download drivers? Or do i have to get powerstrip? thanks

Back