• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XFX RADEON HD 5870 not getting along with ASUS P5N-E SLI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pacalcaco

Registered
hello everyone I have just picked up a XFX RADEON HD 5870 to upgrade my video gaming capabilities (had 2 nvidia 8600gt's) because I heard good things about the GPU. I instaled it on my ASUS P5N-E SLI mobo and I got no picture. I installed it correctly and even updated my bios before installing and still no picture. the fan on the xfx runs and I even hear windows start up but no picture. I was sad. so i checked my power supply and It is a Crosair 750 so it is solid. the cables are fine I switched back to my 8600gt's and they work fine and its the same monitor and cables. has anyone come across this problem yet. the mobo is capable of what the card requires for pci-e so I dont know what it could be? :bang head :confused: help please?

I'm guessing you're using the DVI output on the card. Did you try using the other DVI port, or have you always been connecting the card to the same port?
One of the ports is the primary port. If you don't have a source plugged into it, you may not get a signal.
You're getting into Windows, so the system does detect a video card. If swapping ports around doesn't solve it, try the card in another PCI-E slot or/and another PC.

I also tried that. I even tried the HDMI ports. I tried it on three different monitors and still nothing. unfortunately I don't have another pc that is capable of accommodating the XFX RADEON HD 5870. I appreciate your suggestion. I am using the DVI yes. tried both ports and nothing just the same problem fans and windows starts and no display. I am running windows vista. I read elsewhere that some one had the same problem but had not installed win7 and they installed win7 then the drivers for the card then the card and it worked(but on a different mobo not the same as mine) that almost seams like its not true. I would appreciate any help on this.

I would uninstall all video drivers, run Driversweeper in the Safe mode for all video drivers and install CAT 10.2.

OK I will try this tonight. I will cross my fingers and hope this works!

Sounds like you didnt dump all of your previous nvidia drivers with a cleaner before installing the 5870. Driver Sweeper works well with Vista, install the 8600's again and uninstall all video drivers from the control panel relating to Nvidia. Then reboot into safe mode (press F8 after POST when your computer is booting), and run driver sweeper there. After you remove all traces of the Nvidia drivers, shut down the computer.

Now you can put in the 5870 and it should boot into windows just fine. At this point you can install the Catalyst 10.2 drivers and you should be good to go.

I cant believe I forgot to dump my old drivers!! I think you are correct vixro. it must be that. I cant wait to try this solution! you guys/gals are awesome!! I think this is the problem why else would windows start up and the fan of the 5870 run with no screen showing. I will try that thanks!

still nothing! after trying the driver removing and putting the card back in still the same results! this card is giving me a headache! I still get the same problem fan runs (on the 5870) windows starts up but no screen. I even installed the cat 10.2 and nothing, so now I have a question(might be dumb) the card says pci-e 2.1, my mobo is pci-e 2.0...... could that be the problem or is it backwards compatible? I really want to fix this. I dont want to downgrade.help :(

Just for clarification, are you getting any video signal at all (can see POST and Windows loading) or just the loss of video when you first enter in Windows? I was under the impression that you weren't getting a signal at all.

As far as the PCI-E specs, it is backward compatible.

Just for clarification, are you getting any video signal at all (can see POST and Windows loading) or just the loss of video when you first enter in Windows? I was under the impression that you weren't getting a signal at all.

As far as the PCI-E specs, it is backward compatible.

I can't see anything on the screen not even in post. Nothing :( I think I will return the card and get another one that works.

I returened it. I picked up another but this has a different maker. The card that was not working was an xfx and the one I picked up is a dimand. And nothing again! :(

I returened it. I picked up another but this has a different maker. The card that was not working was an xfx and the one I picked up is a dimand. And nothing again! :(

Wow, I would be freaking out right now if I were you. Did you try running the 5870 in the other pci-e slot? I have no idea if it would work but might as well try everything. Also start up the computer and after you know windows loaded up unplug the dvi cable and try reconnecting it. Do you have onboard video? If so disable that. Good luck!

So the Nvidia cards work in your pc though? Maybe a BIOS setting? Reset your CMOS using both your jumper and by removing the battery.

Welcome pacalcaco,

Quick question, do you get no picture from start up? Sounds like a defective card to me.

All those saying clean out drivers - that isn't going to help him he see anything if he can't even see the damn thing boot into BIOS is it.

He can uninstall all ATI drivers with his 8600gt's... ;)

2 bad cards is just plum bad luck if thats the case. Wow.

Back