• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Project] Copper-Framed, MDF Station

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That looks damn good! Love the decal placement :D

I was wondering if you were going to chime in on the decal, I did a little advertising for you earlier in the thread :D

I've been pretty busy writing an article and trying to help our benching team get into the top 20 on HWBot, but here's a small update.

Here's the PCIe support capped off.
9sq74g.jpg

Hey MattNo5ss, this thread has really giving me some ideas. I want to do something similar but do use the copper piping as tubing for a water cooling setup. I was also thinking of building a lexan cube to fit around the benching station to enclose it and drill fan holes in the cube for airflow to the motherboard and non-WC components.

I wanted to know if you still had some of the designs for your water cooling system. I have a few ideas of my own too but it would be great to see what other people of thought of too.

What my plan is was instead of having the bottom level of the bench station hold components, i would have it be drilled out. I would also put legs on the four corners and raise it off the ground 4-6 inches and mount a huge car radiator about 1-2 inches below the bottom tier of the station horizontally and use it as a passive radiator. This would work great because in theory, the enclosed benching station above it would act as a sort of chimney creating the natural effect of sucking up the cooler air from the floor upwards towards the top thus passively cooling the radiator. I was also planning on putting a low RPM 240+mm fan on the top of the enclosure as exhaust which would just accelerate the chimney effect.

Again, your great work as really given me some ideas on doing something like this on my own.

Thanks for the compliments :)

I'm sure I have them somewhere...just have to dig around. My design was to have almost the same look as I've done, but use the copper frame as tubing for the water to travel across tiers. The entirety of the tubing wasn't going to be copper, just enough to go from the bottom to the top and vice versa, then use regular tubing to go from the copper's outlets/inlets to the components. Of course, I had to have a few separate sections of copper framing to keep the flow going in the right direction.

I'll see if I can find what I had when I set it aside; I was lazy and didn't feel like soldering...lol.

In your design, you talk about a chimney effect, but the air will have to go around the top tier to get to the exhaust. There's not a straight shot from the rad to the top exhaust.

Last edited:
The best "final" pic I have is the one in my album, but my projects are work-in-progress at all times. So, this is really an as-is pic, not a final pic :)

picture.php

I had remove the copper EMI shielding since it wasn't sticking very well and it would cut the crap outta me every now and then... Also, the power switch wasn't needed since the P55A-UD7 has on-board power and reset switches.

This is now my brother's system for music production, Photoshop, and AutoCAD. Currently the system consists of:

i5 750 (upgraded from i5 680)
GA-P55A-UD7
2x2GB Kingston HyperX DDR3-1600 (downgraded from G.Skill Pi 2000MHz)
MSI R5770 Hawk
WD Black 640GB (will be a 30GB SSD + the 640GB in the next couple of days)
NZXT 500W PSU

Just a thought...wouldn't it be cool if it was water cooling running through all of that copper pipes. :)

That was my initial idea, mentioned in the OP. I know I have my H2O version drawings somewhere in a steno pad, just can't find the book.

Back