• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

If it isn't one thing, it is another...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

torin3

Seems like anytime I go above 3ghz on my new i7 rig (and it is an 860, so 2.8 is my starting point), I can't boot into windows. The wierd thing, is since the fresh install, I get this occasionally happening at stock, but usually after a windows update or program install. A reboot and it boots up fine after that.

Also, it looks like one of my GPUs has suddenly decided to generate unstable_machine errors. I don't know if it is due to the slight overclock, or there might be a problem developing on my card.

Ughh...:bang head

Has win update changed the GPU drivers , had one of mine do that to me just after I had updated to better, win update changed the back to what they think is best,
Now win update turned off to notify only!

Has win update changed the GPU drivers , had one of mine do that to me just after I had updated to better, win update changed the back to what they think is best,
Now win update turned off to notify only!

+1 same thing happened to me and I remedied it the same way :D

Teach them to screw with my folding :D

I always set windows to notify only, no downloads until I start them.

Well, turning the overclock off, it looks like the GPU client is working again. I also checked and the work directory had a 59 files in it. That might have had an impact. Removed them and the queue.dat file and I seem to be ok now. About 3% into an 1888 WU. Before they would fail before they got to 1%.

I always set windows to notify only, no downloads until I start them.

Well, turning the overclock off, it looks like the GPU client is working again. I also checked and the work directory had a 59 files in it. That might have had an impact. Removed them and the queue.dat file and I seem to be ok now. About 3% into an 1888 WU. Before they would fail before they got to 1%.

glad you think you got it figured out.

I'm going to bed. My information is in your PM box.. I want to see an increase in my ppd dang it :D

Nice, glad its working. My 9800GX2 had a GPU that started doing that same thing a few weeks ago. I just turned off the system as I was about to pull an office space on it... and next day it was fine. Been running great ever since w/o an issue :confused:

Now the other part about windows not booting, that's new to me. What a pain!

You ever get this licked torin?

Not yet. I'm running A3 WUs on it right now until I can really work on it. I'm missing several settings in my BIOS from the guides I've found, so I'm having a hard time translating it. When I reduced my overclock the GPU client went back to normal.

Ok bro... just making the rounds, this thread didn't appear to get too much attention so I figured I'd throw a spark on it. Your troubles with LGA 1156, and all the socket issues, really make me want to steer clear of it.

Hope you get it figured out soon... I've been putting some distance on you again recently. ;)

I'm sure I'll live to regret those words... :D

I had to take down my work folding. That was 24K ppd going there.

I'm moving the cards into my home machine, and got another one and it will be an i7 1366 system. (EVGA 4-way board). So up 36K for the video cards, 25K for the 1366 system, and if I can get the 1156 system, another 20k.

So, consolidating 3 computers into 2, with a boost in PPD. I hope my power bill can take it.

Torin3,

I have three i860/Biostar T5XE at 3.6 (21x170), 2x2GB OCZ 1600 Gold, running U910 on 10GB ide with 4mb pci folding -bigadv, pulling ~185w, from Fry's combo last week. Using the bios, CPUv is set +0.60 to +0.12v, VTT is set 1.18 to 1.21v, ram is set 1.645 to 1.66v. The other voltages are at auto/minimum. Although the ram passed memtest approaching 1800, had to drop back a multiplier to 1360 to fold. They are open air on wood planks with budget coolers, TX3 on one and Silenx on the other two, with extra fan to make push/pull. These rigs have been stable past 3-4 days. Did not have any luck with high BClock on these budget boards.

Have you considered the PSU as weak point?
I could not get these boards to post with 500w psu with 18a-18a rails. One is running on Antec 650 with 22a-22a-25a rails, the other two are running on OCZ 600 with 25a-25a rails. I have another bare bone i860 running on a Corsair 400 with single 30a rail.

As a side note, I have retired about 6 dual core CPU folders to reduce the power draw and justify the upgrade to the wife. Figure the C2D were pulling ~750w (6x125x) for ~10-15K compare to 555w (3x185w) for ~72K.

I didn't forget this, just been really busy...

Torin3,

I have three i860/Biostar T5XE at 3.6 (21x170), 2x2GB OCZ 1600 Gold, running U910 on 10GB ide with 4mb pci folding -bigadv, pulling ~185w, from Fry's combo last week. Using the bios, CPUv is set +0.60 to +0.12v, VTT is set 1.18 to 1.21v, ram is set 1.645 to 1.66v. The other voltages are at auto/minimum. Although the ram passed memtest approaching 1800, had to drop back a multiplier to 1360 to fold. They are open air on wood planks with budget coolers, TX3 on one and Silenx on the other two, with extra fan to make push/pull. These rigs have been stable past 3-4 days. Did not have any luck with high BClock on these budget boards.

I finally got the translation I need for the BIOS (ignore the stuff I don't have), but I was waiting for the 4th GTX 295 to arrive so I could make sure that the overclock would work with all 4 cards in place.

Have you considered the PSU as weak point?
I could not get these boards to post with 500w psu with 18a-18a rails. One is running on Antec 650 with 22a-22a-25a rails, the other two are running on OCZ 600 with 25a-25a rails. I have another bare bone i860 running on a Corsair 400 with single 30a rail.

I don't think my PSU is a part of the problem. I've got a 1000W main PSU running the motherboard and 2 GTX 295s. Then I've got a 650W supplimental PSU that is running the other 2 GTX 295 cards. I'm actually pulling about 1150 watts through the UPS when folding with all clients. I've got one card that is overheating (gets over 100°C) that I think is due to dust in the fan/heatsink. I turned off 1 client, an nothing is running over 85°C. When I only had 6 clients running, I still had one that would go into the upper 90°C range. So, having 7 running cooler than 6 leads me to think just blocked air flow. So I'll be blowing them all out, and maybe mixing the card order up a bit to see if that helps.

However, since 1150 watts is overloaded for my UPS, I'm going to have to find a second one, or plug the supplimental PSU into the other half of the 20amp dedicated circuit.

As a side note, I have retired about 6 dual core CPU folders to reduce the power draw and justify the upgrade to the wife. Figure the C2D were pulling ~750w (6x125x) for ~10-15K compare to 555w (3x185w) for ~72K.

Power bill shot from $130 to $200 when the rate cap was lifted. And I'm not even using the 20HP compressor much.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. I'm looking forward to getting my PPD back to normal.

That's funny... At the same time I do and don't look forward to your PPD coming back ... why is that? :D

Back