• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Yes, another 1st build question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gamblerS4

I am totally excited to begin my first build. I'm going to list what I've decided on for components because i am a noob:

Case: SILVERSTON TJ08 (black)
Mobo: ASUS P7H55-M PRO RT
PSU : CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W RT (probably over kill)
CPU : INTEL CORE i3 530
MEM :2Gx2 KST KHX1333C7D3K2/4GX RT
HD :WESTERN DIGITAL CAVIAR BLACK 640GIG
DVD :LITE-ON IHAS424-98 R
G-card :Undecided as of now (haven't researched this eneough yet)
Heatsink: Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H50

From my exhausting researsh (and budget) I won't need a quad-core therefore a dual-core should (will) suffice. I justified the i3 mainly because the i5 "turbo" ain't much of a performance enhancer to justify the cost. This will be my everyday computer and I don't game. I am going to use this puter to surf, music player, and eventually record some shows off the t.v. amongst other things.

So I will be receiving my parts this week and proceeding with the build (also have/will be researching info).

One of my questions is that I do plan on Oclocking and have read "The Guide" :) but do I need to break-in my computer? Maybe just general usage for a few weeks before I attempt (fingers crossed) my over clocking?

I would appreciate any input (parts, build tips, guidelines etc...) to make things go smoother.

Thanks in Advance!

Last edited:
:welcome: I don't think that there is a specific amount of time that you need to wait. I just think that you need to make sure that your rig is 100% stable before you start to overclock. You do that by running stress tests such as Intel Burn Test, OCCT and Prime95, etc and by using your rig for everything that you can think of. Play music, movies, games, surf and then when you are certain everything is good, start overclocking.

You can do a mild over clock at first, run it for a while and then a few days or so later overclock more until you reach your limit. The guide is an excellent source to use along with the members of this forum. Just take it slowly and follow the instructions and you'll be fine. Remember you can always reset the CMOS to default settings if you mess it up. We've all been there.

:welcome: I don't think that there is a specific amount of time that you need to wait. I just think that you need to make sure that your rig is 100% stable before you start to overclock.

Thanks and thanks!

I will be sure to run her for a bit and put some load on her before over clocking

The i3 is a good choice for a basic machine, the 650 watt psu however, is way overkill especially if you don't plan on adding a video card for gaming. The integrated graphics will work just fine for basic stuff like web surfing etc. I'd say step down to the Corsair 400 watt psu and see if the savings will allow you to squeeze a SSD into your budget.

I hear ya that it is overkill for the PCU but the price was $99w/ a $20 rebate and i'm not sure if i can beat that price for a quality unit.

*edit* I did find the CORSAIR 400w which is $45 after rebate, hmmm.
*reedit* Just ordered the 400w and will return the 650w

Last edited:
The 400 will do you well, even with a fairly high end GPU.
It should run that system+ a 5850 GPU if you aren't overclocking to the moon.
A more reasonable GPU like a 5770 (still very fast) would be a cake walk for it.

Back