• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[O/C]Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nice

What sort of temps do you get?

I was considering two MCR220s with a 655 pump, Apogee GTZ and a water block too.

At present, my silent air setup with stock CPU settings is getting a range of between 25c to 56c running OCCT PSU test. With fans on full, I get between 25c-50c.
IMG_0059.jpg

Only change to the above pic is that I have moved the S-Flex E from the bottom of the case as an intake, and mounted at the top/back of the case as an exhaust.

With my modified Zalman cooler (2x Scythe 92mm gentle typhoons) - glad I have the VGA retention bracket to keep it supported!

I am getting GPU temps in OCCT PSU test of between 16c and 45c and with both fans on full - 13c to 31c! Thats with the card running at GPU-780MHz RAM-1090MHz!

Awesome job Owenator!! That looks great.

BTW, I think you forgot to plug your motherboard back in. ;)
Yeah it's not all juiced back up in that shot. I also removed the Thermaltake fans and just used two 140mm in the bottom of the case wiht no fans in the top.

Here it is all filled and running.
HPIM4405.jpg

Yeah I thought it looked quite slim up there - so is it just 4 fans in the whole system?
You're both right - no fans on top. I was planning on the 140's up there but they don't fit. :( The existing 120's I have are too loud so I was running no top fans until I get quieter alternatives. I was thinking of using the rear 120mm from this case and then scavenging a second from the second CM690 II I have coming today. I am debating on a homemade window in the side also.

I've decided to keep the second CM690 II as I seem to always need spare mid size cases. Not sure what I'll do with the old Thermaltake Armor beast. Maybe a server?

What sort of temps are you getting? Do you reckon the loop would handle one of your graphics cards too?

Yeah I thought it looked quite slim up there - so is it just 4 fans in the whole system?
Slim is fine - you can put 25mm fans in between the top panel & the case itself, so the only thing taking up space inside is the radiator. :)
You're both right - no fans on top. I was planning on the 140's up there but they don't fit. :( the existing 120's I have a re too loud so I was running no top fans until I get quieter alternatives. I was thinking of using the rear 120mm from this case and then scavenging a second from the second CM690 II I have coming today. I am debating on a homemade window in the side also.

I've decided to keep it as I seem to always need spare mid size cases. Not sure what I'll do with the old Thermaltake Armor beast. Maybe a server?
Ahh, gotcha. Just glad you're not leaving it fanless. :)

Do you have a boat? It might make a good anchor. ;)

What sort of temps are you getting? Do you reckon the loop would handle one of your graphics cards too?
I haven't started temp monitoring yet but now that it's fully bled I will. I really did this rebuild to get quiet more than cooler.

Thats what I would be aiming for too. I use PC a lot at night and it's in our bedroom, so silence is priority.

Am adding 3 more S-Flex Es to the case, two on the bottom as intake and another up top as an exhaust. They will all be set to run at 660rpm so they won't be heard. I can then use them for the rads if I do go watercooled.

One change I have made to the case is to block off the two 140mm side vents, currently with just some sound deadening material as is sticks nicely, but looking for a better alternative. Blocking these off has made no negative change to the temps so am happy with that.

I also cut away the rear honeycomb style fan shroud on the rear of the case with a dremel to cut down on air turbulence:

There aren't any available in the US, at least from Newegg. They have none listed on their site either. if you want one, looks like you have to make your own. :)
I saw the one at the CM site but I have no problem making my own. After I move/add the 120mm fans, I'll try by blocking off the side vents to force the airflow up and out like gcwebbyuk did. That should help my setup. MI don't think I need the rear fan either as my two GTX260's move a lof of air out of the case.

I am just thinking, if I go down the route of watercooling, then a side window to show it off would look good. I may consider getting one made for me, maybe even with tinted perspex/acrylic so it still has the stealthy look. I think if I don't go full watercooled then I may get an H50 or try a CM V10...

Just got an email from CM saying they are soon to have the side window available in the uk, but no date as of yet.

I am just thinking, if I go down the route of watercooling, then a side window to show it off would look good. I may consider getting one made for me, maybe even with tinted perspex/acrylic so it still has the stealthy look. I think if I don't go full watercooled then I may get an H50 or try a CM V10...

Just got an email from CM saying they are soon to have the side window available in the uk, but no date as of yet.
In the US Tiger Direct has them listed as RA-692-KWN1.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...p?EdpNo=16818&sku=C283-3074&srkey=RA-692-KWN1

120mm. Don't remember which brand...Hyper something. Too loud at 12v so I run it at 7.

Steve
Thanks! I was wondering how big that opening was in the clear "grill" part. I am trying to reduce my fan count or use as big of fans as possible.

Back