• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[O/C]Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

Cooler Master has been in business for more than a decade. They were "founded with the mission of providing the industry's best thermal solutions." The <a href="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119216" target="_blank">Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced</a> that we'll be looking at today, which is a significant update to <a href="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119137" target="_blank">the venerable RC690</a>, a budget champion for wire management with superb airflow, aims to push them further toward that mission.

<b>Packaging and Specifications</b... Return to Article

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much!

If anyone has any questions about the case that I didn't cover, I'm happy to answer them. Ask away!

Great article!

I've been admiring this case from afar for quite some time. Pulled the trigger today. I plan on building it wiht two swiftech 220 radiators one on top and the new pump attached one in the bottom. I'll have a "Y" line for filling going up top. My initial plan is to just have two 140mm fans in the top space with the bottom rad without fans entirely. I'll post up once I've done the build with some pics.

I'm looking forward to a quieter and smaller foot print system to my current Thermatake Armor beast. I'm also going to see about switching/modding the 2/4 drive bracket to 4/2 layout and removing only the bottom two if possible. We'll see.

Thanks!

That's a brilliant idea for all internal water. Don't forget to take note of their installation orientation requirements (looks like you have already). :)

Show us pics when you're done!
Thanks for the kind words!

Yep, I saw the orientation guide. I'm going for the (*2) - horizontal & flat face up. My first thought is to have the reservoir end by the front of the case to potenially use for draining as the lowest point. I'll see how it all fits when the parts come in later this week.:santa:

I will be interested to see how this build goes :)
Gee why? ;) I liked your write up too. It also convinced me to get this case.:rock:

I got the rad, fan and fillport I ordered today but the case was shipped separately. I hope to have it soon then I can start building!

EDIT: The seller let me down.:( They didn't really have the case in stock like they claimed. Instead they had one drop shipped to me from Coolermaster. Apparently Coolermaster shipped it UPS GROUND!:mad: I won't get it until Monday. Ticks me off because I payed them for three day shipping when I ordered it on Monday. They should have done the stand up thing and told me they had to do this but they didn't and now there is no hope of me having any updates until next week. :bang head

Last edited:
Ok, this is just so freaking cool. Got a W/D HDD back from RMA. Didn't feel like opening the case...so I popped that sucker into the external HDD tray, restarted and bam - new HDD.

It's far from a permanent solution of course, but to test a new HDD it's far easier than having to install it and less of a pain than dealing with eSATA.

So another great benefit to the CM690 II Advanced. I just touched on it in the review, but it's much cooler than I considered it at the time. Yay!

EDIT - I just noticed your edit Owenator. I'd be ripping someone a new one until they refunded that extra money you paid for shipping. Regardless if they told you or knew they had to do it, they darn well shouldn't take your money for shipping they can't provide.

I have used it a LOT.

For instance this week: backing up a faulty laptop when the laptop wouldnt boot - removed, put in X-dock - backed up using Acronis - new drive in X-dock - restored to new drive, put back in laptop - sorted.

It's just so easy and convenient.

Ok, this is just so freaking cool. Got a W/D HDD back from RMA. Didn't feel like opening the case...so I popped that sucker into the external HDD tray, restarted and bam - new HDD.

It's far from a permanent solution of course, but to test a new HDD it's far easier than having to install it and less of a pain than dealing with eSATA.

So another great benefit to the CM690 II Advanced. I just touched on it in the review, but it's much cooler than I considered it at the time. Yay!
Cool! That was a big selling point for me too.

EDIT - I just noticed your edit Owenator. I'd be ripping someone a new one until they refunded that extra money you paid for shipping. Regardless if they told you or knew they had to do it, they darn well shouldn't take your money for shipping they can't provide.
Well, because I have more money than patience I actually bought another 690II from Newegg that's coming today. Woot!

I'll have to decide when I get the new one if I'll return it or keep it as a spare. I'm leaning toward the spare idea. :D

Well, because I have more money than patience I actually bought another 690II from Newegg that's coming today. Woot!

I'll have to decide when I get the new one if I'll return it or keep it as a spare. I'm leaning toward the spare idea. :D
Hahaha...I wish I shared that problem!

What are the differences between the advanced and basic model?
Per CM web site -

Advanced features:
  • Oversized front and top mesh design for superb ventilation.
  • Accommodates 120 x 240 mm radiator inside the top or bottom.
  • Dust-control filters for all meshed areas.
  • Air cooling support for up to 10 fans (with support for up to 5 x 140mm fans).
  • External SATA X-dock .
  • Front blue LED fan on/off switch.
  • Rear retaining holes for water cooling kit.
  • Includes 1.8" & 2.5" HHD and SSD adapter.
  • Cable management and CPU retaining hole for easy maintenance.
  • Includes VGA card bracket (supports triple GPU card).

Basic Features:
  • Oversized front and top mesh design for superb ventilation.
  • Accommodates 120 x 240 mm radiator inside the top or bottom.
  • Dust-control filters for all meshed areas.
  • Air cooling support for up to 10 fans (with support for up to 5 x 140mm fans).
  • Front blue LED fan on/off switch.
  • Rear retaining holes for water cooling kit.
  • Cable management and CPU retaining hole for easy maintenance.
:)

Still not sure if I am going to keep my case as an air setup or go WC....

I have 2 scythe quietdrives now for my seagate 3.5" drives mounted in the 5.25" bays.

The fans I am using are pretty much silent, and am currently running stock speeds - but as the case is so well designed for watercooling it keeps making me go back and want to do it!

Just need to put some cash to one side to spend on it, although next purchase is an SSD....

Thanks mate - I already have a long thread on there trying to weigh up the pros/cons of watercooling for silence (in fact you have helped with a few questions on there :) ). At the mo it's such a big investment to make, as I know I will get addicted and keep spending! I have bought about as much as I can with regard to air though, so it is the next step.... SSD first, then WC a little later in the year I think, especially as I now have PC under the desk so it's not right next to my ears

My watercooled CM690 II:
HPIM4398.jpg

That's one MCR220 and a MCR220 Drive in series.

Last edited:
Awesome job Owenator!! That looks great.

BTW, I think you forgot to plug your motherboard back in. ;)

Back