• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how should i make my computer look cool?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes on the strobe light, I used to have a little green one years ago in an old Socket A system. That thing was so annoying, it used to make a very high pitched noice before every flash. Sort of like an old camera charging it's flash.

Nay to massive amounts of light unless you have added a switch to turn them off.

The only reason I think Lights are necessary is if you want to show off your computer. Frankly I like the "sleeper" look. Its more about whats under the hood then what you can see with the naked eye.

Now for mods I agree with cable management, it makes your build look sooooo much cleaner and helps a lot when blowing out the dust or wiping stuff down.

And ducky, I saw that case on a 5k computer deal on ebay. :) 5000 dollars is crazy!! I hope that isn't where you got it. It is a nice looking case though. I hope the air flow is good. Don't go and muck it up with doodads and widgets.

Excessive lighting is just plain unpleasant to look at. I prefer a more clean look. If you want lighting, go with white LEDs to highlight certain points of your build.

As for watercooling, if you really want, you can do it to look "cool", but please, for the love of god, do some research before jumping in blindfolded.

Just look around at various galleries of peoples rigs and see what you like. Come up with a color scheme, and stick to it.

all i would do is have water cooling going to every thing Videocard ram cpu briges ect
than have uv reactive tubing and coolant with 2 uv lights at top and bottom the water cooling itself looks amazing and you can hook the 2 lights to a switch and turn them on and off (no fan led's)

people use uv reactive tubing? i thought that was just the coolant that looked so cool! :D. what would you pple chose for color of the tubing?

I'm resurrecting a 6 year old thread. WOOOOOOOO! -Ric Flair

I specifically chose very nice looking parts for my computer. It has LED RAM, an LED AIO water cooler, a couple of LED case light strips, and everything matches very well.

Is there anything else I can add to increase the coolness factor? I was thinking it might be cool to add super-small LEDs under the M.2 cards, but I can't think of a good way to configure it without having messy-looking wires. Any ideas?

This post would be great in one of your build threads...not a 6 year old thread that isn't yours, lol!

That said, I'm not a huge proponent of all the bling, honestly. I'm not trying to make a state fair in my case!! Not sure how you would hide those wires for the m.2.. I'd go with what you have honestly.

I'm resurrecting a 6 year old thread. WOOOOOOOO! -Ric Flair

I specifically chose very nice looking parts for my computer. It has LED RAM, an LED AIO water cooler, a couple of LED case light strips, and everything matches very well.

Is there anything else I can add to increase the coolness factor? I was thinking it might be cool to add super-small LEDs under the M.2 cards, but I can't think of a good way to configure it without having messy-looking wires. Any ideas?

Have you sleeved your PSU cables? You could sleeve the cables for your LEDs under the M.2 idea too.

I think you can really go overboard with the whole coolness factor. I prefer a clean neat case with a few highlights here and there to really make the inside pop :attn:

Since we've already resurrected an old thread, and specifically talking about lights in a case, does anyone know how to turn off the light up buttons on the Gaming 7 board?
I'm with ED, not a fan of bling, and that button is the only thing lit up in my case and really bothers me. It's brighter than I would have imagined.

or just pile on when it was suggested to leave it alone.. LOL...

I would imagine either in the BIOS or with Windows based software, if its possible. You also would want to make your own thread in order to get the best help if that doesn't do it for ya. :)

As dgb303 says, it is all your choice really. The most simple PC mod is adding cold cathode (CCFL) or LED lighting.

CCFL's can be had in many colours (even mixed colour in one tube), you can even have them flash to the sound if you like. CCFL's are great for lighting up an entire case, even just two tubes (12inch ones) will usually be enough to light a large case.

LED lights are more like a spot light, lighting up one small area that you point it at. Although they dont flood the case in light as a CCFL would they allow you to highlight parts of your case and can usually be hidden away easyier than CCFL's

You can also get fans with round CCFL's mounted to their frame if you look around. I much prefer the normal LED fans, Xigmatek make some really cool looking ones :)

As for colours, well thats a matter of your personal choice.

Heres a few pics of mine just to give you a few ideas maybe: Yes yes, I know. I will work on my cables soon :)

DSC00199.jpg

DSC00198.jpg

DSC00209.jpg

I am running the white Xigmateks, they look better than the old red Akasa fans right???

DSC00212.jpg

DSC00067.jpg

An old air-cooled pic with a different mobo:
DSC00128.jpg

DSC00129.jpg

Messy case! Clean up those cords!

Back