• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newb question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Turning it off will greatly reduce production

From what I wrote, he honestly thought I was a big enough newb that I didn't know turning off the computer would stop the folding. That "gentle response" had me laughing for a bit. I could have been a 12 y/o girl with low self esteem. If he knew I was a 30 something guy with a bit too much self esteem, he may have said what he was thinking.

Knowing that it wasn't going by the last frame, I'm not sure I ever really got the 21kppd. It's been running stable and not using rig for anything but folding since last night - 14.9k and 2.4k ppd for SMP and GPU clients respectively.

After my Gpu project ends, I'll try the SMP alone and then together with the different settings to get a real picture of what's working. Tweaking with this will probably net me more increase than when I loaded this on my 4 other [lesser] computers and my PS3.

Thanks again

After testing, it looks like adding the -smp 7 gives the best results for the gpu and cpu to work together. This gives only a marginal PPD increase over the CPU alone when there is no load. CPU usage is about 89-90% which leaves plenty of room for my regular usage. At best settings, I get 18k ppd with CPU alone under no load. Under average usage, it drops down to 15k ppd. With the settings you gave me, under normal usage, it still averages out to over 18k ppd when the GPU runs. Without the -smp 7 flag, the best I could get out of the 5850 and CPU was 17k under no load. I can live with 18k - it sure does help me get ranking over those that haven't finished a WU in 4 years.

Specifics for future reference: Been copying video from HD camera to disk for the last few hours(video displayed on screen as well as on camera), along with low-load regular stuff. 14.4k ppd average while running where normally it would be much lower with cpu alone. CPU meter reads 100% while working then drops to 89% when finshed a rip to hard drive. Anybody that uses their computer while folding with this card may find these to be the right settings as well.

Last edited:
Back