• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newb needs help with RAM timing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eclipse98

Hi All,

I built a PC a while ago with this RAM (OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227381

Timing spec is 7-7-7-24. Voltage 1.65V.

Now I want to upgrade to 12GB RAM, but above RAM appears to have been discontinued and difficult to come by, so the prices really bite :eek:

Newegg has same OCZ Platinum RAM but with different timing (8-8-8-24), same 1.65v voltage:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227365&Tpk=N82E16820227365

I have this mobo (GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD4P LGA):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128374

I have very little knowledge of RAM timing so I turn to experts -- would it work if RAM has slightly different timings in different channels or do I need to find the one that has exactly the same timings.

Thanks for your help ! Davie.

no, considering the ocz stuff is a bit unstable to begin with, you are going to have a very crash prone system if it works at all. I personally wouldn't fill six dimms, let alone mix n match. ocz gold != ocz platinum, either, it's not just the timings that are different.

no, considering the ocz stuff is a bit unstable to begin with, you are going to have a very crash prone system if it works at all. I personally wouldn't fill six dimms, let alone mix n match. ocz gold != ocz platinum, either, it's not just the timings that are different.

Fair enough on timing and Gold/Platinum difference I missed -- that being said, why would you not fill six dimms if exact same memory modules are used ?

Thanks !

that should work why you need all that mem...
have 4 gig and its more than enuff for me along whatever i decide to do game, surf,watch dvd,etc... not to mention my pc folds 24/7 in the background...

that should work why you need all that mem...
have 4 gig and its more than enuff for me along whatever i decide to do game, surf,watch dvd,etc... not to mention my pc folds 24/7 in the background...

Boucher, I assume you refer to "using same modules" rather than 8-8-8-24 RAM when you say that should work :)

I am running Windows Server 2008 R2 and 2 virtual machines (Server 2008 R2) through Hyper-V -- that leaves me with about 2Gb of RAM per machine which is pushing them to the limit -- I am planning on upgrading to 12Gb, adding a new VM and splitting them equally to 3Gb each -- I do software development for living in case you wonder why I need so many VMs :)

well, I didn't see whether or not you were overclocking, but for some reason filling all your DIMMS introduces a lot more reliability problems, especially when OC'ing. If you are running the whole system stock speed and voltages etc, it *may* work with mixed timings. But I wouldn't rely on it, and you may have to RMA the memory and get matching kits.

don't mix timings. it will work but like brooklyn said it will be very finicky and crash prone. If you absolutely need more ram then you will need to buy all new sticks to be safe and stable

don't mix timings. it will work but like brooklyn said it will be very finicky and crash prone. If you absolutely need more ram then you will need to buy all new sticks to be safe and stable

Jarlmaster and Brooklyn, thanks for your help !

Not going to mix timings (I am not OC'ing BTW) -- looks like have to shell out $220 for matching modules, was hoping I could get away with OCZ Gold for $126 (AR at NE).

Thanks again, Davie.

Back