• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Torn between 2 SSD drives - Help pick!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IKIKUINTHENUTZ

After days of research and looking into the new world of SSDs while getting advice from fellow OCFers via AIM, I narrow down to these 2 drives.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...136&cm_re=kingston_ssd-_-20-139-136-_-Product
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...167016&cm_re=intel_ssd-_-20-167-016-_-Product

Either I get the 128gb Kingston or I get the 80gb Intel drive.

Now I do know the Kingston is based on the newer Jmicron controller in which fixed the dreaded studder problem of the past generation chip along with giving a boost in cache and speed. In the other hand, the Intel is using the G2 chip in which shows improvements over it's predecessors. Both drives support TRIM.

This is one of the few reviews I found that talks about the Kingston drive with it's new chip. It shows the Kingston drive behind in most areas compare to the Intel drives.
http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=872

Now I do plan to use a SSD as a boot drive and to install my games. The amount of space in the Kingston drive will be beneficial. While I'm a bit iffy on Intel's lower amount of space. Either one SSD beats my hard drives in read so I don't think that would be a problem.

Now my question is, What SSD do you think I should go for? If I take the Kingston over the Intel, how much a difference in speed I will notice in gaming applications compared to the Intel?

Don't pay too much attention to benchmarks. You aren't going to notice any difference in performance 95% of the time. I'd snag the Kingston drive - it's a good deal.

I thought the same too, the read is too fast that it really doesn't matter and any SSD can beat 2 traditional HDDs in raid 0. More inputs are appreciated.

Careful careful.... as far as I know, the Kingston drive you have linked is a V and is based on the older JMicron controller. You want the V+ ... that has the newer controller. That is why the price of that Kingston V is so low.

Careful careful.... as far as I know, the Kingston drive you have linked is a V and is based on the older JMicron controller. You want the V+ ... that has the newer controller. That is why the price of that Kingston V is so low.

SNV125-S2 is the older Jmicron chip v series drive which used J602. The new Jmicron controllers are in SNV425-S2 which is in the Newegg link I provided, uses J618 die made by Toshiba w/ 64mb of cache according to the pcper review and info from the Kingston site.

V+ are currently have Toshiba T6UG1XBG (a souped up Jmicron) w/ 128mb of cache but I refuse to pay the price premium.

Sobe said:
If you are willing to, look at the Western Digital SSD offerings.
WD SiliconEdge Blue SSC-D0064SC-2100 2.5" 64GB
Faster read/write speeds ftw?

For the same price I rather not get less space, ill pick 128gb over 64gb any day. Also if I wanted something for 64gb then I would get this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233108 It uses Barefoot controller however I don't want to buy something that Corsair announced that there will be no updates http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showpost.php?p=439321&postcount=6

Just noticed those the other days, I'm curious to see how they stack up against an X-25 G2 or any of the OCZ drives.

Its performance is similar to the older Vertex drives. X-25 G2 is certainly faster.

I do wonder if WD will offer a Silicon Edge Black line, as this is their Blue line.

I have been thinking of getting a ssd too. and would also like to know wich of the two is the better choice.

Is the intel drive going to stay at that price? Other site like amazon seems to have higher price. I al asking because newegg didn't show any savings beside the original price which make me think the price will stay as it is now for the intel ssd.

I have been thinking of getting a ssd too. and would also like to know wich of the two is the better choice.

Is the intel drive going to stay at that price? Other site like amazon seems to have higher price. I al asking because newegg didn't show any savings beside the original price which make me think the price will stay as it is now for the intel ssd.

It's cheaper because it's OEM

That review shows the new Kingston doing pretty poorly in IOPS compared to the other drives.

Honestly, I don't know how important that is to the overall feel of the device, but I'm skeptical of anything made by jmicron.

What makes IOPS important? Does it impact games? I know for a fact that I am not using this for file servers, webservers,and databases.

Just games and OS boot up is all I worry about for the SSD drive.

Last edited:
What the heck happened to SSD prices this weekend? The Intel X-25M 160GB was $429 on Friday, and now its $489 on Monday? WTF? Same with Amazon...

What makes IOPS important? Does it impact games? I know for a fact that I am not using this for file servers, webservers,and databases.

Just games and OS boot up is all I worry about for the SSD drive.

well im using agility 60 drive be it in raid. IOPS matters most to some but with my OLD Solid 30gig drive. i didnt run into problems doing things till it got close 30gig full. it didnt have really high IOPS compared to others out there. for desktop and gaming it did the job just fine, fast foward to today. i woulndt waste my money on a drive that does have a jmicron controller even if 128gig's was somewhat cheap. though the reviews say things for this Jmicron based drive are different. somehow in the fw kingston was able to take care of any stuttering that might pop up on this controller.

My only suggestion is this, if you really want a SSD bad and need to be cheap, why not. if you plan to keep the drive for a while 1-2yrs spend a bit more on a different controller.

Back