• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSD RAID 0 Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

prime81

Ok I took the leap and bought two OCZ Agility 60gb drives and plan to put them in RAID 0. My question is what operating system should I go with. I have XP x64 Pro, Vista ult 64bit, and win 7 ult 64bit. The other question is does it really matter which one I go with if its in RAID 0, I know for Trim support i have to run win7 but in RAID 0 i dont think trim is even available but I could be wrong, I'm a noob with SSD knowledge.

With my drives in raid-0 running win7 x64, Trim (GC) is automatically enabled.

Your best bet would be to use Win7 as it's not as bloated as Vista and a heckuva lot better than XP. Besides you don't need to install the Raid drivers (floppy method).

Ok I took the leap and bought two OCZ Agility 60gb drives and plan to put them in RAID 0. My question is what operating system should I go with. I have XP x64 Pro, Vista ult 64bit, and win 7 ult 64bit. The other question is does it really matter which one I go with if its in RAID 0, I know for Trim support i have to run win7 but in RAID 0 i dont think trim is even available but I could be wrong, I'm a noob with SSD knowledge.

your running raid-0 so it wont matter which os you go with. i would say win7 since out of the box the raid array can have the OS installed to. with XP you would need to install the raid drivers via floppy or have them slip-streamed in. since you are going to run raid, you MUST align the drive's partition to ensure you get the most out of the drives.

Trim= Single Drives
GC = Raided drives and OS's that dont support Trim

First thing to do is plug the drives into a working pc. Go threw the drive properties and get the FW version. Seems the OCZ site has changed a bit to much this time around for me. i cant find the thread i used to setup my raid-o array. Looks like im SOL if have to do it over agian...

Since the drives are new, they should have FW1.5 so they will have trim and GC built in. as long as your computer idles for a bit here and there GC will do its job on the Raid array.

Ok so basically it doesn't matter what OS I use but win7 is gonna have the latest greatest features blah blah blah. I will check the firmware when I get them, I'm assuming there is a utility I can use to check this.

right it wont matter much but with XP you have jump threw a few more hoops to make the ssd shine. Win7 is the only one that will correctly adjust the partition alignment for a single drive and has trim support. any os older then win7 from MS will require the use of GC built into FW1.5.

Back