• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XFX 5850 Stuttering

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xlivewire7x

Okay, just got my brand new XFX 5850 in the mail today and slapped it in my system. First thing I noticed was that, even while in 2d graphics, the desktop stutters. It usually happens to my second monitor (not main) when I switch between programs. However, i tried using AMD Gpu Clock Tool to set the GPU to 776MHz and that fixes the problem until I restart the computer and the card starts running at the reduced settings again (I think its called Power Play or something like that). I also tried flashing the BIOS of the card to the ASUS BIOS but I still got a lot of stuttering.
I've heard of reformatting the hard drive working for people but I really don't want to have to resort to that. If anybody has a fix, please tell! I really don't want to have to keep resetting the Clock Tool. Also, I'm planning on overclocking it anyway so if somebody has a solution for the ASUS BIOS stuttering then I'd love that too.

Edit: Okay, tried disabling ATI Overdrive completely (with the XFX Bios) and there's no stuttering. Will have to test this out in ASUS bios tomorrow.

Last edited:
Back