• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Drop in points after putting second card in

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dark bishop

Well the oven trick worked and I now have a fully functioning 8800gt again. Gave it some burn in and it didn't explode so I put it to folding again.

Problem is that my gtx285 used to get around 8-9k ppd but now its stuck down around 4k even with its over clock. (for safety I'm leaving the 8800gt @ stock)

I've deleted the que.dat, work folder, and fah cores from each folder to try and get it cleared up but no luck.

each card is attached to its own monitor btw.

Only time I noticed a PPD drop when adding a 2nd card is when I forget to put "-gpu 1" in the shortcut. That happened to me quite a few times.

You can easily check if your newly added card is working by checking GPU-z and check the GPU loads between your GTX285 and 8800GT.

The 8800gt doesnt show any load :/ ? of course it didnt show before hand either.

Both cards are working on P6602's. 8800 (R3, C357, G0) 285 (R1, C210, G1)

I know they are both working cause the temps go up or down depending on whether folding is on or not.

If it's not registering any GPU load on your 8800GT and your GTX 285 PPD is cut in half, I am almost sure that the GTX 285 is working on the same client.

T o test, close one client and see if your PPD goes up on your GTX.

Do you have the -gpu x flags assigned for each client in the target line in the shortcut, like so? Assuming you are using the console client.

I have not used the systray client in ages and forgot how to do that.

Disable cpu affinity lock?

Are you folding on the CPU too?
If so, I have the same problem.
Q6600 with 2ea 8800GT's on Asus P5N-D, 2 gb ram, Win XP
When I run all 3 clients - fewer PPD.
Best PPD is 2 GPU's (NO SMP)

I also have the restart overclock loss on one gpu...seems all my multi gpu rigs do that...

Last edited:
I dont know whats going on?

Right after re-installing drivers and the clients the 8800 was around 4k where it should be while the 285 was around 8-10k, and the cpu was around 3k. Now the cpu is up to 5k, the 8800 is down to 2k and the 285 is down to 4k.

Attachments

• wtf.png
    wtf.png
    56.4 KB · Views: 91
Set the cpu priority to idle on the smp; low for gpu clients. If you already done that, add NV_FAH_CPU_AFFINITY to environment variable and set it to 15.

I figured it out! :D

Its nvidia's stupid drivers thats the problem, gpuz and evga precision never showed that it had downclocked into 2d mode! I applied a patch someone on the evga boards came up with to lock it into 3d high power via a registry edit.

would please share this patch?
this is a common problem with running multi-cards now.

at least I encountered few times and had to reboot/reinstall driver, which is painful.

Back