• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WEI Winsat Disk

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Psykoikonov

When I first got Windows 7 I saw the WEI and thought well there is not much to it as each item just has a number between 1 and 7.9. Turns out there is more to it than that and the HDD assessment is worth noting.

At a command prompt type winsat disk, wait a few moments and you'll get a screen like below (this is a WD7500AAKS, first partition of 75GB).

I used the command -drive f to test the partition f:\. Alternately you can use -n # for a computer having more than one drive, where # is the drive number gotten from either device manager, listdisk using disk part, or diskmgmt.msc.
It shows the results of each test followed by the corresponding WEI score. For instance for the below the partitions Disk random 16k read was 2.19MB/s which gives a WEI score of 4.3.

Last edited:
This is the same disk (WD7500AAKS) using the entire drive (instead of the first 75GB) for the benchmark (AMD SB750).

There is also Winsat DWM (Desktop Window Manager) tests graphics memory throughput, Winsat D3D test direct 3d, Winsat MEM tests large memory to memory buffer copies, Winsat CPU test CPU encryption/decryption compression/decompression, Winsat media tests video playback and encoding using DirectShow, and Winsat MFMedia tests video decoding (playback) using the Media Foundation framework. Microsoft TechNet reference.

Last edited:
Cool. I always knew the WEI ran a big bunch of interesting benchmarks on the disk but I never knew how to get to the hard numbers. Thanks for this.

For reference here is a Velociraptor 150GB (AMD SB750), the top bench is the first 25GB, and the bottom bench is the entire drive. Please post your benches if you have the time.

Last edited:
I ran it on my Samsung Spinpoint F1 on which I have windows. The first one is the first 80GB of the drive with windows, and the second one is the full drive.
Samsung80GB.png
SamsungFull.png

Very nice find... insteresting!!! I will have to run this as I am wondering why in God's name I am getting a 5.9 with an SSD. Can you find the rest of the WEI's benches too? Im dying to see where this inconsistent program tends to go wrong!!!

Very nice find... insteresting!!! I will have to run this as I am wondering why in God's name I am getting a 5.9 with an SSD. Can you find the rest of the WEI's benches too? Im dying to see where this inconsistent program tends to go wrong!!!
Is very odd that an SSD would score so low, a Velociraptor scores low to mid 7's. Not sure how WEI arrives at this final number though looking at the results, is it a weighted mean, or... :shrug:

NOt sure... I am pretty passionate about the WEI being an utterly useless benchmark b/c its results are inconsistent and seem to be anomolous at times. So I am curius to know how each test runs and scores to find where it goes wrong or if I am just plain wrong.

My ATTO benches are actually ALL over drive specs (220/135 specs vs. 240+/150+ in those tests).

Not sure.

NOt sure... I am pretty passionate about the WEI being an utterly useless benchmark b/c its results are inconsistent and seem to be anomolous at times. So I am curius to know how each test runs and scores to find where it goes wrong or if I am just plain wrong.

My ATTO benches are actually ALL over drive specs (220/135 specs vs. 240+/150+ in those tests).

Not sure.

I agree, the single number for each hardware component doesn't mean very much, at least this way the test(s) have some meaning with real values given. Again how it arrives at the final value from the list of values given is a mystery to me.

You can run the other WEI benches via winsat as well, like winsat d3d or winsat cpu. Winsat -? gives all the details.

Excellent! Thanks Mr. Alpha

This is the same disk (WD7500AAKS) using the entire drive (instead of the first 75GB) for the benchmark (AMD SB750).

There is also Winsat DWM (Desktop Window Manager) tests graphics memory throughput, Winsat D3D test direct 3d, Winsat MEM tests large memory to memory buffer copies, Winsat CPU test CPU encryption/decryption compression/decompression, Winsat media tests video playback and encoding using DirectShow, and Winsat MFMedia tests video decoding (playback) using the Media Foundation framework. Microsoft TechNet reference.

Sorry bout that Earthdog didn't understand that was what your looking for. That was in my second post along with link to Microsoft reference.

You can also get xml output by adding the -xml [filename] switch to the command line

Back