• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my overclock safe??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gman1

System: processor: i7 920 2.66 @ 3.0
Graphics : 5850 ATI
Mobo : p6t Asus (drivers not updated)
memory : 3x2gb corsair 1333
HDD: 2x 500gb 5200 samsung
Windows 7 home premium

ok i'm overclocking my i7 to 3ghz because i have the stock cooler, yes i know that i should get a better one like coolermaster v8 or TRUE, but for now the stock works just fine.
The only change i made was changing the bclk and the voltge, i changed the bclk to 152 and the vlts to 1.0000 , will my overclock work fine?
semttuloo.png

Temps:

semttuloe.png

i heard about a blue screen error if you dont control your volgt .Should i add some voltg? what can i do better?

With only a 376MHz overclock you shouldn't have to increase the Vcore / Core Voltage past the default. And the only way to know whether your system is stable or not at that voltage is by loading the processor to 100%, using a program like Prime or LinX / Linpack. And the idle temp's shown in the Real Temp pic. you posted don't really mean much, core temp's while the CPU is under 100% load are what's important.

Looks like he actually lowered the voltage. Sure give that thing a whirl. I like having a program like memtest gobble up half the ram then loading LinX and running that on 1/2 the remaining ram. Usually crashes within minutes if it's going to.

This is perfectly safe. I don't think there is a need to go below default voltage though. That might just make it unnecessarily unstable. Can I ask why you whitened that bit on RealTemp? You don't want us to see your blck and multiplier? Which you highlighted in CPU-Z anyway?

Assuming you dont have any bios, windows, or software level voltage and power savings features doing this type of thing "on the fly" for you, and you manually undervolted to 1.00, than you can continue reading: :) Honestly, I am pretty sure you will be able to boot windows at .99 or 1.00 volt but as soon as you try and do anything core intensive it will probably fail within minutes. Back from my original testing, the lowest I was able to run her (i7-920) stable was around 1.04 to 1.08 @ 3.0GHz and this was with HT disabled, I was actually able to boot windows at .98 vcore but as soon as I go to prime her, it would fail instantly. This is called undervolting, and I actually set up my parents, families, and sisters PC's like this all the time. Usually people that know nothing about computers and technology abuse there PC, enclosing it in heat restrictive furniture structures, and just general mis-use. etc.

For any office/web/light use and family productivity type rig this is a great way to increase the longevity of the CPU, reduce temperatures dramatically while maintaining the stock CPU clockspeed.

In your case after looking at your IDLE cpu results, I am very confused to be honest. To give you an example, my old QX9650 that I have undervolted in my office runs perfectly stable at 3.0 GHz and 1.02 vcore, that is a full 30% under manufacturers set 1.3625 rated voltage. In the blink of an eye by lowering vcore to 1.02 from 1.3625, my temperatures would drop on average between 10 and 14 degrees for both idle and load scenarios. They went from 35*C idle and 54*C load @ stock vcore to 21*C idle and 40*C load. So, the fact that your temperatures are already 45*C idle at 1.00 vcore has me worried. Right now instead of worrying about voltage, I would try and re-seat the HSF and also re-apply some new thermal paste. What paste and what HSF setup are you using?

-D

dd.jpg

Last edited:
This is perfectly safe. I don't think there is a need to go below default voltage though. That might just make it unnecessarily unstable. Can I ask why you whitened that bit on RealTemp? You don't want us to see your blck and multiplier? Which you highlighted in CPU-Z anyway?
no no , i whitened it cuz i had something else there ..
here it is again at 100%
semttulowt.png

whats the deflt voltage for this processor? i'm a newbie on oc, i did some research and what i found was this 1.1v and mine is 1.00something my bclk is 152 and the multiplier is 20(wich i dont know how to change btw) so yes the only thing i did was to set the vltg to 1.0 (it was auto) and increase de bclk. he is running at 3.0 wich is the clock i wanted, the temps look ok at 100%. So should i change the vltge to 1.1-1.2?
AND what else can i do with a stock cooler?
And i live in brazil so it is hard to find good air coolers here , and even harder to find good water coolers, i'm looking for a v8 or v10 but like i said it is hard like hell to find thoose here.And i dont know if this is true but someone told me the i7 temps are a bit higher then the other intel processors

Last edited:
no no , i whitened it cuz i had something else there ..
here it is again at 100%
semttulowt.png

whats the deflt voltage for this processor? i'm a newbie on oc, i did some research and what i found was this 1.1v and mine is 1.00something my bclk is 152 and the multiplier is 20(wich i dont know how to change btw) so yes the only thing i did was to set the vltg to 1.0 (it was auto) and increase de bclk. he is running at 3.0 wich is the clock i wanted, the temps look ok at 100%. So should i change the vltge to 1.1-1.2?
AND what else can i do with a stock cooler?

It could be that you just have an extremely low VID and factory voltage right from Intel. I would recommend at least putting 1.10v into it. But, I still dont like your temperatures at all. 62*C load only after a few minutes of priming with 1.00 vcore just does not seem right to me. Again, what heatsink fan are you running and what thermal paste? EDIT* Just saw you are running the stock cooler. Ahh. This explains a lot about the temps.

Dom

It could be that you just have an extremely low VID and factory voltage right from Intel. I would recommend at least putting 1.10v into it. But, I still dont like your temperatures at all. 62*C load only after a few minutes of priming with 1.00 vcore just does not seem right to me. Again, what heatsink fan are you running and what thermal paste? EDIT* Just saw you are running the stock cooler. Ahh. This explains a lot about the temps.

Dom

my case is really good but the cpu cooler is the stock one so it sucks, stll ppl say it is normal this temps with stock cooler but i want someone to tell me the truth is this safe? What temps should i start to worry?

When the Distance to TJ Max hits 20 or less, start worrying.
When it hits 5 or less, worry hard.

System: processor: i7 920 2.66 @ 3.0
Graphics : 5850 ATI
Mobo : p6t Asus (drivers not updated)
memory : 3x2gb corsair 1333
HDD: 2x 500gb 5200 samsung
Windows 7 home premium

ok i'm overclocking my i7 to 3ghz because i have the stock cooler, yes i know that i should get a better one like coolermaster v8 or TRUE, but for now the stock works just fine.
The only change i made was changing the bclk and the voltge, i changed the bclk to 152 and the vlts to 1.0000 , will my overclock work fine?
semttuloo.png

Temps:

semttuloe.png

i heard about a blue screen error if you dont control your volgt .Should i add some voltg? what can i do better?

I can run my Core i5 750 @ 3.0GHz using only a Vcore of 1.043V

Core i7 920 requires less core voltage than Core i5 750

------------------------

Core i5 750 @ 3.2GHz (1.106Vcore)

Prime95
max core temp = 55C
room temp = 32C
Delta T = 23C

I don't have an air-conditioning unit in my room. Just look at the Delta T...

The truth? I don't like to see 70c, but realtemp doesn't really start whining till tjmax...90c I believe. Entirely too hot for my liking. Why *DID* you alter that pic btw? Odd thing to do.

my case is really good but the cpu cooler is the stock one so it sucks, stll ppl say it is normal this temps with stock cooler but i want someone to tell me the truth is this safe? What temps should i start to worry?

In the beginning I didnt see that you were running the stock Intel HSF so I jumped too quickly to respond. lol If you keep the PC exactly the way it is you are 100% fine, hot for my tastes but fine. However, if you installed a 50.00 air cooler like a TRUE 120 your temps would drop quite a bit for some peace of mind, and if I was in your shoes that would be my next mod. At least for now re-seat your stock cooler with some Arctic Silver 5. But adding an aftermarket HSF will give you better temps and allow you some room to clock it. Also, if its true you have a nice low VID, this means chances are you got a good chip.

-D

The truth? I don't like to see 70c, but realtemp doesn't really start whining till tjmax...90c I believe. Entirely too hot for my liking. Why *DID* you alter that pic btw? Odd thing to do.

Nobody really knows the TJ Max of each Intel processor

I've checked the data sheet of Intel Core i5 700 and Core i7 800.... there is no data about it

But Intel states that max operating temperature of Core i5 700 and Core i7 800 is 72C

The problem is that "72C" is the temperature taken at the middle of heat spreader of the processor

cuz i had some personal stuff there nothing to do with oc or the computer just an image(just a small signature that i was working on and it got there by accident) open..

i changed the voltage as you said to 1.1
i tested with the linpack and it was stable with everything, but when i left the processor for some time at 100% he restarted the computer...
the temps were good, i have no prints to show you guys but what happend ? why did he rebooted? did that happend cuz i changed the voltage to 1.1v?

cuz i had some personal stuff there nothing to do with oc or the computer just an image(just a small signature that i was working on and it got there by accident) open..

i changed the voltage as you said to 1.1
i tested with the linpack and it was stable with everything, but when i left the processor for some time at 100% he restarted the computer...
the temps were good, i have no prints to show you guys but what happend ? why did he rebooted? did that happend cuz i changed the voltage to 1.1v?

So you were running 3.00 GHz at 1.1vcore and it failed during prime and rebooted the rig? Is that correct? Did you happen to measure temperatures during and/or up until the failure?

Nobody really knows the TJ Max of each Intel processor

I've checked the data sheet of Intel Core i5 700 and Core i7 800.... there is no data about it

But Intel states that max operating temperature of Core i5 700 and Core i7 800 is 72C

The problem is that "72C" is the temperature taken at the middle of heat spreader of the processor

Just going by what realtemp indicates(ie...distance to tjmax). The processors you mentioned are 32nm? At any rate I think 70c is a reasonable max temp.

So you were running 3.00 GHz at 1.1vcore and it failed during prime and rebooted the rig? Is that correct? Did you happen to measure temperatures during and/or up until the failure?
max temp was 65C
and idk i left the prime and then i went to pee, when i got back the system was rebooting.

max temp was 65C
and idk i left the prime and then i went to pee, when i got back the system was rebooting.

testing it again , runnign at 100% for about 15min now and it is stable temps are
MAX - 68C
Min - 63C

Case temp normal.

running at 3037.98mhz , 1,096V..
i guess this is it. He did not reboot, he seems fine temps under 69C
100%. I'll update you guys in a few minutes.

------------------------------------------
Max temp 70C
min Temp 63C
Avg temp 66C

Test running at 100% for about 25 - 26minutes... Seems ok

Last edited:
testing it again , runnign at 100% for about 15min now and it is stable temps are
MAX - 68C
Min - 63C

Case temp normal.

running at 3037.98mhz , 1,096V..
i guess this is it. He did not reboot, he seems fine temps under 69C
100%. I'll update you guys in a few minutes.

------------------------------------------
Max temp 70C
min Temp 63C
Avg temp 66C

Test running at 100% for about 25 - 26minutes... Seems ok
Ok , topic done, stable for 2 days!

Back