• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How difficult is it to switch to water-cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sidestep

Hello All,

First off, thanks for all the great info I've received from the many discussions. :rock:

As I've mentioned in other threads, I'd like to setup an eyefinity rig with 3 24" monitors at 1900x1200 each.

I plan on using water cooling for the CPU and eventually for the GPU as well. I've seen the following offering for a 5870 with a water block pre-installed:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131322

which is a tad bit expensive.. but removes the hassle of installing a waterblock.

But I'm wondering if its all a bit of overkill for my purposes.. and whether or not I could go with air cooling and later, if desired, transform an air cooled 5870 to water cooling.

Is it hard to remove air-cooling devices and install water blocks? Is there any particular model of 5870 that is better suited for this transformation?

Thanks,

Michael

removing the stock HSF and installing a waterblock is quite simple.. remove screws from HSF, clean off the core of any TIM, put on new tim, install water block and screw down..

i dont think any card is "better" than the other for these purposes either.. but let some others weigh in too!

Back