• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I do it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Special7

My friend is offering me his 4870 512mb for $70 + shipping, I could probably sell my 8800GT on craigslist for $80 or so, is it worth it? I mean I know the 4870 is better but worth going through the hassle?:confused:

I would have said yes, if you can upgrade and still make a couple $$$ it's worth the effort, but since that monitor is only 1280x1024...I dunno. that 3800+ is going to be holding it back, so I guess it depends on how the 8800 is holding up now. Still might be worth it though if you can get the extra money. I know it's not the definite yes or no answer you were looking for.

Yeah my cpu is holding even my 8800GT back but I do plan on upgrading within the next few months so a faster gpu would save me money in the long run as I won't have to upgrade my gpu right away. Plus I should break even on this so I would have spent no money.

Unless you really like nvidia or have a need for CUDA it sounds like a great deal. $70 + shipping for a 4870 sounds like a great deal to me, and the 8800GT is only going to continue dropping in value so best to sell it while it's still worth a somewhat decent amount of money.

Need to find out if my acellero will fit the 4870, any idea if it will fit?

Need to find out if my acellero will fit the 4870, any idea if it will fit?

Depends on what revision it is, Rev 2 fits fine. The only difference is their is a plate for pwm where Rev 1 doesn't have the correct one. You can just get your own heatsinks to cover them if need be.

Back