Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: 5870 questions

  1. #1
    Registered
    Join Date
    May 2008

    5870 questions

    My Catalyst Control Center for my ATI 5870 displays my 5870's current values as

    157mhz for gpu and 300mhz for memory.

    This is really low... I can play a lot of games fine and on max, why is CCC displaying these as the current clocks?

  2. #2
    5up3r m0d3r4t0r
    Overclockers.com Editor

    MattNo5ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    AL
    Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile
    Those are idle clocks to reduce power consumption and heat. Clocks will increase when the card is stressed.
    i7 4770K | ASRock Z87M OC Formula | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600 8-8-8-24 1.35v | EVGA GTX780 SC ACX | ASUS Xonar Essence STX | 256GB OCZ Vertex 4 | SeaSonic X750
    Pentium G3258 | ASUS Z87I-Deluxe | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600 8-8-8-24 1.35v | 5x2TB RAIDZ | Corsair CX430

    My Overclockers.com Articles | HWBot Profile | Heatware (101-0-0)

    Projects: Copper-Framed, MDF Station | PVC-Framed, MDF Station | Custom Cascade Cart/Case | Untitled TJ07 Build


  3. #3
    mxthunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Northeast Ohio
    Right on.
    i7 3770K @ 4.8GHz
    Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP7
    2x8GB Ripjaws @ 2200 9-11-11 1T
    XSPC res + D5, RS360 + EK 120mm rad
    GeForce GTX780Ti w/custom bios @1300mhz
    Corsair TX950
    1TB 840EVO / 1TB HDD
    LG 27" 1080p
    Corsair Obsidian 700D

    My GPU collection

  4. #4
    Registered
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MattNo5ss View Post
    Those are idle clocks to reduce power consumption and heat. Clocks will increase when the card is stressed.
    Ah I see.

    What does manually setting the sliders do? Limit how high the clocks can go under stress?

    Also, I tabbed out while running a game (Arma 2) and checked. The current values did not change. Are they supposed to change?
    Last edited by Albion72; 03-21-10 at 12:26 AM.

  5. #5
    jaymz9350's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Marytucky, Ohio
    Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by Albion72 View Post
    Ah I see.

    What does manually setting the sliders do? Limit how high the clocks can go under stress?

    Also, I tabbed out while running a game (Arma 2) and checked. The current values did not change. Are they supposed to change?
    That's because when you alt tab out you left 3D mode and went back into 2D. If you use MSI afterburner you can have it show in a graph what your clocks are so you can see them change in 3D mode.
    i7 3770k @ 4.5 1.25v
    4x2 GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24
    ASRock Fatality Pro Z77
    XFX 7970 / Samsung SyncMaster 216BW
    Corsair TX750
    128 GB Samsung 830 / 1.5 TB WD Green / 500 GB WD Blue
    Folding User Stats

  6. #6
    Registered
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jaymz9350 View Post
    That's because when you alt tab out you left 3D mode and went back into 2D. If you use MSI afterburner you can have it show in a graph what your clocks are so you can see them change in 3D mode.
    Ahh ok.

    I'm using a Cooler Master HAF 932 for a case, using all the fans available.

    What are the highest stable clocks I can set my 5870 to before things begin to get hairy?

  7. #7
    Member Parad0x420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Dark Side of the Moon
    Quote Originally Posted by Albion72 View Post
    Ahh ok.

    I'm using a Cooler Master HAF 932 for a case, using all the fans available.

    What are the highest stable clocks I can set my 5870 to before things begin to get hairy?
    That is just something you will have to find out on your own. Each card behaves differently, and while most will clock similarly.. most people will have different results. Try bumping your clocks about 5-10mhz at a time and run some games or benchmarks to test for stability. 3DMark06 or Vantage make for decent stress tests, but nothing will run a graphics card harder than Furmark.
    Phenom II X6 1075T Thuban @ 4065Mhz 15x271
    TRUE Black Rev. C - Shin-Etsu X23-7783D - Cougar CF-D1 Reds in push/pull
    ASUS Crosshair IV Formula AM3 890FX NB@2719Mhz HT@2175Mhz
    G.Skill Flare 4GB DDR3 @ 1807Mhz 7-8-7-24-1T 1.65v
    ASUS 7970 3GB @ 1000/1450
    OCZ Vertex 4 256GB SATAIII - Win 7 Ultimate x64
    2x WD 640GB Caviar Blue / 2x WD 750GB Caviar Black
    PC P&C 750W Silencer Black
    LG 27EA83-D 27" LED - IPS Monitor @ 2560x1440 10bit color
    Corsair Obsidian 700D
    DÍck Legend Toxic - Logitech G9x
    Sennheiser HD280 Headphones

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •