• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel's new driver for RAID TRIM support

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

prime81

I was reading the OCZ forums and came across this new driver that supposedly supports TRIM in a raid setup if your using an Intel controller.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/detail_desc.aspx?agr=N&ProductID=&DwnldID=15251

I'm not sure as to whether you have to do anything else for the TRIM to work in windows 7 on a raid setup or if the new driver simply passes the TRIM command. I'll run a benchie and see how she rolls.

Hmmm, should be interesting to find out. If it does, then i'll probably pick up another vertex soon and RAID them... mostly for the extra space lol

According to the latest Anandtech SSD article Intel should be coming out with TRIM support in their drivers for non-RAID setups any day now, but TRIM for RAID was still only in the planning stages.

ripped from hardware canucks:

To the joy of those with Intel Chipsets and SSDs, the 9.6.0.1014 version of the Intel’s Rapid Storage Technology driver now enables TRIM for every SSD in the RAID array, across all volume types except RAID 5.

This is not a firmware update, simply a motherboard chipset driver update, only for those with Intel Raid Chipsets, and obviously supported only through Windows 7.

The Intel Driver for 32-bit and 64-bit editions of W7 can be downloaded from the Intel download centre: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/detail_desc.aspx?agr=N&ProductID=&DwnldID=15251

My results seem to be pretty consistent from before and after. I have not seen any performance decrease nor increase... which I guess is a good thing.

According to the PC Perspective podcast the drivers do not support TRIM trough RAID even though it says they do.

From the horses mouth....

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-031491.htm

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST)
Is there TRIM support for RAID configurations?

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology 9.6 supports TRIM in AHCI mode and in RAID mode for drives that are not part of a RAID volume.

A defect was filed to correct the information in the Help file that states that TRIM is supported on RAID volumes.

This applies to:
Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST)

stupid intel. stupid, stupid intel!!

I nearly purchased two SSDs just based off the fact that they supposedly supported TRIM in RAID. Thankfully I couldn't quite swallow $800 for a pair of Vertex LE's, so I just bought one.

stupid intel. stupid, stupid intel!!

I nearly purchased two SSDs just based off the fact that they supposedly supported TRIM in RAID. Thankfully I couldn't quite swallow $800 for a pair of Vertex LE's, so I just bought one.

Tell me about it...i got excited and purchased two ssd.

Oh well, i'm crossing my fingers they will come out soon.

One thing I did not know about the OCZ drives is the 1.5 firmware has built in GC or TRIM on the controller itself, it works regardless if the drive is in RAID or just normal IDE mode. You simply have to leave the machine alone and let it idle.

Back