• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I just purchased an OCZ Agility SSD - I use Win7, can I use Norton Ghost?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MitchV

I've read some various tweaks on the OCZ forum. I'm not a gamer these days and I'm not interested in performing benchmark tests for the sake of benchmarks. I bought the drive because I like the idea of my OS being on a dedicated drive (currently it is on an OS partition), and of course I'm after the performance increase. While I don't want to make a mess, I don't need to apply every setting/tweak under the sun.

My MB is an ABIT IP35 Pro. Currently I've got two platter drives that I use for storage (I stream media from my PC).

What I'd *like* to do is to use Norton Ghost to transfer my current OS image to the new drive. I'm a developer and I do some work on this PC... I'd prefer to *not* have to reinstall everything if possible.

Any warnings/dangers I should know about?

Thanks!

No warnings that I know of, I would say do a clean install the first go around and make a new image once you have the new drive up and running. This will make things smoother and eliminate possible conflicts from the previous hardware. Let win7 create the partition as it aligns it properly for maximized performance. Other than that the norton ghost should work as normal.

Q

No warnings that I know of, I would say do a clean install the first go around and make a new image once you have the new drive up and running. This will make things smoother and eliminate possible conflicts from the previous hardware. Let win7 create the partition as it aligns it properly for maximized performance. Other than that the norton ghost should work as normal.

Sweet... That's an excellent idea (install the OS first then restore over top of it).

I'll follow that process and update this thread with success/failure.

Thanks!

Don't windows 7 allow you to create a back of the c Drive. I think it is prety much the same thing compare to Ghost.

I connected the OCZ Agility to my system with mechanical HD, partitioned and formatted the Agility from Windows 7, then used my mechanical HD Ghost images to image my operating systems onto the Agility and started using it.

Do not defragment Solid State Dravies!

After cloning the operating system partitions > BIOS > Hard Disk Drives > Set the Solid State Drive as the 1st Drive. It will automatically replace the previous hard drive on the boot priority list.

So far, so good. This SSD drive is as good as advertised... I checked my Windows user experience... previously my mechanical HD scored a 5.9. This new Agility drive scored a 7.3!

Perhaps the two things I've noticed the most is the speed at which my PC now opens PDF files that are stored on the SSD and how much quicker web pages load. I didn't realize how dependent Firefox is on the HD.

I'm happy!

Which model exactly did you get if u dont mind sharing?

This SSD is cheaper then X-25M Intel i am thinking to get, so, i might be considering this.

Thanks

Back