• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to build a computer.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks a bunch. I have had only experience with switching GPU and memory in a computer earlier, but now i decided to build whole computer myself. Without this guide it would have been pretty much impossible. This was really helpful +1

Love it. thanks hope this help a lot in my new build and wow it's even better than some video guides. hope i don't mess up my build and would have to buy new parts again.
P.S: I'm only 13...

First Post

Thanks for putting this up. My father is going to guide me through the build but he tends to rush, being a retired IBMer and all. I'm trying to learn as much by reading and the pictures here is what did it for me. Thanks...this is my first post.

deathrunner1

The media card reader

This is really not a necessity, however connecting your camera via USB could get dangerous if you continue. Taking out the SD card seems safer for most users.

What does that mean?

As far as the no sound card issue. All things being equal a sound card on some systems can make a difference:

sound.jpg

Now mind you the Intel max was a bit out of wack (outlier) but there is an impact. Both of these were integrated sound. the Intel used VIA (vinyl) and the AMD used the realtek crap but not only can your frame rate be affected but there is a quality issue as well.

EDIT: this thread is also a great idea Joe.

Last edited:
Lots of work went into this it looks real good :)

FYI: The 4 pin IDE connectors on the power supply are not called Molex, in fact most likely they are made by Foxconn now not Molex. The are actually just called 4 pin peripheral connectors. Might want to make a note of that :) (since many people do call them Molex connectors)

Lots of work went into this it looks real good :)

FYI: The 4 pin IDE connectors on the power supply are not called Molex, in fact most likely they are made by Foxconn now not Molex. The are actually just called 4 pin peripheral connectors. Might want to make a note of that :) (since many people do call them Molex connectors)

Thanks for the kudos...

However molex is still molex :thup:

Heh never heard it called that but I guess its technically right. But I always ask for a kleenex when I need it, not tissue. :D

Some things have a way of sticking, and I think molex is the more universally accepted term in common use. :)

Very good thread. you might consider adding a note warning people to be wary of power supplies included with cases.

To begin without any misunderstandings, I would not alter the steps in this guide. I am merely adding thoughts for those who may have a specific circumstance.

Not sure if this over complicates things or not but sometimes I will throw some of the parts on the mobo before throwing it in the case (typically RAM and cpu/heatsink). This prevents me from having to work in a confined space to do delicate tasks like angling the heat sink bracket in place.

The new mobo would be sitting on a bunch of bubble wrap and foam, and stuff would snap in fine and the load forces of pushing the parts in would be distributed fine. I would never do it with the mobo sitting on a hard surface. This will be a home system, so if there isn't sufficient backing, I will just do it in the case.

Sort of an afterthought that can save you a lot frustration in rare situations. Again, it's rare this will help in most situations, but if you are in the situation it will help it will help a lot. (read: OptiPlex, I hate you so much)

I love this post!!! I have searched for so long to find information regarding computers. I like to learn to do things for myself and this is the place to learn!!

I can't believe it took until March 2010 for someone to come up with something like this. Nicely done Joe!

(On a side note, the Molex connectors are in fact called Molexes because Molex manufactures them. I know Foxconn does as well, but I believe Molex actually designed the connector and Foxconn followed suit. I found the part numbers a while back while trying to find cheap extras).

You should be an authority on that topic actually - who knows him better than himself? I mean you are accessing the forum from the same computer and all. That makes you one of 2 things:

A. A personal friend of the person you are complimenting while acting like you don't know him that much
B. A marionette with a very familiar puppet master

I've had the good fortune to converse with Joeteck at length. He's a good guy, though disproportionately time consuming in regards to managing his social interactions... This being a social community in a way, someone with consistent problematic social behavior is a consistent problem for staff. And you have an eerie familiarity about you. Coincidentally, Joe also had a liking for registering multiple accounts.

The biggest problem with Joeteck was not that he kept repeating similar mistakes that kept leading to problems with other members and getting numerous second chances which wears on administration and moderation staff... The biggest problem was that no matter how much time was spent trying to advise or lead Joeteck, he always landed back in the middle of problems, getting reported posts or in some disagreement that required moderating action. Some people saw this happen, some people didn't.

By the way, you should really keep your head down if you are trying to get away with something... Logging in from the same PC as Joeteck has logged in from (technology is great), complimenting his knowledge, and you have identical CPU, heatsink, motherboard, and power supply. Sorry if I missed a component, I was just glancing. Anywho, when you are again failing to follow site rules by violating a ban that was imposed upon you - if you want the staff to look the other way, you are going about it all wrong. :rolleyes:

By the way, you should really keep your head down if you are trying to get away with something... Logging in from the same PC as Joeteck has logged in from (technology is great), complimenting his knowledge, and you have identical CPU, heatsink, motherboard, and power supply. Sorry if I missed a component, I was just glancing. Anywho, when you are again failing to follow site rules by violating a ban that was imposed upon you - if you want the staff to look the other way, you are going about it all wrong. :rolleyes:

this is actually why i like this forum. Your a hardass for a reason the shenanigans of some dudes is beyond me. I am part of a couple other forums and this stuff runs rampant. I salute you imog.........moving on.

How do you take such good pics of pc components? i have a nice Nikon but cant use it for pics they always look bad. Anybody feel free to chime in?

Back