• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[O/C]Gigabyte X58A-UD7 Review And Overclocking Results

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mdcomp

Classic Administrator
First I owe Gigabyte an explanation for taking so long to get this review written up. The truth is, Gigabyte products always take me the longest time to review because they're so much fun to use. I often forget I'm supposed to be writing a review, and get completely sidetracked. I'd like to thank Angela at Gigabyte for being so patient with me taking my time to publish results any time she sends a product to me for testing.

GOOC 2009 (Gigabyte Open Overclocking Championship) was the first time I overclocked on the X58 platform, and I haven't done so since then. P55 got in the way, and althou... Return to Article

Nice write up.... just received mine and can't wait to start having fun!

Look forward to seeing what you will do with a nice 5870...

I never like jumping on the first group of Mb's on a socket , I like to wait a bit to get a more mature board. So this Mb has me interested, did you find a difference in the max bclock on this mb using the air cooling solution for the board vs the wb that comes with it ?

I never like jumping on the first group of Mb's on a socket , I like to wait a bit to get a more mature board. So this Mb has me interested, did you find a difference in the max bclock on this mb using the air cooling solution for the board vs the wb that comes with it ?

I didn't use WC on the chipset, but the air cooling solution is effective for sure.

Do you have a high-pitched hiss from this board?

No, the only hiss was coming from the HD 4890 :p

I didn't use WC on the chipset, but the air cooling solution is effective for sure.

No, the only hiss was coming from the HD 4890 :p

My current board, Gigabyte X58A-UD3R has a high-pitched whine coming from somewhere on the board. It's really awful.

Exactly what voltages did you use to attain 4.5 GHz? I have the GA-X58A-UD5 and am having a terribel time getting it OC'ed... worse than the UD3R. If you can post those voltages that would help a lot. Thanks! :)

OK another question for you. Do you think there might be a big OC difference between the UD5 and the UD7? I'm not getting the clock speeds I thought I might with this board, but don't want to swap out if I'm temp limited anyways (I'm at 72c with the same processor @4.10 GHz).

Voltages are (need to reboot to check), but I'm wondering if the UD7 can run my same processor at a lower voltage?

No, as much as I love UD7, I don't think you're going to get much benefit if you've already got a UD5 unless you're really pushing the clocks on Gulftown and/or LN2 cooling.

My 920 was pushing the same temps at 4.5GHz on air as yours is at 4.1. The newer batch 920 D0s are good on air at mid-4GHz range with nice low volts, but after a certain point they scale terribly, but that's fine if you're on air or water cooling. My 920 was pushing 82 C at 4.6v. Of course this all depends on your cooling. I'd trade you if I still had the chip, because I bet with the high temps yours would be great under LN2 :beer:

Looks like another great board from Gigabyte.

One thing I do wish they would start giving a bit more attention to (or maybe going a new direction) is overall appearance of the board itself. The blue and white color combo is getting a little drab and could use some updating.

For my testing, The UD3R did fantastic, the UD5 did horrible, and the main competitor for the Gigabyte X58A-UD56, then Asus P6X58D Premium - blew the Gigabyte away. Maybe that extra $50-$70 cost to go from the UD5-to the UD7 is Worth it, but I can't in good conscious suggest ANYONE buy a a UD5 board. Performs terrible as an OC'er.

For my testing, The UD3R did fantastic, the UD5 did horrible, and the main competitor for the Gigabyte X58A-UD56, then Asus P6X58D Premium - blew the Gigabyte away. Maybe that extra $50-$70 cost to go from the UD5-to the UD7 is Worth it, but I can't in good conscious suggest ANYONE buy a a UD5 board. Performs terrible as an OC'er.

Sounds like you got a dud...I've already seen quite a few good results on the UD5.

Back