• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need YOUR help with T.E.C. prep.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It'd be perfect if it were 15v, 24 is too much for that pelt though.
You could put a currant limiting resistor in, though that'd burn up a bunch more power.

Funny this is the one that is the recommended one to have they list it in the spec's . LOL .

Any way I found some thing that made me eye's pop out , Most I can not understand .

http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?27049-TEC-on-Core-i7-965-EX-with-Ethylene-Glycol

And this here .

http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?23265-Swiftech-MCW6500-T
What do you think ?

Last edited:
Here is the deal. The first link you have is done by a Pro, look at all the modding he has done. I think he's been around the block a billion more times than you. And when he's testing it he's using straight water out of the wall, not a radiator for the cooling. It's in Germany, so I bet his water temp is 15C or lower to start with, really assisting the TEC. Imagine what your water temp at 20C+ would do to the cooling loop?

The pros have given up on TECS. Guys with 15-30 mobos in the closet. They have even more chips given to them by the makers for NDA testing in a year than we will see in a lifetime. They are the guys you see on places like XS and somewhat here. Some even do world wide competitions all over the world.

If they could use TECS, they would. They don't.

Your best bet is look into phase cooling or chilled water cooling.

Here is the deal. The first link you have is done by a Pro, look at all the modding he has done. I think he's been around the block a billion more times than you. And when he's testing it he's using straight water out of the wall, not a radiator for the cooling. It's in Germany, so I bet his water temp is 15C or lower to start with, really assisting the TEC. Imagine what your water temp at 20C+ would do to the cooling loop?

The pros have given up on TECS. Guys with 15-30 mobos in the closet. They have even more chips given to them by the makers for NDA testing in a year than we will see in a lifetime. They are the guys you see on places like XS and somewhat here. Some even do world wide competitions all over the world.

If they could use TECS, they would. They don't.

Your best bet is look into phase cooling or chilled water cooling.

Well that Pro did not do it right !
Here is some proof right in front of you do you see the core temps ?? AM I BLIND ? OF JUST F@#$G NUTS ?
Do you SEE THE WATTAGE ? I mean what more proof is there ? I have temp probes all over the CPU and WB NOTHING was above 43*c !
So what are these so called pros telling you ? Well they are full of BS for ONE THE PROOF IS RIGHT THERE !
If I ran OCCT for an hour you would say run it for 2 and some one els would say no no 8 hours that is what you need , You know what there is what like a tinny little bottle of coolant running in this if it is going to heat up to its max it has by now . No The point is this thing works great . AS any ONE can see .

Attachments

• TestOCCTLinePack.jpg
    TestOCCTLinePack.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
59C. Wow. Bet you'll set some overclocking records at that. You still have a rad, pump etc. Temps are okay I'll grant you that. What was the fancy block cost? PSU load or a new power supply you had to buy?

As long as your happy with a TEC on a 775 chip.

4.0 on that chip is pretty good, what was the max you had on standard watercooling?

Good for you, but temps are just normal for really good cooling. My temps are lower on my stock i7 965 that totally beats your chip.

If you want to win, okay. You win.

Mudd will be mad. I guess I actually lose.

Last edited:
59C. Wow. Bet you'll set some overclocking records at that. You still have a rad, pump etc. Temps are okay I'll grant you that. What was the fancy block cost? PSU load or a new power supply you had to buy?

As long as your happy with a TEC on a 775 chip.

4.0 on that chip is pretty good, what was the max you had on standard watercooling?

Good for you, but temps are just normal for really good cooling. My temps are lower on my stock i7 965 that totally beats your chip.

If you want to win, okay. You win.

Mudd will be mad. I guess I actually lose.

I can not tell what my CPU temps REALLY ARE .

After 2 hours of Prime95 I called it a day . This is more to REAL world use than OCCT LINE PACK ! ( try to remember this is a real use computer ok . )

I still can not tell what my temps are on cores 3 and 4 . But surely they are at or BELOW 38 !
Now I am not out to set any world records with an OC . So you made me laugh :D when I heard this . I mean world record OC ? Come on man use your head . I think the temps are great I mean I just can't see why no one sees what I am , But if one of your friends did this you would be saying man that is cool ! great job ! Give me a break . I put this together my self ( Much like you all do yours ) and it is nice to hear some one compliment you on your build not tear it all to hell . You know what I mean ?

Last edited:
We just don't know why you got the TEC. TECs are for sub ambient cooling for max overclocks. Well when they could go that low when CPUs only were like 80 watts max.

You didn't gain anything. Your temps are no better than a full on watercooling loop because your TEC is only able to keep it barely stable. The TEC is running at it's max and just able to keep the CPU at normal WC temps.

And I do belong to a few other forums, you have created a big stir on them, made few friends, and we all say the same.

You could try sink water directly through the loop for a day or two. I'm curious, I really am. I KNOW the TEC needs more cooling than you can give it, your on the ragged edge, I hope it doesn't die.

Still you made it work, kudos to you. Your results are not what TECs are made for, much colder temps.

You were able to do it with all of us naysayers. Good job. But beware your TEC is at the ragged edge under load. Too bad your CPU has stuck sensors for the low end. Not the first Q9650 to do that, too bad you can't see your real idle temps. But Idle means nothing anyway.

Maybe you can make it better?

He needs a beefier WC loop, and more importantly a 15v 26amp power supply for the TEC.
That'd give the tec an extra 60 or 70 watts (something like that), which would help a lot.

I had excellent results with a 130w tec (12v though, so it really was 130w) on a core2duo, full load temp was 11*c and idle was <-20*c

We just don't know why you got the TEC. TECs are for sub ambient cooling for max overclocks. Well when they could go that low when CPUs only were like 80 watts max.

You didn't gain anything. Your temps are no better than a full on watercooling loop because your TEC is only able to keep it barely stable. The TEC is running at it's max and just able to keep the CPU at normal WC temps.

And I do belong to a few other forums, you have created a big stir on them, made few friends, and we all say the same.

You could try sink water directly through the loop for a day or two. I'm curious, I really am. I KNOW the TEC needs more cooling than you can give it, your on the ragged edge, I hope it doesn't die.

Still you made it work, kudos to you. Your results are not what TECs are made for, much colder temps.

You were able to do it with all of us naysayers. Good job. But beware your TEC is at the ragged edge under load. Too bad your CPU has stuck sensors for the low end. Not the first Q9650 to do that, too bad you can't see your real idle temps. But Idle means nothing anyway.

Maybe you can make it better?

Ok maybe I did not explain myself . OK I was shopping much like every one els does I found THIS and this is what it said to me .

The Swiftech MCW6500-T-775 Thermoelectric CPU Liquid Cooling Block is a thermoelectric CPU water-block designed to be integrated with high-end liquid cooling systems such as Swiftech's H20-220 Apex Ultra.

Thermoelectric cooling can bring a processor's temperature down lower than normal liquid cooling because the block core can get lower than ambient temperature. Many of the record setting scores in the past have been done with the assistance of thermoelectric cooling.

The Peltier Device (or TEC) is powered by your computer's power supply and actually lowers the temperature of the processor via a process called the Peltier-Seebeck effect, or simply the thermoelectric effect. While the unit produces heat on one side (cooled by the liquid cooling systems) it cools the other side below ambient temperatures.

If liquid cooling isn't getting you the performance you need, the MCW6500 will do the trick!

Note: This product is intended for advanced users and requires appropriate insulation measures to prevent the formation of condensation in sensitive areas of the motherboard. Whereas Swiftech provides gaskets, and specific installation instructions for a safe assembly, utilization of this device is at the sole risk of the user.

Now where does it say ANY thing at all here on what you are telling me ?
I saw this read it and said Hmm I would like to give that a try . So with that said I have it it is working and very well I might add . what more can I say ? It really and truly does what it said . It cooled my CPU down and for that I am well pleased . You can say what you want you can tell me any thing you want . It is in it works and I am happy . Nothing you say can change that . I am not a supper clocker and no were did it say this was for supper clocking power users NO WERE ! ! That said biased on my reading I got this nothing more than I wanted cooler temps and I wanted THIS . How hard is that to understand ?
Ther is no way I will be able to MAX this thing out not now not EVER ! I tried and I failed to do so , So any I looking at the numbers wrong and I should take it off right now because my computer is going to die ?
P.S. I installed a second rad to this and it really keeps things in check as well . So what ragged edge am I hanging on ? I do not see it . Maybe you are right it will fail then COOL it does I get a new computer simple as that !
And so what if I stir up some of your misconceptions on other forums ? Gets you talking about it .

Last edited:
Back