• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

next build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rainbow Six

Registered
I know someone who will be needing a new computer soon. I would like to build a better one, so I might sell this system and do so. I am planning to use both Crossfire and RAID0. Here is my blueprint:

Things I already have:
GIGABYTE GN-WP01GS 802.11B/G
XFX Radeon HD 5770
WD Caviar Black 640GB

Things I will need for initial build:
Here

Things I would like to add later on:
Here

I would like to know if I forgot something or if anyone has any recommended changes.

not a fan of valueram cause you get what you pay for, but otherwise it looks like you got everything.. did you think about aftermarket cooling

Kingston's value RAM is very good. I've done quite a few upgrades on many systems that didn't need performance/gaming RAM. The quality in value RAM is there but it isn't designed for overclocking. It is a good, basic functioning memory.

If you are going to be gaming, high end system, etc. consider a high performance memory like Kingston's HyperX, GSkill's Ripjaws, or Corsair's high end to name a few.

I changed the memory to the Patriot G Series. Is that good?
did you think about aftermarket cooling
Aftermarket cooling is really unnecessary, at least for me. I do not plan to overclock.
I've torture-tested my Athlon II in prime95 and have never seen it go above 53C, with a maximum tempterature of 71C; an 18-degree difference.
The Phenom II does use more power, but includes an improved heatsink over the Athlon II. That along with the many fans will be more than enough.

Also, I've found the Sunbeam PSU's are getting high ratings and are significantly cheaper (and modular FTW).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817709024

Scratch that. The Sunbeam equipment is getting okay reviews, but upon further research, there are a lot of complaints from people who never received their rebate checks.

Check this out: 700w modular with 6 SATA power ports, highly rated, and OCZ IMO makes good stuff, plus $7 more gets you an HP DVD-RW with Lightscribe.

The OCZ 700W ones don't seem the have the necessary amperage I need (55a).

@nihil2010 - hopefully you are not referencing newegg reviews as your end all be all for information. There are TONS of just plain junk for reviews on there. Stick with jonnyguru.com for finding some good articles on psus and other equipment. Also troll around our boards power supply section.. or this article in particular in which some of the best are teased out into an easy to read list!
Recommended PSU's

Corsair are some of the most reliable out there, sunbeam has its good/bad just as everyone else does.. OCZ also has its good ones.. read the list above for what you want.. for the rig you're posting about i'd stick with 700+ just because you want to crossfirex etc

That case is sick dude and at that price! :shock: kingston hyperx makes GREAT ram and thats what I use. I swear by it :salute: You should definitely consider that although sector 5 is some badass ram too

Thank you for your recommendation, but hyperX seems to be extreme overkill for me as I will not be overclocking. Patriot's Sector 5 appears to more than match my needs as it is.

Back