• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Enlighten Me on current best noise to performance fans.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dominick32

Senior Solid State Aficionado
Guys, I am a performance junkie but also prefer against having noisy 70 DB lawnmower fans on my HS. Over the last 1 and 1/2 year or so, I have built about 7 different Core i7-920 C0 and D0 rigs for myself, family, friends, and customers. I have always used the TRUE Original, up until the current build which included the Venomous X. Again, I always use Dual Noctua NF-S12B FLX for all of my builds for the longest time now. I am very happy with noise to performance ratio of these 19.99 Noctua fans: http://www.jab-tech.com/Noctua-NF-S12B-FLX-120mm-Premium-Fan-pr-4440.html Specs of Current Fan: 59.4 CFM @ 18 decibels

However, I have been building rigs but havent really browsed OCForums for a while and am unfamiliar with the current top of the line noise to performance push/pull fans that you guys recommend. I want more performance, but I also want quiet similar to the current Noctuas I am using. I am willing to go up to 25 decibels maximum, but need more cooling capacity for my i7 overclocks.

-D

PS- In case you are wondering, my best D0 build is using a TRUE rev. c with dual noctuas. Cpu made it to 4.59 GHz, HT enabled, prime/linx stable for 20+ hours so I know my current setup works. I just want to see if you guys have something thats even better?

If you are planning to spend the money, Gentle Typhoons are a GREAT way to go. One of the best performing fans out there, but they are around $16 or so (not sure if they are still hard to come by though).

Otherwise, i really liked my S-Flex fans personally. Great fans with very tolerable noise levels. They were a HUGE improvement over my Yate Loons.

If you are planning to spend the money, Gentle Typhoons are a GREAT way to go. One of the best performing fans out there, but they are around $16 or so (not sure if they are still hard to come by though).

Otherwise, i really liked my S-Flex fans personally. Great fans with very tolerable noise levels. They were a HUGE improvement over my Yate Loons.

Are the S-Flex fans a nickname for the same fans I am currently running? Noctua 12 FLX.

Any link on the Gentle Typhoon? What about CFM, Pressure, Decibels on them?

Thanks again for the info. Money is no object. I am simply looking to improve on my current 18 decibel/59 cfm Noctua's and increase cooling capacity without increasing noise too much.

Dom

Dom, suggesting to get your self that Gentle Typhoon, they're unique from the noise they generated.

Agree with Doz, one of the best noise to performance 120x25mm fan imo, linky -> http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/scge120mmsic2.html

Datasheet -> http://catalog.nidec-servo.com/products/pdf/D1225Chi-letter.pdf

PS : I forgot I have other thread looking for these fan's variant like this here and still no news event been contacting Nidec bout them -> http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=636125

Last edited:
Ok now the question comes. Since the 14.99 Gentle Typhoon essentially has the same specs as my Noctua SB 12 FLX @ 18 db's, 59 CFM. Does it make sense for me to buy the new Gentle Typhoon's for the same db and cfm marks or will pressure be marginally better from a performance standpoint? Is there anything else maybe a little bit louder /stronger but still considered quiet?

Thanks to all so far! :)

Ok now the question comes. Since the 14.99 Gentle Typhoon essentially has the same specs as my Noctua SB 12 FLX @ 18 db's, 59 CFM. Does it make sense for me to buy the new Gentle Typhoon's for the same db and cfm marks or will pressure be marginally better from a performance standpoint? Is there anything else maybe a little bit louder /stronger but still considered quiet?

Thanks to all so far! :)

Looking at those quote in yellow above, I guess you should move to 38mm fan instead of 25mm, and tune up the noise level using fan controller.

Looking at those quote in yellow above, I guess you should move to 38mm fan instead of 25mm, and tune up the noise level using fan controller.

Sounds good! What fans should I get now? lol :santa:
Assuming I buy a fan controller, and both fans running through the controller.

Thanks Vic.

Panaflo fans are a good choice; a better choice would be some Sanyo Denki fans. Newark has a good selection of Denki fans. That is where I ordered my Denki Beast from. Be aware that they come bare wire, so be prepared to head the fan wires.

My Panaflos work great but for noise, they are not for the light hearted. They are not Noisy per se, but they are not quiet in a quiet room. During Games and movies, you typically don't hear them, unless its a quiet movie. But they are loud. Pair it wilth a Sunbeam Rheobus and your good to go.

I only wish they made the Panaflos in 4 pin PWM so I could just control them from my motherboard. Then I would replace all my fans with Panaflos.

newegg reviews =/= accurate information

Kind of like asking a normal person which medical treatment you should go with.

Hey thanks, this is a really cool site I didn't know existed!

Anyways, having used three of the Silenx iXtrema for over two years I can say that some of those reviews aren't far from the truth . From what I've found, the fan uses grease and after so long the grease dries hence the fans starts to make noise.

I'd say I grease them about every 8-12 months.

newegg reviews =/= accurate information

Kind of like asking a normal person which medical treatment you should go with.

Normally I would agree with you moocow. But is really hard to mistake rattleing and fans that don't even work. I take new egg reviews with a grain of salt, but the more people that comment allows you to see a trend. The trend with those fans seems to be yes, they are very quiet. They also have a tendency to break.

And lets be honest, 72CFM at 14dB? If anyone believes that, I have a bridge I will sell you.

Never ever buy a Silenx fan. I used to sell 100+ of them a month. I can tell you a few things we learned before we stopped carrying them.

1) Airflow and db ratings are completly bogus
2) Failure rate is insane
3) Support from manufacturer is non existant.

Dropped them a couple years about to start selling Scythe. I have never looked back. Pick yourself up some GentleTyphoons or SFlex fans and you cant go wrong.

Never ever buy a Silenx fan. I used to sell 100+ of them a month.

Llew,

I hope I'm not hijacking this thread, so if you think I am, please start a new thread to answer my question here.

I'm pretty much decided on my new system, including all the W/C components (well, sorta ... :) ), but I keep going back and forth about the fan controller. I would like a controller that can set fan speeds according to temps. I've also read reviews where some people say that XYZ brand is plain junk, etc.:chair:

What brands do you like or dislike? And why?

Thanks.

I don't want to help you hijack this thread either so I will try to be brief. :) Personally I like simple fan controllers. There is enough software out there to read the temps of all your hardware, you don't really "need" anything more than a simple rheostat. However, if you want one that is more gadgety I have used the NZXT sentry 2 and found it acceptable. It controls 5 fans and has a temp sensors and a touch screen. All for around $35-$40. It will not auto adjust fans according to temps though, and I don't know of one that will. PM me if you have any other questions :)

I've got to redo some of my fans as well. Hey Dominick - I'm exchanging my motherboard (see other post).

One thing I'm concerned with is the Gentle Typhoon's massive center hub. Seems like that would be quite detrimental to its use as a fan for heat-sinks like the Thermalright Venemous-X?

Last edited:
Any with experience with the GentleTyphoon care to comment on electrical noise when undervolting? My Mechatronics that I'm temporarily using make nearly as much electrical noise when undervolted, as it does air noise when running at a full 12V. That constant "clicking" is very noticeable and annoying to me.

And what about the Scythe SlipStream models? The db and cfm ratings are on a scale similar to the GentleTyphoon, but of course with higher ratings of both numbers for equivalent speed. Most of my fans will be undervolted because I don't need very high cfm to keep my system cool, and to reduce noise. The GentleTyphoon seem like a great fan, but one I might need to keep close to 12V to be useful, while the SlipStream seems like it would perform well greatly undervolted, but I am unsure of any noise isues (clicking like the Mechas).

Back