• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A different Challenge.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chawken

Thought that it might be interesting for a friendly race to 5000 between members of ocsetiteam and NovaStar. The top 4 crunchers for NovaStar only produce 100 - 110 WU's per day and we would like to challenge a team from ocsetiteam with a simular production rate.

The NovaStar team members would be:

Sir-Epix
waltnat
luke
and myself.

How about it guys - are any of you game?

I would be up for something like this with all kinds of teams...not that there is much communication between most teams. :)

Cy

How are you guys doing so many WU's. Forgive my ignorance, but from what I have read the average time on a fast PC is about 6 hours per unit, giving me about 4 per day. Where are you guys putting all of your machines? I am having trouble finding room for 3-4 machines. If I am able to pull it off I would then be getting a max of about 16 units. Someone help me understand this. I would also appreciate it if some of you could post the number of machines you are running, some configurations, and the average times per WU. I understand if you don't want to, I see that there is alot of competition amoung yourselves. You may not want to give a newbie a head start.

Welcome to the forums, and hopefully, out team as well!

About your question...well, several of us are heavily addicted to SETI and don't seem to know when to stop building computers to crunch for this team. This many PCs is called a "farm" as it is used to produce many WUs.

Some of use have 3-4 PCs while a few more of us have 6-10+ PCs. I myself have 7 with another on the way crunching for the team.

Depending on the type of PC will result in how many WUs it produces. A very powerful and highly overclocked PC can get a WU done in 3 hours or a little less. This would correspond to about 8 WUs a day. Now if a person had several of these machines, it mean a whole lot more workunits. Other of us, including myself, have a mixture of slow and fast PCs and some dual CPU machines. The slowest I have personally is a dual PIII 500MHz and the fastest being a dual AMD 1.58GHz. I have 4 dual rigs allowing me to run two instances of SETI on each of those machines giving me nearly double the output while having fewer PCs. Here is a quick rundown of the average times some of my systems get:

Dual XP 1.58 = 3H45M
Dual PIII 1GHz = 7H25M
TBird [email protected] = 4H
PIII 933 = 7H

As far as where to put them, well, I have a separate room they all go in and are controller by the same keyboard, mouse and monitor through a KVM switch. Others build shelves or racks for them and control them through various network utilities without needing monitors and such.

We are all highly competitive but not at the expense of getting another good cruncher added to our team. ANY of us will be happy to help you in any way as we value our dedicated team members...the more WUs, the better!

Welcome again!

newtoseti said:
How are you guys doing so many WU's. Forgive my ignorance, but from what I have read the average time on a fast PC is about 6 hours per unit, giving me about 4 per day. Where are you guys putting all of your machines? I am having trouble finding room for 3-4 machines. If I am able to pull it off I would then be getting a max of about 16 units. Someone help me understand this. I would also appreciate it if some of you could post the number of machines you are running, some configurations, and the average times per WU. I understand if you don't want to, I see that there is alot of competition amoung yourselves. You may not want to give a newbie a head start.

My sig might explain some of your questions. I am ecele...The third fastest on the team...darn you nate!

I'm in- current stats show 24 per day (working on it though;) )

As to newtoseti's question: most of mine are in my basement, making noise and crunching work units.
Current setup:
*XP1800 (1533@1670) (my workstation, slows it down a bit) 3.5 hrs. average (Win2K Pro)
*TBird 1000@1400 about 6 hrs. or a little under (Win98se)
*TBird 900@1096 6.5 to 7 hours (RedHat linux)
*Dual PIII 1000 (not oc'd right now due to damaged mobo) I think its doing about 9.5 to 10 hours a wu (WinNT Workstation)
* Celeron 1ghz laptop 12 to 14 hours (WinXP)
*Dual PII 400 about 13 hours (RedHat Linux)
*K6-2 450@500 about 25 to 30 hours (RedHat Linux)

Another rig is in the works: Duallie, of course, still deciding between a H2O cooled Athlon MP or Prestonia Xeons:cool:
Also a new VP6 for the Dual PIII is needed- I need my extra 150mhz x2!

And while we have all our little rivalries going, anyone will try and help- and encourage- anybody to improve their stats!

O.K. with Cy, godfodda and rogerdugans that is about 99 per day. Need one more on the ocsetiteam with about 10 wu's per day and we're off.

faster than epix

Of course I'm darn faster than Epix. heh. But yes, this race sounds like a wonderful Idea. ::insert evil grin here::

With LandShark we're up to about 125 or thereabouts: can you guys pull one more from NovaStar in to even it up? Or will one of us have to drop out and get another with slightly lower numbers in?

rogerdugans said:
With LandShark we're up to about 125 or thereabouts: can you guys pull one more from NovaStar in to even it up? Or will one of us have to drop out and get another with slightly lower numbers in?

i sure don't mind to step down for someone else since i'm the last one in....:)

and u could be sure i'll be BACK next round........;)

novastar handle it?

I dunno.. Chawken, Epix: Do you think us four (with luke of course) could handle 125/day? You'd better look at those stats of ours pretty well, Chawken.. ;-)

Re: novastar handle it?

waltnat said:
I dunno.. Chawken, Epix: Do you think us four (with luke of course) could handle 125/day? You'd better look at those stats of ours pretty well, Chawken.. ;-)

Why not. The race would be to 5000. I will be adding 2 puters at some point in the race - to replace 2 that I lost a couple of weeks ago. They will be duallies, so that should make up for the difference.

[size=4.5]NovaStar[/size]
chawken
ecele (Sir-Epix)
jokrswild (waltnat)
luke

[size=4.5]versus[/size]

[size=4.5]ocsetiteam[/size]
Cy
rogerdugans
godfodda
landshark

Race to start on Monday 2/11/02. First team to 5000. I will get everyones starting stats on Monday 7am PST.

Is this O.K. with everyone?

rogerdugans said:
Sounds good to me!

Upload now guys- no sandbagging! j/k:D

I would need work units to sandbag, which I currently have none, so like I have 20 computers idleing...darn you berkeley.

Sir-Epix said:

I would need work units to sandbag, which I currently have none, so like I have 20 computers idleing...darn you berkeley.

You had better get them rigs up and running or Team OC will toast our buns.:p

Back