• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Error starting VirtualBox on win7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Methal

Setting up my wife's i7 to fold on. She has to use windows because some program she runs to print stuff.

anyway, i've been trying to run sun's virtual box to install ubuntu and use this thing for something other than just coupon printing.

After I install virtual box I am getting the following error.

"failed to start the virtual machine Fah

Unknown error creating VM
(VERR_VMX_MSR_LOCKED_OR_DISABLED).

anyone seen this? I don't know what verr_vmx_msr even is, or why it would be locked or disabled.

so far all i've tried is search for verr_vmx_msr and found nothing, and uninstalled, re downloaded and reinstalled VB

I don't see why you would want to run VB or VM, just run the SMP2 client in Windows. You will have to run 10 WU's with the passkey first if you haven't done so yet. That's the only time I would recommend a VM with your wife's machine, if she doesn't have 10 yet. After that I'd run SMP2 for the bonus.

^+1. The Windows SMP2 client is producing better in most cases than the Linux client in a VM. Saves a bunch of memory resources too.

I don't see why you would want to run VB or VM, just run the SMP2 client in Windows. You will have to run 10 WU's with the passkey first if you haven't done so yet. That's the only time I would recommend a VM with your wife's machine, if she doesn't have 10 yet. After that I'd run SMP2 for the bonus.

-bigadv check list sticky

3. You must have the Linux Client 6.29, or the Intel/OSX client, available from the main download page.

Thats why I need to run a VM.

on the virtual box installer right click properties and there is an unblock section click it to unblock then run installer

I've hit this before. There is a BIOS setting to turn on virtualization. Virtual Box will hang up without that setting enabled.

Not sure about your BIOS, so I can't be more specific than that.

At one time Virtual Box was too unstable to run -bigadv WUs. Later editions MAY have fixed this, but haven't overcome the 10% performance penalty compared to VMware Player 3.0.0. Otherwise, I can't help you with VBox, but can with VMware.

on the virtual box installer right click properties and there is an unblock section click it to unblock then run installer

Did that, didn't change anything.

I've hit this before. There is a BIOS setting to turn on virtualization. Virtual Box will hang up without that setting enabled.

Nothing in bios about visualization, its the EVGA classified i7 mobo.

I've run a VM on this computer before. The only thing different is Windows. Runs fine on Linux. How does microsoft make the most simple things impossibly backwards, stupid, and unstable? why is there ALWAYS some tinkering around to get things to work like they should....You can have two IDENTICAL windows machines side by side, and on one something will work, (like remote connecting) on the other it wont....

srry bout the rant lol. If you can't tell I can't stand Windows.

anyway.....

At one time Virtual Box was too unstable to run -bigadv WUs. Later editions MAY have fixed this, but haven't overcome the 10% performance penalty compared to VMware Player 3.0.0. Otherwise, I can't help you with VBox, but can with VMware.

Well scrap VBox then lol. Doesnt VMware cost money though?

is it that difficult to set up?

going to see about DLing it now.

"The MSI
C:\Users\ERIK\AppData\Local\Temp\vmware_1270180117\vmware re player.msi failed"

nuts....

EDIT: Reboot and it seems to be working...It just wont install ubuntu 64bit because it thinks I don't have a 64 bit proc.

2nd EDIT: ok ok, i finally got it. Dunno what I did different. I *THINK* it was when I completely shut off my machine. When I changed the bios to enable the cpu to use VT and saved the computer shut off....apparently thats not good enough.

VMware is YEARS ahead of Vbox so far =D

Last edited:
2nd EDIT: ok ok, i finally got it. Dunno what I did different. I *THINK* it was when I completely shut off my machine. When I changed the bios to enable the cpu to use VT and saved the computer shut off....apparently thats not good enough.

VMware is YEARS ahead of Vbox so far =D

At which point did the computer shut off? Maybe Windows needs to be installed with VT on, turning it on later may make it unhappy.

You could also use Ubuntu as the main OS and Windows as the guest.

I have similar issues with 64 bit guests on my system. Stupid motherboard does not have an option to turn on AMD-V but the CPU supports it :( .

right after I saved bios (f10-enter) then it powered off, and back on.

Back