• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bit the dust.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brutal-Force

So I had my first Nvidia casualty EVER. I have been using Nvidia 10 years and outside of the occasional fan noise I have never had one up and die on me.

I noticed yesterday that the Fan seem to be blowing at full RPMs. I have two of the same cards in SLI so it was easy to compare the noise. I then looked and found that the bad card wasn't showing up in the Control Panel and it happened to be the 2nd card that isn't hooked up to the monitor.

I did the old swip swap back and forth to trouble shoot and yup.... shes dead.

The bad part is this card is only about a month and a half old, and outside of a few bench tests, it runs stock about 97% of its life. Has anyone lost a video card within a month or two of ownership recently?

So I started the RMA last night, and lemme say, BFG was pretty matter of fact. They asked a few questions and then sent me an email to RMA it. I asked if he could assure me of getting a GTX 260. (Getting something else would not work with my SLI and just one GTX 275 or something wouldn't be as fast.) Anyways its the weekend so I will ship it out on Monday (fingers crossed). Thank god for SLI I guess it leaves me with the option of a Back up. :)

Were you using the Nvidia's 196.75 driver, if not it sounds like a rare occurrence, it happens.

Did you have to send a invoice like evga needs.:(

Last edited:
I was using the latest drivers after the whole cooling fan fiasco, I run Nvidia gadgets on both Cards on the right side of my monitor 24/7 with temps and they have never gotten over 70 degrees. Its safe to say, this is just one of those times that this happens.

I dismissed a high pitched whining under load that I hear is pretty typical, but that may have been a sign.

They (BFG Tech) were very quick and responsive, so I am looking forward to sending in my card for a replacment.

I asked to double check and not send out something different than a GTX 260 for SLI purposes. I can't imagine if they upgraded me what it would be for, but I would think most likely a GTX 275 and since I couldn't run SLI it would be a downgrade. He said its in his notes to check in stock or something. Lol it was early (3:00am) and his servers were doing maintainence. I got the RMA email about 10 min. after he hung up. He went out to smoke a cigarette in the meantime. :p

Did you have to send a invoice or receipt in like evga needs. Just wondering if BFG RMA is less hassle.:)

Were you using your board that has the bad IMC? Maybe the board killed it?

Or maybe you have another issue creating these problems (maybe possible bad PSU)?

Did you have to send a invoice or receipt in like evga needs. Just wondering if BFG RMA is less hassle.:)

When you initially register the card, you send a copy/fax/digital receipt in to register.

Basically they send you a link, you enter your phone number (which your RMA is registered too) and you print out the RMA stuff and put it in the box and send it.

A pre-paid postage box would be nice I guess, but it would add to the time it takes to send it in. They said turn around is 3-5 days after they receive my card.

doz, nah. I don't think the two are related. I think I have been having issues with this card since I got it (before I had the asus board). Its always hard to tell with SLI especially when its not the primary card.

It was making a noise and kept getting nvdll type errors while benching. It also squealed a little which my old card doesn't do. I just think I got unlucky. Since BFG has a lifetime warranty, and I run SLI, so basically built in back up card, its not much of a hassle and the cost won't be too bad, maybe 11 bucks or something.

I am sure I will get the Asus problem ironed out. Its not a huge problem, not like it happens every day. Its more of an annoyance then a problem. Hell it might even fix itself with the next bios revision.

Back in the day I had a few BFG casualties. They were really quick with their replies to emails/phone calls and their RMA service was awsome. We're talking during the great AGP days ;)

Yeah, I was very surprised. No long drawn out questions, they spoke perfect english and the guy was very down to earth. Although most people would think him going to smoke a cigarette during my RMA Phone call was unprofessional, I was thinking, "When was the last time a automated touch tone call center went and smoked a cigarette?" He could have just said, lemme put you on hold.

Anyways, I will be sending it out tomorrow. this kind of stuff always happens to me on the weekend, hehe. But like I said, SLI ftw, I don't miss much.

If they don't have your card in stock anymore, Ask if you can send both in and get both changed so you can still run SLI. BFG is usually very good in taking care of their customers so perhaps they will work with you.

If they don't I will do that. I just sent in the first one today. I don't see why it should be a problem though, 260s are still quite common. Probably more so then a 275 or 285. A 295 is just downright expensive.

I had a dream last night that at compUSA the 295s went on sale for $93!!!

Yeah I was kinda depressed when I woke up.

It came in a case like this, and I was standing at the register with two.... and then I woke up. :(

storm-2075-case.jpg

Yeah I was kinda depressed when I woke up.

It came in a case like this, and I was standing at the register with two.... and then I woke up. :(

storm-2075-case.jpg

Lol, i had this really cool dream about me owning an Alianware M17x, and i even tried to wake myself up in the dream to make sure it wasn't a dream, and i didn't wake up, so i figured it was real, and went to playing games on it... lost a race in NFS Pro street, and then i woke up :'(

Back