• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Last night was the first time I really put a CPU to work (except for folding)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brutal-Force

A friend of mine at work asked why he couldn't play some of his music in different computers/stereos. He is not very computer literate, actually at 60 years old, he knows just enough to make himself feel dumb.

Anyways, I happen to have my netbook at work and decided I would show him how to convert his music files to MP3. They were all MPEG-4 and for some reason he couldn't play them. :shrug: So I downloaded a free music converter and put my Intel Atom to work. OMG! it was 373 songs and it took six hours to convert them all. I was really wishing I had my i7. One day I will do a test to see just how fast I can do the same work on my home computer.

Wow, 6 hours? I'm surprised the poor thing didn't overheat and shut down. I wouldn't be surprised if an i7 could do it in well under an hour.

Thats kinda what I thought, unfortunately I didn't have my desktop. Since It is my weekend and his days off are on different days, I couldn't bring him the converted music for a few days. I just wanted to see how long it would take and I was surprised. I figured an hour or two tops for that many songs, but I was wrong.

I can convert about 130 albums from flac to mp3 in about 10 minutes using foobar, at least that's what I recall the timeframe being. It's been a while since I transcoded my whole music collection. I could do it again tonite to give a good reference.

This is an i5 at 3.5ghz, I can go to 4ghz, just not doing it as it's too hot. :(

No test yet? It would be funny to see what the i7 does it in...That's why I have the i7 820Qm laptop...Hmmm maybe if they could fit it in a netbook? I think the plastic case would melt...

Back