• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Starcraft 2 general discussion.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
cant wait to get my hands on this game...any word on release date?

Blizzard originally said that they planned to do about 6 months worth of beta testing. Based on reports I could quickly find on google, the release looks to be around Quarter 3 of 2010. So I'd wager it will be out around September or October. August seems too early, and I doubt they will be going for a holiday release either. A quick look on Wikipedia shows that the latest they release their games is november. If the game isn't released in november, they wait till January to release it. It appears Blizzard isn't a fan of December releases.

I wasn't implying that the graphics or even the art looks the same in that comment. It was more of a comment about how it still looks like it belongs to the star craft universe. No one is going to look at SC2 and confuse it with any other RTS. While the graphics are MUCH better, and the art changed, The art STYLE is the same. It has the same style as SC1 did.

I would have to agree there.

Blizzard originally said that they planned to do about 6 months worth of beta testing. Based on reports I could quickly find on google, the release looks to be around Quarter 3 of 2010. So I'd wager it will be out around September or October. August seems too early, and I doubt they will be going for a holiday release either. A quick look on Wikipedia shows that the latest they release their games is november. If the game isn't released in november, they wait till January to release it. It appears Blizzard isn't a fan of December releases.

Blizzard also said that they will release when it meets there standards. One reason why blizzard games do so well is the playability on low end systems. Even on low S2 seems a little heavy to me. ( not for my system but for the average consumer) Wouldn't surprise me if S2 waited until 2011. I haven't had any problems but some people have had major issues with ultra settings. ( like screen tearing and blacking out randomly) Some people say these problems are due to S2 default refresh rate settings.

If I remember, the Warcraft 3 and FT games had anywhere from 3-6 months of beta time.

I've been watching a lot of replays.

The Meta Game and basic strats I've seen the most of are :

Terran - MMR (Marines, marauderers, medivacs) | Reaper or hellion harass into viking, banshee, seige tank mech build. 100% need ghost's EMP shockwave to counter a heavy mech protoss build. Immortals just dominate MMR troops masses.

Zerg - Speed Zerglings / combo banelings harass into mutas or roaches into hydras. Corrupters absolutely rape MMR from what I've seen.

Protoss - Zealot proxy pylon rush + mass warp gate, Speed immortals with stalker and zealot support, or mass collosus with stalker and zealot support. Protoss seem the hardest to play because they suck so bad against air atm and their tier 1 units are kinda meh until you get zealot charge and stalker blink.

I also saw a game of someone do a mothership rush. Right as the terran broke into his base with MMR it finished building and he vortexed the entire army and cloaked the rest of his, so $$$$.

Caster builds are pretty tricky to play, but seeing someone do mass psystorm correctly or mass corruptors is awesome. I haven't seen too many people use ghosts and nukes and win a game, but those are always the most fun to watch.

But most of all, I'm looking forward to the custom game environment in SC2. It's going to be amazing.

Immortals own marauderers because the overshield activates on their attack.

But stim packed marines are very good against immortals. Good players mix in the sentry shield on top of their immortals and the zealots cut the marines down.

Most people I see overbuild marauderers mid game and done get enough marines, that's where immortals shine.

Theres no lan for sc2?

Nope. Blizzard made it 100% official. They decided to not include LAN in SC2. You have to log into Battle.net to play.

So if you have a lan party, You will have to have every PC connected to battle.net to play against your friends. Not sure how it will treat two local PC's ( or more ) in these situations. does battle.net direct connect the PC's in the game? Or does it connect everyone to battle.net, then send all the data to each PC? I'm not sure how it does it, but either way, there's no LAN option. To play any kind of multi-player, you will have to log into battle.net to do it.

I don't have an official answer, but since the local pc's are already connected to bnet I would assume that it's going to serve the game through bnet. Otherwise, they may as well have given you the LAN option. The other thing that makes me believe it still serves local games through bnet is the fact that right in the game lobby, there's a big spot that says something to the effect that "co-op vs. AI games are not ranked." I think the LAN option would have been nice, along with the good 'ole install clone option, but I can totally see why they would consider the LAN option obsolete. If that's even the reason they didn't include it. Maybe they just didn't want to spend time and money on writing the code for it *shrug*

From what I can tell Blizzard is trying to elevate Battle.net to a facebook strata.

They want you on it 24/7, in every game, with cross game functionality and chat. Even when you're not gaming they want you on it.

Understandable in the social media environment we now live in.

I played a few games today for the first time, and it's REALLY good. I played SC/BW for about 8 years and SC2 has a great feel to it. Can't wait to play more.

If you buy the 100$ 'special' edition of SC2, you get that as a pet in WoW. Or something along those lines, gimmick to charge people an extra 40$.

I am here, click me! NYAAAAHHHHHHHH

Last edited:
Back