• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Starcraft 2 general discussion.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It's not going to just be massing is it?

I will always credit Warcraft 3 for breaking from that.

I don't think so. There are a lot of cool strategies to employ, simply massing units doesn't get the job done.

As an example, if you mass Zerglings against a Protoss player, a good startegy is to get a Collosus. If you micro him well you can easily wipe and entire army of Zerglings...

Whoa the sentries seem kind of overpowered:
I predict massive abuse. This guy's also giving away a beta key to a random youtube subscriber on apr. 20, so might as well. He's got some other good videos too, check out his mass reapers game.
I had the beta for about 2 weeks now and totally never realized sentries do hallucination. That makes the sentry about 10x better for me :p... They're not overpowered, though. His opponent in that video was pretty bad too.

If you guys want to watch some nice high level games, you can watch the commented games here. They're from a recent clan match. They're all have some interesting builds and the commentating is great.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=120145

Editing to avoid double post... - The server is pretty much broken right now. You can log in and be playing fine, but then log out and all your stats and friends list are erased. Log in and out again and you're logged in under someone else's name. Eventually relog enough and you can get back on your own profile but all your games have been erased. It's impossible to play vs anyone good right now in a ladder game because I have to keep playing placement matches vs bronze players ><

Last edited:
Man, this beta is frustrating...the game is kick *** and fun, but the last 3 out of 4 games I've played (2v2s) my ally has been absolutely horrible. I am NOT good at this game and I am doubling my ally's score. Grrrr.

Looks like they are keeping the multiplayer to a maximum of 8 players...

however, I am only basing this off of the match making system which can match up a maximum of 4 players VS 4 players. It may be possible to to make custom games with more players.

I remember that in SC1 you could actually make games with 8 players + an additional computer player (player 12 I believe)... anyways that was the player assigned to the doodads but you could give player 12 actual units and in theory you could give it AI as well...

I finally got a chance to play the Beta, and I have mixed feelings on this one. I have been playing SC since it first came out. SC + 28k dial up + Windows 95 = good times!

I feel that SC2's graphics are adequate, as that is not what the game is about. But, it takes some serious getting used to the new units and lack of resource gathering.

My only real beef with the game is that while it left out the "Heroes" (whew), it added a lot more (useful) special abilities for the units. I was never a huge fan of this and find it a bit annoying. leave that stuff for WC3.

Considering all the hype and all the time spent working on this game I expected more. I guess Blizzard is a fan of long lunches and lots of coffee breaks. Still, it's not a finished title yet, and with the new map editor I bet there will be some really cool UMS games.

Of course I will still be buying this game. Come on, It's SC2!!!!

While starcraft was always terrificly balanced for FFA, I always felt it suffered a lot when it came to team play compared to a lot of games. Most of the RTS games I play are 4v4 so I will pick up starcraft for the story and probably not delve much into the multiplayer.

While starcraft was always terrificly balanced for FFA, I always felt it suffered a lot when it came to team play compared to a lot of games. Most of the RTS games I play are 4v4 so I will pick up starcraft for the story and probably not delve much into the multiplayer.

After playing a good deal of the beta, I will have to totally agree with this idea. Mainly getting this for the story.

2v2, 3v3, 4v4 are unbalanced and subject to a large number of virtually unstoppable cheese strategies.

However 1v1 is almost perfect, consequently 1v1 is the only mode anyone who plays this game seriously really cares about anyways.

Never really played much ffa so I cant quite comment on that yet.

Hope for LAN?

http://www.geekosystem.com/star-craft-2-lan-support/

Blizzard outraged many gamers when it announced that Star Craft II would not support multiplayer gaming over local area networks. That is, gamers would no longer be able to get a bunch of desktops together in someone’s house, or at a tournament, and play each other on a small network. All multiplayer would have to be routed through Battle.net, and thus require an internet connection, even if the two computers were right next to each other.

The original Star Craft, and its little brother Warcraft III, were a large part of LAN party culture, and so the idea that the first sequel to the franchise in more than a decade wouldn’t honor Star Craft’s contributions to LAN culture was pretty unexpected.

Big Download is now reporting that there may still be hope.

Blizzard gave them this statement:

We will be addressing StarCraft II tournament functionality in a post launch patch to the game, soon after ship. This patch will include features to address the needs of location-based pro tournaments, but we have not discussed any specifics about tournament support beyond that.

So it sounds like Blizzard is, at the least, committed to allowing large, professionally organized LAN parties, if not the little ones in your buddy’s basement or your college computer lab.

Dunno about the final release yet, but should be similar to the Beta.

The requirements for the Beta are as follows.

PC Minimum System Requirements*:

* Windows® XP/Windows Vista®/Windows® 7 (Updated with the latest Service Packs) with DirectX® 9.0c
* 2.6 GHz Pentium® IV or equivalent AMD Athlon® processor
* 128 MB PCIe NVIDIA® GeForce® 6600 GT or ATI Radeon® 9800 PRO video card or better
* 12 GB available HD space
* 1 GB RAM (1.5 GB required for Windows Vista®/Windows® 7 users)
* DVD-ROM drive
* Broadband Internet connection
* 1024X720 minimum display resolution

PC Recommended System Requirements:

* Windows Vista®/Windows® 7
* Dual Core 2.4Ghz Processor
* 2 GB RAM
* 512 MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800 GTX or ATI Radeon® HD 3870 or better

*Note: Due to potential programming changes, the Minimum System Requirements for this game may change over time.

Sheeeez!

An 8800GTX? That sucker was top of the line 4 years ago... looks like I'll have to start trolling the classifieds...

Man... I been out of PC gaming too long... I've not clue what's going after taking a look at what's for sale.

Looks like the easiest option is to buy an Asus gaming laptop. I don't have time to piece together a PC from the classifieds.

Back