• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Starcraft 2 general discussion.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This is the first time I preordered from gamestop, does this mean we can pick up the game at midnight on 7/26?

IF they do a midnight release for the game you can, not sure if they will be or not, might wanna call your local gamestop and ask.

As a avid RTS player, I remember when I 1st got Warcraft II and was just blown away, I'm defiantly interested to see how SC2 turns out.

I did want to quickly touch on something that was talked about in the 1st part of the thread. There actually has been some very interesting innovation in the RTS genre. Rise of Nations was very cool the way that it did it's territories. Each player had their own sphere of territory that they could build in and gather from. Further when they ventured out of that sphere with any unit the units would suffer attrition and die if not accompanied by supply units. It also led to very cool 'push' strats where you could box other players out of resources. (MP games also were neat in that when you were allied with someone you both had access to each others territory. A common tactic would be for an ally to help push by building off another allys territory.)

And then in the x-pack they put in a race that could build anywhere, even outside their territories which lead to some very interesting strats for them. That race also changed the way that they got the 1st tier resource, food, by having it based on your worker population rather than having them actively gathering it.

They also had rare resources that you would send a specialized unit out to. Having your unit gather that rare would give your civ a bonus as well as added income. They were always a prime raiding target of course being defenseless but then in the x-pack they added a civ that allowed those units to actually fight back as well as being tougher to kill.

I'd also add that since SC there have been a number of good 3d RTS games. Homeworld and Homeworld 2 were both really good games. I've just started to fool around with Sins of a Solar Empire but I hear it's good too. While not really relevant in what they do vs a more 2d game like SC or RON it's RTS games have not been without innovation.

I doubt that SC2 will, or should, put in that many new features. I remember playing RON at 1st and thinking wth this is kinda silly. (I had been playing AOE II a lot.) But the games depth really grew on me. So for fans of SC they likely want more of the same just updated with a few tweaks rather than a full on rebuild of the RTS that they love.

IF they do a midnight release for the game you can, not sure if they will be or not, might wanna call your local gamestop and ask.

They do it for pretty much all games that have enough pre-orders. SC2 will almost definitely have a midnight release.

I wanted to make a thread, but I am curious, what do you think, is this game worth it?

I am a huge war3 fan, I think the hero system makes the game much more fun(sometimes insanely imbalanced, but overall nice).

But what do you think. Is it worth paying 60 dollars for this game, then potentially another 120 in the upcoming years for the two other games?

What about the net battle net system. Is it worth paying for those packages?

I'd love to hear any thoughts by people who enjoy RTS, but are not necessarily sc fanboys(you are biased!).

I wanted to make a thread, but I am curious, what do you think, is this game worth it?

I am a huge war3 fan, I think the hero system makes the game much more fun(sometimes insanely imbalanced, but overall nice).

But what do you think. Is it worth paying 60 dollars for this game, then potentially another 120 in the upcoming years for the two other games?

What about the net battle net system. Is it worth paying for those packages?

I'd love to hear any thoughts by people who enjoy RTS, but are not necessarily sc fanboys(you are biased!).

The gameplay is old hat any many who played the beta say that it's essentially the same as the old one, however the story should be pretty good, which is what I'm looking forward to in particular.

God, everyone crying its the same game. Then dont buy it. I never played WC3 because I grew up on WC1 and WC2. They changed it a bit too much for me.

I for one am happy it hasnt changed alot. They took a great game, and updated it pretty much, keeping the gameplay the same.

People who loved SC1 will love SC2. People who didnt, probably wont. Pretty simple.

Call it fanboism, or whatever you want. If you dont wanna buy it, dont.. I didnt like what they did with Warcraft series, so I didnt buy it.

Now, I really wish they would revamp Total Annihilation, the only game I thought that could have possibly kept pace with Warcraft.

God, everyone crying its the same game. Then dont buy it. I never played WC3 because I grew up on WC1 and WC2. They changed it a bit too much for me.

I for one am happy it hasnt changed alot. They took a great game, and updated it pretty much, keeping the gameplay the same.

People who loved SC1 will love SC2. People who didnt, probably wont. Pretty simple.

Call it fanboism, or whatever you want. If you dont wanna buy it, dont.. I didnt like what they did with Warcraft series, so I didnt buy it.

Now, I really wish they would revamp Total Annihilation, the only game I thought that could have possibly kept pace with Warcraft.

If you think SC2 is the same as SC1 you CLEARLY have not played the beta at any competitive level. It is full of cheese and has been balanced by someone who clearly never worked on SC1 or ever played it at a real level.

If you think SC2 is the same as SC1 you CLEARLY have not played the beta at any competitive level. It is full of cheese and has been balanced by someone who clearly never worked on SC1 or ever played it at a real level.

Agreed. It needs some work before launch if it expects to live up to the level of balance of SC1. It also involves WAAAAY more micro managing of unit special abilities... not sure how I feel about that yet.

because the original starcraft was perfectly balanced at launch and not due to 10 years of patches... :rolleyes: maybe its just me but i think anyone hosting a competitive league for a game in beta needs to have their head examined.

the great thing about blizzard is they don't forget about their work and we'll be getting sc2 patches clear into 2020, assuming the world doesn't end in 2012 first.

because the original starcraft was perfectly balanced at launch and not due to 10 years of patches... :rolleyes: maybe its just me but i think anyone hosting a competitive league for a game in beta needs to have their head examined.

the great thing about blizzard is they don't forget about their work and we'll be getting sc2 patches clear into 2020, assuming the world doesn't end in 2012 first.

Exactly.

The point about SC2 being the same as SC is this; the fundamental gameplay has not changed, at all. The balance and the units have, sure, but the overall mechanics have not.

LOL I remember starcraft back in 1998 suprisingly. Ill tell you what, the changes and advancements (one of the biggest being the BW expansion pack) are HUGE compared to the original game. I mean, remember when hydras would tear apart marines like nothing in the original? Remember whn you could 4pool someone and they couldnt do ANYTHING about it (back when a pool was 150 minerals)?

I really hope I dont see you posting about SC2 ever heavens, obviously you hate the game so much that you wont play it, atleast I hope...

Competitive starcraft? Hmm, I quit playing games competitively when I got a life... Games are fun, playing games seriously involves wayyy too much time and consumes lives. Ive done it, and all it does is create problems for a person who isnt a bachelor, doesnt have a job, has someone to support them, ect ect...

Wait what?

I was/am decent at SC1. Not pro by any means... but I'm at ~100apm for SC...

What do you mean by "cheese"

So I shouldn't spend money to buy this laptop just to play SC?

Also to add, 1v1 isnt the only thing that starcraft was ever about. I find 1v1 to be not so fun honestly. Id much rather play 2v2 team games (me w/ a partner vs. another pair of partners) or 3v3 inhouse games so its people of the same skill.

Beta is back up. I just went 1-8 until it went down. Apparently 600k people logged in haha.

Ugh, I suck at this game. I don't understand. 10m in to the game and this guy has 3 thors attacking my base while I have about 5 zealots....

Also to add, 1v1 isnt the only thing that starcraft was ever about.

No. No it wasn't. If it was then why could you have 4 vs 4 games? If blizzard wanted the game to be a 1 vs 1 game they wouldn't have let you have 4 vs 4 matches.

Honestly, the thing I am most excited about in SC2 is the custom maps. I mean, just look at how far you can go with map editor:

When you get SC2, you get all the fun of regular SC matches, plus the custom map games, which pretty much equals endless fun. One of my favorite custom maps to play is a remake of Risk! There was also a map that played exactly like that classic snake game... That was a little odd...

Back