• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Starcraft 2 general discussion.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So i wasnt able to get into the beta, but i hear its just basically like starcraft 1 only better graphics. Is there really anything that sets itself apart from the first othere than maybe some new units?
also sure upload some screens.

So i wasnt able to get into the beta, but i hear its just basically like starcraft 1 only better graphics. Is there really anything that sets itself apart from the first othere than maybe some new units?

What would be wrong with that?

What would be wrong with that?

Dont get me wrong, i enjoyed sc1 a lot, but it would be nice to see some more innovation especially with the time its taken to be released. Not like C&C4 innovation :( btw.

They're probably just balancing units etc right now? Regardless im definitely going to get this game just wondering what the beta players thought.

I've been saying it from the beginning, SC II will never truely live up to the hype. Yes, everyone will go nuts because it's new, but after those first few weeks wear off, I have a feeling it will be a dissapointment considering how long they have been working on it.

I think it might not live up to the hype of a lot of people, but it will still be an A+ title.

I've been watching the commentaries every single day since the beta came out. Not bored yet. :)

Dont get me wrong, i enjoyed sc1 a lot, but it would be nice to see some more innovation especially with the time its taken to be released. Not like C&C4 innovation :( btw.

They're probably just balancing units etc right now? Regardless im definitely going to get this game just wondering what the beta players thought.

It's an RTS, what kind of innovation are you looking for? It's Star Craft 2, not a brand new IP. Naturally it's going to be very much the same.

Oh, and the new units, add A LOT MORE new strategy to the game. MANY of the old strategy's simply won't work anymore, due to the new units, and their abilities.

It looks like star craft 1, and the mechanics are the same, But it plays quite a bit differently. There's just so much more going on this time around. If you know what units are good against, you can even stop a full squad of Carriers from destroying your base.

But seriously, people always complain and say they want "innovation" in new games. But never explain what they mean by that, or what they would like to see. It feels like the word "innovation" is nothing more than a band-aid term being used by everyone since the Wii came out.

So what would YOU add or take away to make it more "innovative" WHILE keeping the Star Craft feel, look, and mechanics?

It's an RTS, what kind of innovation are you looking for? It's Star Craft 2, not a brand new IP. Naturally it's going to be very much the same.

Oh, and the new units, add A LOT MORE new strategy to the game. MANY of the old strategy's simply won't work anymore, due to the new units, and their abilities.

It looks like star craft 1, and the mechanics are the same, But it plays quite a bit differently. There's just so much more going on this time around. If you know what units are good against, you can even stop a full squad of Carriers from destroying your base.

But seriously, people always complain and say they want "innovation" in new games. But never explain what they mean by that, or what they would like to see. It feels like the word "innovation" is nothing more than a band-aid term being used by everyone since the Wii came out.

So what would YOU add or take away to make it more "innovative" WHILE keeping the Star Craft feel, look, and mechanics?

Im still a SC fan and enjoyed the original storyline but i need more.. I havent been able to get my hands on the game, so thats why i asked if there was anything spectacular besides updated graphics etc. I think thats why people complain- If you havent noticed...there is a strong trend today in games towards visuals...and not gameplay.

What would i add? How about co-op missions for starters?

If I'm not mistaken, Warcraft 3 being a great departure from War2 and even SC...did have it's share of people that just couldn't stand it because it was "too different."

Im still a SC fan and enjoyed the original storyline but i need more.. I havent been able to get my hands on the game, so thats why i asked if there was anything spectacular besides updated graphics etc. I think thats why people complain- If you havent noticed...there is a strong trend today in games towards visuals...and not gameplay.

Nay, SC2 will be the awesome hit it is hyped up to be, if only because the map editor is godly in capabilities. I fully expect the custom games to be amazing for SC2.

And of course, melee is also extremely fun for those who liked SC1 :)

The map editor looks ridiculously powerful. There was even a video of a third person shooter demo in it made in about 30 mins by a Blizz designer. Someone could totally recreate SC:Ghost in the map editor.

If you want to learn more about the game, check out www.teamliquid.net. It's the largest western SC community and their forum has tons of current SC2 info. You can also watch commentated streams of the game with well known/good players.

zex is right, the new/modified units add a ton to the game. For instance, as Terran you're going to produce a lot of marines. They aren't your main unit in terms of being the front line, though. They're as much offensive as they are providing an offensive defense. Basically, they're awesome as fodder to help your other units get close to their intended target. However, they're also a good main force [early game] with some marauders along with them. Add siege tanks, medivacs, and a few vikings to the mix and you're doing pretty well against most combinations of enemies you could come across, land or air.

I've gotten a few plays in so far and I'm not particularly blown away by any of the new stuff. It feels very much like SC1. I'm actually a little surprised that there's no hero system like in WC3. I'm really glad for the new graphics engine though, and I'm sure there will be some killer mods created. Who knows, WC3 was a little stale until they released the expansion. It should definitely please the people who have been clamoring for an experience close to the original. I'm also looking forward to the campaign mode. I guess I'm still in the buy-on-release camp but the experience so far has been somewhat lackluster.

For about the first 10 minutes, you notice the graphics. You zoom in and out, thinking how good everything looks....and then the action starts.

Once the battles start, and things get heated up, graphics is the LAST thing on your mind in this game. In the middle of a battle, the only eye candy you tend to notice is those damn nukes. outside of that, you are focusing on micro management, resource management, expanding your main base, and fending off attacks.

I think SC2 is a really good mix of graphics and game play. The graphics are really the LAST thing being focused on in this game. But they didn't just give us Star Craft with a higher resolution and Anti Aliasing either.

A game looking good for the sake of looking good is usually bad. Blizzard did not take this rout. And just because a game looks good doesn't mean the gameplay is going to suck either. The game looks good, but the gameplay is there, and the gameplay is still the heart of the game.

-Part 1
- Part 2
- Part 3

I found these the other day. Very exciting. Will give you an idea at how much strategy is really in this game. It's a 2v2 match, Protoss/Protoss vs Terran/Terran.

A game looking good for the sake of looking good is usually bad. Blizzard did not take this rout. And just because a game looks good doesn't mean the gameplay is going to suck either. The game looks good, but the gameplay is there, and the gameplay is still the heart of the game.

Yup, Blizzard never won high marks on graphics, yet they seem to make some of the most popular games in history. The increased player pool from people with lowend to moderate systems is an obvious benefit. Plus, since all their games are regular titles in cyber cafes...they too...do not have to upgrade so often for the latest and greatest games.

And at least their games don't serve strictly as benchmarks. Hmmmm.....like so many others?

I think there is now 300% more strategy involved with SC2. And that is just of what I have seen. And I am not even in the beta yet :) I very seriously think that it will live up to the hype at the very least. Blizzard has a track record for doing very well, even if it takes forever. If they prove me wrong, well, oh well.

Ive played SC from the day it came out (1998). Ive been waiting for this. Does it equal the fun of the original? Hell yes! Ive been playing the beta for awhile now (I was Gold league #1, they just moved me to Platinum, 9th place right now) and I love it.

My wife loves it too!

Hey guys sorry it took this long to get back to you. Just been working out for my next tournament a lot.

No it's quite a bit different, obviously it's a sequel so it plays similarly. But the new units (as mentioned above) have added whole new elements from to the game. It's also more difficult to mass units now, because scv's, probes and drones only collect 5 resources at a time instead of 8.

It looks like star craft 1, and the mechanics are the same, But it plays quite a bit differently.

Do you have the beta? It looks completely different. S2 has a completely different look. Almost none of the buildings or units look the same, the game plays at whatever res your screen is and it's actual 3d. (Let me elaborate on the 3d comment) if you move your screen so a necxus is on the right of the screen you can see the front and right side of it. It's the opposite on the left. The original didn't have that, and you couldn't zoom in in the original.

Yup, Blizzard never won high marks on graphics, yet they seem to make some of the most popular games in history.

I would agree for the most part, but S2 on ultra looks absolutely amazing. ( not like metro or crysis amazing but pretty freaking nice.)

I think there is now 300% more strategy involved with SC2

Very true. Having played starcraft for like 8 years I'm having trouble making the transition. My old mass dragoons strategy no longer works. ( There are no dragoons)
And even massing carriers isn't all that effective. Blizzard is working really hard to balance out the game nicely. Simply massing one unit won't work because different units are effective against some units more than others.
Ive played SC from the day it came out (1998). Ive been waiting for this. Does it equal the fun of the original? Hell yes! Ive been playing the beta for awhile now (I was Gold league #1, they just moved me to Platinum, 9th place right now) and I love it.

I'm only in copper. =[

Give me like a month and I'll be good enough not to lose every game. ( I lose like 2/3 games now.)

I have a feeling it will be a dissapointment considering how long they have been working on it

I'm not so sure. The game is (so far) exceeding my expectations. And I am a die hard starcraft fan.

Do you have the beta? It looks completely different. S2 has a completely different look. Almost none of the buildings or units look the same, the game plays at whatever res your screen is and it's actual 3d. (Let me elaborate on the 3d comment) if you move your screen so a necxus is on the right of the screen you can see the front and right side of it. It's the opposite on the left. The original didn't have that, and you couldn't zoom in in the original.

I wasn't implying that the graphics or even the art looks the same in that comment. It was more of a comment about how it still looks like it belongs to the star craft universe. No one is going to look at SC2 and confuse it with any other RTS. While the graphics are MUCH better, and the art changed, The art STYLE is the same. It has the same style as SC1 did.

I've been playing the closed beta Offline. People have been working on making custom AI, and editing maps. The custom made AI isn't any where near the level of another human, But the newest launcher and AI mod really bumped up the difficulty ( on hard ) compared to the previous AI mod.

Back