• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

955 stability issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

the_cultie

I built a pc for a friend but I am having trouble with stability. Here are the specs:

Phenom II 955
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4GB OCZ DDR3 PC3-12800 / 1600MHz Platinum Edition
Gigabyte GeForece GTX260-216
Corsair 650W PSU
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
Windows XP x64

When I run Linpack in OCCT or folding on the cpu the pc completely locks up and I have to hit the reset button. I've tried setting everything to manual and increasinc some of the voltages a little but no joy. Heres what I have a the moment:

Code:
CPU Clock Ratio         x16  ->3200MHz
CPU NorthBridge Freq.   x10  ->2000MHz
CPU Frequency(MHz)      200
PCIE Clock              100
HT Link Width           16 bit
HT Link Frequency       x10  ->2000MHz
Memory Clock x8.00      1600MHz

DDR3 Voltage Control          +0.200V  ->1.8V
SB/HT VoltagControl           Normal
NB/PCIe/Pll Voltage Control   Normal
CPU PLL Voltage Control       2.500V
DDR VTT Voltage Control       Normal  ->0.800V
NB Voltage Control            1.120V
CPU NB VID Control +0.150     1.2500V
CPU Voltage Control           Normal

I had a look at Dolks guide but I got confused. Any help would be greaty appriated.

Last edited:
Nice choice of board. ;)

Since everything appears to check out just fine, there is only one thing I could possibly suggest: Drop the ram divider to 3:10 (1333) and then re-run the tests. All the ram issues I have heard of with Am3 have to do with OCZ. Exactly why I bought Mushkin for an extra $40.

Yes it is a nice board. I am going to try the lower ram speed now. If it doesn't work I might be acquiring some other DDR3 ram soon so I'll swap and see what happens. Hopefully I can get it to work.

Okay. It's the only thing I can see that is even moderately "unstable." Everything else is similar to my rig and this board has been nothing but stable.

Well it was slightly better this time. OCCT did error but at least this time the pc didnt completely freeze up. Guess I'll have to wait and see if the other ram will work correctly with it. Any ideas why OCZ wont work right with AMD. I just saw they have AMD edition ram now.

I haven't heard why it occurs, but I have heard that the ram just won't run 1600mhz in any brand mobo really or the ram causes freezes. I would create a thread on the OCZ support forums and then you can see if they have an answer and if not you can get an RMA. And while that is being sorted, you should order a set of these. :D

Nice, all going well I'm getting a set of G.Skill Ripjaws so hopefully they will work. Pity there is no newegg over in Europe though, would have a much better selection of new parts.

A Word to the Wise,

Last Year i bought a MSI 790fx-gd70 motherboard, and a set of OCZ3P1600LVAM2g (platinum 1600 mhz ddr3 rated at cas 7. I kept failing prime 95 right off the bat and went to OCZ forums for help. I kept seeing a generic answer for almost every problem, either it was that the AMD cpu's did not support 1600 mhz, or that we needed to set our cpu-nb at 2600mhz plus and just be happy with 1333 cas 6, even though the ram is rated for higher. Very few times did i even see OCZ even suggest that the ram might be bad or have compatibility issues, so if your going to the forums for help, good luck. By the way when i first bought the memory i was using a 720 be processor, once i moved up to my 965 c3 i figured i would be able to get 1600 mhz cas 7 to work, no go even with a processor that supposedly has alot stronger IMC.

My advice, try another brand, maybe patriot.

I am running G.SKILL Trident 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-2GBTD @ CAS 7 on an 890GX with a 620.

These G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL8D-2GBHK @ CAS 9 1600 on a 785G.

I have no problem with this brand

So now you can choose from: Patriot, Mushkin and G Skill. I doubt corsair has compatibility issues, but I haven't seen it confirmed yet. Just stay away from Ocz. :facepalm:

I'll mess about with the RAM settings until I get the G.Skills. I hope I get it working becuase I was hoping to use them in a HTPC with an Athlon II x4 605e but we'll just have to wait and see. Oh would unganged or ganged make any difference for the stability?

I've used Plats and XMS almost exclusively for years and never had any issues - but I haven't moved up to DDR3 yet, either. Plats love high voltage and will usually OC 25% without a problem, at least on my DDR and DDR2 systems.

Hmmm, looks like there are several models now, which one did you get? Now that I'm looking at the models I do remember reading about issues with the non-LV versions of DDR3.

Did you guys with problems get the Plat LV series???

PS
Not to start a fight, and this is a Gigabyte board we're talking about here, there have been some recent issues with G.Skill on ASUS boards. Just so you know ...

I've used Plats and XMS almost exclusively for years and never had any issues - but I haven't moved up to DDR3 yet, either. Plats love high voltage and will usually OC 25% without a problem, at least on my DDR and DDR2 systems.

Hmmm, looks like there are several models now, which one did you get? Now that I'm looking at the models I do remember reading about issues with the non-LV versions of DDR3.

Did you guys with problems get the Plat LV series???

PS
Not to start a fight, and this is a Gigabyte board we're talking about here, there have been some recent issues with G.Skill on ASUS boards. Just so you know ...
I think its just the regular DDR3, not the intel or amd editions. I see the OCZ sticks have this EPP feature allowing up to 1.8V but what would be highest voltage you could go and still be safe?

And don't worry, I'm glad to get all the information I can.

If it's this model, OCZ3P20002GK, (a CPU-Z SPD shot would be nice ;)) then even OCZ says they'll take 1.85v all day (and I would be tempted to run maybe 1.90v with good case cooling).

Just remember those sticks don't have over-sized sinks so good airflow is critical for higher volts. How welll does your Freezer Pro stir the air around the RAM ...?

Quite well I'd think, the fan is just left of the RAM slots. But I have a Thermalright Ultima 90 with a 120mm fan ready to be installed in his pc when I get the RAM I'll install it, should move even more air. Also have a few 80mm fans I could stick over the ram. Nothing like a good elastic band to hold fans on ram :p

Yeah Quiet, mine are a set of the Low Voltage AMD Specials, but im trying to figure out what is so dang special about them, they don't work with any processor i have tried at rated speeds/timings and i have also tried them in 2 different 790fx-gd70 motherboards so i figure its not motherboard related.

Back