• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any Socket 1366 CPU roadmaps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JaY_III

Senior of BX
Was wondering if anyone had seen or has any road-maps for socket 1366 CPUs.

Basically i got a Core i7 940 on launch day in Nov 08 and Intel has not really released anything i see worth upgrading to.

I was hoping we would get some 32nm shrinks but so far I cant seem to find any information on this. Not counting the 980X as I don't want to be doping over a grand on that CPU.

As of right now the only thing I find interesting is the Xeon E5640 and X5650 but the price tags on them are alot more than the 55xx series so that make its a hard sell also.

I really hope i am not waiting for Sandy Bridge until i can upgrade.

edit:
this is the best i have to work off of right now.
http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/img/pcw/docs/360/112/html/2.jpg.html
anyone seen anything else?

wow that looks like a old road map or just one that keeps getting updated. since if that is true by Q3 new atoms should be out with faster clock speeds. still a 200mhz clock increase isnt much, i was wanting to see a 2ghz atom at least. it is odd you see some core 2 parts being listed or having a zone that goes into Q2 2011.

I hope based on the road map I found, its not to accurate. As Socket 1366 doesn't look to interesting. We really need AMD to kick it up a notch to put some pressure on Intel in the high end.

As for Atom, i don't think we can or should expect Intel to do too much with it.
If they clock them to high, they will take market share away from Intel's more expensive chips and their bottom line. Plus the real only competition i see anyways is Via. Once again, not too much pressure on Intel from them either.

i7 970 in Q3(?) might be what you're waiting for. I just got clued in on it myself (Thanks Neuro :D)

I researched this last week, conclusion: 1366 gets six core 32nm (already out) and maybe 32nm quad core counterparts. Socket death is 2011 (first quarter ish).

1156 is pretty much at its max at the moment, I read rumours of 32nm quads, but I'm kind of skeptical.

The next architecture (sandy bridge) will require a new socket Q1 2011.

-D

@diaz
what info do you have on the 32nm Quad Cores?
Any road maps your have found.

@nzaneb
Yeah the roadmap i found did mention the 970 and looks to be like it will have 6 cores.

Was wondering if anyone had seen or has any road-maps for socket 1366 CPUs.

Basically i got a Core i7 940 on launch day in Nov 08 and Intel has not really released anything i see worth upgrading to.

I was hoping we would get some 32nm shrinks but so far I cant seem to find any information on this. Not counting the 980X as I don't want to be doping over a grand on that CPU.

As of right now the only thing I find interesting is the Xeon E5640 and X5650 but the price tags on them are alot more than the 55xx series so that make its a hard sell also.

I really hope i am not waiting for Sandy Bridge until i can upgrade.

edit:
this is the best i have to work off of right now.
anyone seen anything else?

I think that is pretty much it. The best we can hope for is some cheaper 6 core gulftown processors. It would seem to me that the only way that is going to happen is if AMD's 6 core processors do well. Lack of competition acros the i7 line has kept prices very very stable. Intel for example is about to EOL the 920 without having to lower the price. AMD needs to step up.

@Cowboy X
Looks like the cheaper 6 core gulftown, 970, is all we will be getting.

At least it looks like the sytem is going to get some good millage then.
From Nov 08 till Q4 11 / Q1 12. This is quickly becoming the potential for the longest lived system i have owned since my 386.

If AMD's 6 core processors make inroads into the market, trust me something below the 970 will be released, if not ............... all quiet til Sandy Bridge.

@Cowboy X
AMD making inroads.... I would not hold my breath as they have run out of CPU design teams to buy out / recruit.
K6, NexGen
K7, Alpha Team
K8, Alpha Team did some tweaks.
K10, No new team and out of steam.

I am by no means a AMD hater, I have owed/recommended/built at one point all but the K10.
And until Bulldozer, AMD doesn't even have a chance. Sad thing for them is they will be competing with Sandy Bridge by the time AMD get the Fission chips out.

I really hope AMD does well. It keeps Intel honest.
Would be really nice to have the Coppermine / Thunderbird days back again.
IMHO that was the Golden Age of Overclocking.

32nm quad cores are the next logical step for 1156/1366 - Especially considering 32nm fab going extremely well atm, and the next high end desktop CPU is more than a YEAR away. If sandy bridge is Q1 for low/mainstream, do you really think that they wont come out with anything?

IMO, since their 32nm fabs yeilded much faster than they planned for, I personally think it is a very possible that within the next 6 months, 32nm quads wil be out.

@Cowboy X
AMD making inroads.... I would not hold my breath as they have run out of CPU design teams to buy out / recruit.
K6, NexGen
K7, Alpha Team
K8, Alpha Team did some tweaks.
K10, No new team and out of steam.

I am by no means a AMD hater, I have owed/recommended/built at one point all but the K10.
And until Bulldozer, AMD doesn't even have a chance. Sad thing for them is they will be competing with Sandy Bridge by the time AMD get the Fission chips out.

I really hope AMD does well. It keeps Intel honest.
Would be really nice to have the Coppermine / Thunderbird days back again.
IMHO that was the Golden Age of Overclocking.

Thuban doesn't look bad. In workloads that require real cores vs HT it will do quite well. The question is will there be enough software to get enough wins or enough good results to move Intel. they don't have to win, they just need to do well enough at a price point to make Intel's products look like less value. As for me, I do to an extent root for AMD especially with the dirty tricks Intel engaged in. But I am not a fanboy and will not buy an inferior product. Hence I avoided the entire Intel P4 line and retired my dualcore opteron for this i7. Whoever is performing in my price bracket will get my money. Simple as that.

Thuban doesn't look bad. In workloads that require real cores vs HT it will do quite well. The question is will there be enough software to get enough wins or enough good results to move Intel. they don't have to win, they just need to do well enough at a price point to make Intel's products look like less value. As for me, I do to an extent root for AMD especially with the dirty tricks Intel engaged in. But I am not a fanboy and will not buy an inferior product. Hence I avoided the entire Intel P4 line and retired my dualcore opteron for this i7. Whoever is performing in my price bracket will get my money. Simple as that.

I was kind of hoping AMD would strike back before sandy bridge came out though... They need a new design team! :bang head

I'm an intel fanboy, but I also like AMD products, the underdogs. They always shine and pull through. They do keep intel in their place to a certain extent. I think that intel is moving too fast right now. They should definitely do a full 32nm lineup and refresh on the 1366 and 1156 sockets before they release sandy bridge.

They should definitely do a full 32nm lineup and refresh on the 1366 and 1156 sockets before they release sandy bridge.
They arent? So nothing new (on 32nm) is coming out until Q3 2011 when Sandybridge is expected to be released? That kind of goes against the tick tock thing Intel has going no?

@diaz
I agree 32nm is the next logical step, that is why i am looking for a road map to see when and if we can expect more other than the yet unreleased Core i7 970.

@Cowboy X
I also avoided the P4
Traded my Tualatin in for a Barton then Manchester

@EarthDog
Q1 2011 to replace socket 1156 on the low end to upper higher end
Q3-Q4 2011 to replace socket 1156 completely and socket 1366

The tick tock is working just fine
New CPU family on a proven tech -> die shrink -> new CPU family on that shrink
Bloomfield was the new CPU on 45nm that Core 2 proved worked
Gulftown/Clarksdale/Arrandale is the shrink
Sandy Bridge is the NEW CPU on the proven 32nm tech

32nm quad cores are the next logical step for 1156/1366 - Especially considering 32nm fab going extremely well atm, and the next high end desktop CPU is more than a YEAR away. If sandy bridge is Q1 for low/mainstream, do you really think that they wont come out with anything?

IMO, since their 32nm fabs yeilded much faster than they planned for, I personally think it is a very possible that within the next 6 months, 32nm quads wil be out.

Yeah, but they also want to run their 45nm production lines as long as they can. I mean, they plan to release new Core 2 based processors even this summer.

Back