• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

From ambient to SUB-ZERO

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nice work Ed,

Now you've seen how easy and somewhat safe it is.

Stop with the slow stuff, and get that 980X on the go.

Thanks Dean, I reckon it is enough practice so will jump on the 980X on Thursday when I get back :)

Nice going brollocks I just took the plunge into DIce myself a couple weeks ago If my gpu pot arrived I am doing my vmods when I get home tomorrow and going LN2 for hte first time this weekend!

It really is addictive...

Thanks man, I can get used to the putting the freeze on my hardware :comp:

There should be more Scores posted :p

Wish I could, out of the country right now :(

In a sense I can kick me for not starting earlier...then again better later than never :)
For those that still sit in the middle putting off going cold...give it a try, cost wise it cost the same as a water setup, OK the dice is a consumable but is really affordable, plus you OC world opens up to a whole new dimension and opportunities.

Yeah, dice really doesn't cost that much, especially on a dual core.

Hell, what else am i going to do all day long that costs me $11?

Wattage consumed is a decent measure, though intel TDP is out in left field on the duals.

Probably close to twice as much, really. A core2quad is two core2duo dies after all.

I have yet to touch an intel quad, so i don't really know though.

Going cold with the 980X on the RIIE tonight...plan to run every video card I have and 3D benchmark with the 980X at max...target 500 boints :)

go for it Ed.... it's about time you finally came to your senses and have gone for the coldness! Congrats.....

Although I was time limit earlier today before I had to catch a flight I did have a good sub zero session with the 980X on the RIIE. With a much better mount and a more powerful Corsair PSU, used a lesser 750 W Antec previously, I could get to 5.4 Ghz without too much trouble. A bugged Win XP OS did hamper my Wprime times initially but overall I felt it was a good two hour run, The 980X does eat dice like hot cakes...used 8 lbs in 2 hrs

Attachments

• Wprime 32.gif
    Wprime 32.gif
    68.4 KB · Views: 685
  • SP32.gif
    SP32.gif
    56.7 KB · Views: 690
  • SPI.gif
    SPI.gif
    54.8 KB · Views: 683
  • Pifast.gif
    Pifast.gif
    65.6 KB · Views: 683
Nice...When you guys are using DICE or LN2, is there an upper limit you stay away from on the voltage? Like "no one has ever used 2 volts"?

No upper limit :D

No really, it comes down to results....you keep pushing until the speed stops increasing....or until the CPU dies :p

I'm speaking from an LN2 perspective. If I was running dice, I'd probably be very hesitant to exceed 1.9V on 32nm :thup:

I tried up to 1.95V on my 980X with LN2...but it stopped scaling at around 1.85V so there wasn't any point in going higher :)

I've even seen a few Clarkdales (also 32nm) pushing 2.2V :eek: But my motherboard had issues trying to push more than 1.9V so I never gave my i5 670 more than that...but if I had a motherboard that was capable, you better believe I would try more, the chip scalled nicely up to 1.9V....trying more is the next logical thing to do :thup:

With air benching it's the same for me....except that you then have to take temperature into consideration (duh :D), like when I was running 3D06 in my air benching the other night...I was using 1.6V with LLC turned on :eek:....that's a lot of current, but my CPU would stay under 100C during the 3D06 CPU test, and it scaled in speed with the extra vcore....;)
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641136

Last edited:
Lookin good Ed! You should throw those SuPi scores in the Slacker class in the SuPi competition ;) Show them what that class is really for.

But he didn't use the right wallpaper :p

It should be a non-scoring class anyway :p. Everyone is posting their air benches in there to boost their overall scores:screwy: I saw your 7:45 Miah, that's a nice time for 220 Bclock. My Classified won't allow my Uncore to run at x20, so I'm still a good 7 seconds off your run.
Sorry for the thread derail.

Have you located a Dewar yet Ed? I'm sure you're itching to go LN2 :D

Back