• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

From ambient to SUB-ZERO

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you conformal then no need to insulate the back of the board...conformal is really the way to go, waterproof, fool proof , peace of mind and looks neat (no mess)

I had mine mounted I.M.O.G. and took it off before starting my Dice, but I had the insulation to thick and it was putting a pretty good strain on the MB and I was afraid what would happen once it got cold. I plan to try it again but this time I wont go so thick with the insulation on the back.

Last edited:
i'll post my input. throw some kneaded eraser from an art store around the socket and surrounding area. it will take you about 20-25 minutes to insulate it at first, but then you'll get the hang of things :thup:!

put a piece of armaflex insulation (included with the pot usually) on the back side, along with a piece of paper towel between the mainboard and the armaflex. then on the top side dress the board in layers.

Code:
Layer 1: Kneaded Eraser
Layer 2: Paper towel
Layer 3: Armaflex
Layer 4: Paper towel again

then insulate the pot real well with armaflex pipe insulation, and you're good to go! :clap:

i'll post my input. throw some kneaded eraser from an art store around the socket and surrounding area. it will take you about 20-25 minutes to insulate it at first, but then you'll get the hang of things :thup:!

put a piece of armaflex insulation (included with the pot usually) on the back side, along with a piece of paper towel between the mainboard and the armaflex. then on the top side dress the board in layers.

Code:
Layer 1: Kneaded Eraser
Layer 2: Paper towel
Layer 3: Armaflex
Layer 4: Paper towel again
then insulate the pot real well with armaflex pipe insulation, and you're good to go! :clap:

Problem is with all that eraser around the socket it draws a lot of moisture as the eraser cools down rapidly, it is a good waterproofing but is a poor cold barrier

i have never had any issues with condensation with my style of insulating.. even under LN2 it holds up.

just pick a road you wanna go down and choose it. it will work either way if you do it right! :thup:

Ok, I found one of those and it goes down to -64C, so thats a little better :) All the others I've found is acrylic based.

Yeah, you want silicon conformal. Acrylic based will crack IIRC under extreme cold and will likely take out your board.

also, silicone should contract at about the same rate as the board will, so it won't put pressure on anything (I think...physics is my thing, not chem)

What should I do about insulating around the power delivery section? I'm talking about the part to the south of the socket, underneath the big heatsink here:
http://www.overclockers.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/b890fx_IMG_2791.jpg

Bunch of mosfets and stuff, and the heatsink partially covers a lot of surface mount components it doesn't actually contact. Should I get grease in there? Work in art eraser?

I'm skipping the conformal, since I haven't had the chance to get any yet. Planning to do the dielectric grease and art eraser around the socket.

What about the RAM slots? I see some people just stuff towel into the first slot. Is it a bad idea to use the first ram slots and just cover the contacts in dielectric grease?

What about the socket itself? Should I put grease in there?

Where is the frost king typically used?

IMOG, I can upload my pictures of how I layered my FK if you would like. I left a lot of space by the mosfets and their chokes, but since the board is insulated so well, almost no cold gets to them. The little cold that can make its way there is just used to cool the fets anyway. :)

I'm a bit concerned about it being LN2 rather than dry ice I guess.

You don't have to bother with posting the pics, unless you want to. I dug up a bunch of insulation threads, whichever I could find, and added them to the first post... I think most my answers are in there and I just need to read more to get an idea of what I want to do.

The preferred way now is (iirc) to use some eraser around the socket and do the rest with frost king so that you keep the cold away from the warm air and you keep the moisture away from the socket. You should have about 3 layers of frost king and finish with it level to your chip.

If you use the 1/8'' Frost King ( the recommended stuff) two layers gets you even with the cpu (on Amd), but a third helps to make a snug fit on the pot itself. :thup:

Back