Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6

10 Year Badge
    I have to ask you guys about this conformal again. I've gotten in contact with a group of danish overclockers, and they are helping me get the stuff that i need to go cold. Things are not as easy to get in Denmark

But they keep saying that the acrylic based conformal is ok to use. They all use it, and none of them have seen any cracks or sigh of pressure on components... Some of them have been using it for years, and say that they have never had problems with it. Would it be totally stupid of me to give it a try? The silicon based conformal is just so hard to get, because the places that sells it, only wants to deal with business 2 business, and i dont have a business

So what do you say, is the acrylic really stupid, or is it "just" not the best solution?
    You say Lady Gaga, I say Dash Berlin
    You say Hannah Montana, I say Orjan Nilsen
    You say Owl City, I say Above & Beyond
    You say Justin Bieber, I say Armin Van Buuren
    You say Taylor Swift, I say Dj TiŽsto

In Trance we trust!

Benching mayhem: Asus Rampage Extreme, Gigabyte Ep45 UD3P, QX9650, Q9550, E6300, 4x Cedar Mill's, Corsair Dominators 2000Mhz 8-9-8-24, Crucial Ballistix DDR2, Asus GTX480, XFX GTX260, Inno 8800GTX, Zotac 8800GT, Piotres CPU pot, EK Supreme HF, MCW60 Mo-Ra 3 Pro, Ek DC 4.0 and a Corsair TX750
    Daily driver: Asus P5Q Pro, Q8400, OCZ PC8000, GTX460, Enzotech Sapphire, EK GTX460 full block, XSPC res/pump and a HWLabs GTX480.

10 Year Badge
    Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile
    I'd say its quite possibly fine... Some people have their opinions, but most people follow suit of what others are doing.

Unless you hear from someone who has used it and believe they killed things as a result... Most people are probably relaying what is typically advised.

Gomeler doesn't use conformal. Just a bit of grease and toilet paper is all he used when benching all day at the XS party.

I don't use conformal... Microcenter didn't have it, and I didn't look real hard for it anywhere else. I use dielectric grease which I get in 3oz tubes at an autoparts store. I put that in the ram slots and in the CPU socket to make sure no air or condensation gets in there.

Otherwise, I just use some paper towels, frost king, and armaflex. Once you go cold, you will get an idea of how good your insulation is. Watch for frost growth in places you haven't insulated. If you notice some, you probably want to stop before too long and remove power to let things dry up... Give it some time to make sure things are good and dry before you power back up then improve your insulation for next time.

I had a RAM slot frost almost entirely over (3rd slot away from CPU socket). I kept running the session until I was done, then made sure I used grease on all the RAM slots after that.

Keep in mind I've only been going cold for a couple weeks now, but this is what has worked for me. I'll be sure to post in full detail when I kill something. But I know with my current insulation method that frost doesn't grow south from the CPU socket area. When I go cold on the GPU, maybe I'll look at using conformal there... But I'll probably insulate well around the GPU, watch for frost growth, then make adjustments if necessary. Generally however if you are insulating well and you have a fan blowing the smoke away from the board you shouldn't have many problems and the conformal wouldn't have any work to do anyways.
    The OC Forums Way
    We are a team. We are a community. We are a fellowship made strong by mutual respect and shared dedication to the task of enriching all who come here.
    The OC Forums Thank You Thread
    Put your computer to work for our OC Forum Teams!
    Try out our POST TEMPLATES, they save you time answering common questions!

I spend half my money on CPUs, GPUs, and Liquid Nitrogen. The other half I waste.

Quote Originally Posted by I.M.O.G. View Post

I had a RAM slot frost almost entirely over (3rd slot away from CPU socket). I kept running the session until I was done, then made sure I used grease on all the RAM slots after that.
    Did you have a fan blowing on the slots Matt?
    C2D E8500, Gigabyte EP45-UD3P-------------955BE, TA890FXE, Cooler Master GX 750
    Cooler Master 212+, Corsair 750TX----------HAF 932, Noctua D-14
    HyperX T1 1066 5-5-5-15 (2x2GB)----------Geil Black Dragon (2x2GB)
    MSI GTX 260, Raptor 75gb.------------------Gigabyte GTX 460, Seagate 500gb

>>>>>>>HeatWare<<<<<<<

10 Year Badge
    Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile
    Yea. It was blowing over the ram sticks and up to blow the LN2 smoke away from the board. The 2nd and 4th slots were in use, so there probably wasn't a lot of of airflow over the frosted over 3rd slot...

Somewhere there is a balance between fans blowing on the board. Keeping it warm might prevent frost growth but if you get frost and it melts, that's probably more dangerous than frost.

My Ram hangs out around 11-16C typically when running LN2, according to a probe stuck in the heatspreaders.
    The OC Forums Way
    We are a team. We are a community. We are a fellowship made strong by mutual respect and shared dedication to the task of enriching all who come here.
    The OC Forums Thank You Thread
    Put your computer to work for our OC Forum Teams!
    Try out our POST TEMPLATES, they save you time answering common questions!

I spend half my money on CPUs, GPUs, and Liquid Nitrogen. The other half I waste.

10 Year Badge
    I'd say its quite possibly fine... Some people have their opinions, but most people follow suit of what others are doing.

Unless you hear from someone who has used it and believe they killed things as a result... Most people are probably relaying what is typically advised.

Gomeler doesn't use conformal. Just a bit of grease and toilet paper is all he used when benching all day at the XS party.

I don't use conformal... Microcenter didn't have it, and I didn't look real hard for it anywhere else. I use dielectric grease which I get in 3oz tubes at an autoparts store. I put that in the ram slots and in the CPU socket to make sure no air or condensation gets in there.

Otherwise, I just use some paper towels, frost king, and armaflex. Once you go cold, you will get an idea of how good your insulation is. Watch for frost growth in places you haven't insulated. If you notice some, you probably want to stop before too long and remove power to let things dry up... Give it some time to make sure things are good and dry before you power back up then improve your insulation for next time.

Keep in mind I've only been going cold for a couple weeks now, but this is what has worked for me. I'll be sure to post in full detail when I kill something. But I know with my current insulation method that frost doesn't grow south from the CPU socket area. When I go cold on the GPU, maybe I'll look at using conformal there... But I'll probably insulate well around the GPU, watch for frost growth, then make adjustments if necessary. Generally however if you are insulating well and you have a fan blowing the smoke away from the board you shouldn't have many problems and the conformal wouldn't have any work to do anyways.
    Thanks IMOG, I think I'll just try with the acrylic then. Then I'll be the one that can report back if it's really bad.
    I think I'll go totally crazy and over-isolate, because it's the first time I try it Also some of these guys have access to Ln2, so if I'm lucky I might try that as well. So I'm just going to insulate so that it's good enough for Ln2 also, then I should be on the safe side if I only use DICE
    You say Lady Gaga, I say Dash Berlin
    You say Hannah Montana, I say Orjan Nilsen
    You say Owl City, I say Above & Beyond
    You say Justin Bieber, I say Armin Van Buuren
    You say Taylor Swift, I say Dj TiŽsto

In Trance we trust!

Benching mayhem: Asus Rampage Extreme, Gigabyte Ep45 UD3P, QX9650, Q9550, E6300, 4x Cedar Mill's, Corsair Dominators 2000Mhz 8-9-8-24, Crucial Ballistix DDR2, Asus GTX480, XFX GTX260, Inno 8800GTX, Zotac 8800GT, Piotres CPU pot, EK Supreme HF, MCW60 Mo-Ra 3 Pro, Ek DC 4.0 and a Corsair TX750
    Daily driver: Asus P5Q Pro, Q8400, OCZ PC8000, GTX460, Enzotech Sapphire, EK GTX460 full block, XSPC res/pump and a HWLabs GTX480.

Somewhere there is a balance between fans blowing on the board. Keeping it warm might prevent frost growth but if you get frost and it melts, that's probably more dangerous than frost.

My Ram hangs out around 11-16C typically when running LN2, according to a probe stuck in the heatspreaders.
    This and what Miah is doing has me curious if going cold on the RAM is going to give practical differences in benching. My main concern right now would be when I go to LN2 for the first time and worrying about the frost conducting on the RAM. I would have to give it a shot and see but if it looked like it was going to be an issue I was thinking of removing the heat spreaders and taping over the gold pins and using conformal on the RAM then place the heat spreaders back on and just use die electric grease in the slots to try to prevent any frost from being able to get into there and causing an issue.
    C2D E8500, Gigabyte EP45-UD3P-------------955BE, TA890FXE, Cooler Master GX 750
    Cooler Master 212+, Corsair 750TX----------HAF 932, Noctua D-14
    HyperX T1 1066 5-5-5-15 (2x2GB)----------Geil Black Dragon (2x2GB)
    MSI GTX 260, Raptor 75gb.------------------Gigabyte GTX 460, Seagate 500gb

>>>>>>>HeatWare<<<<<<<

Water Cooling Sticky Reading Enforcement Official
    Author Profile Heatware Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by CgS Drone View Post
    This and what Miah is doing has me curious if going cold on the RAM is going to give practical differences in benching. My main concern right now would be when I go to LN2 for the first time and worrying about the frost conducting on the RAM. I would have to give it a shot and see but if it looked like it was going to be an issue I was thinking of removing the heat spreaders and taping over the gold pins and using conformal on the RAM then place the heat spreaders back on and just use die electric grease in the slots to try to prevent any frost from being able to get into there and causing an issue.
    I've seen data that it does but I can't find it now...sufficient to say, it helps, though it varies by the stick and the ram will coldbug (I seem to remember optimal temperature for the testing I saw being somewhere around -60C
    If years were seasons, this December would be the December of our December.
    -Abed #sixseasonsandamovie

Heat

Benching Senior on Siesta
    Premium Member #8

Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile
    Yea. It was blowing over the ram sticks and up to blow the LN2 smoke away from the board. The 2nd and 4th slots were in use, so there probably wasn't a lot of of airflow over the frosted over 3rd slot...

Exactly, that is why I keep fans away from the pot as airflow around the pot causes frost/ice to melt and the water will run down to wherever, rather let the frost build up , that way it stays on the pot and only melts after you done benching

Benching Team Leader

Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile
    I have a tip from my last dry ice session, after benching a few hours and I still needed to do more benching. My acetone was not working very good because I had knocked in so much frost from around the top that it was starting to freeze. I let the dry ice mostly melt then I stuffed some paper towels down into the pot to soak up the acetone then refilled with fresh acetone.

Benching Senior on Siesta
    Premium Member #8

Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by xsuperbgx View Post
    I have a tip from my last dry ice session, after benching a few hours and I still needed to do more benching. My acetone was not working very good because I had knocked in so much frost from around the top that it was starting to freeze. I let the dry ice mostly melt then I stuffed some paper towels down into the pot to soak up the acetone then refilled with fresh acetone.
    Yep, use fresh acetone every time

Quote Originally Posted by Voidn View Post
    Great write up! Welcome to dice land, Now crank those volts!

20-25lbs would last me 2 days on single and dual cores. I burned through almost 40lbs dice'ing a 920 last weekend .

I bought 2 boxes of eraser from this place. They offer bulk discounts.
    link is broken , what am i looking for ?

Faber-Castel @ the hobby shop,,http://www.erasersworld.com/eng/faber.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by mikealaska; 04-15-11 at 05:31 AM.
    Asus-M4A89GTD pro, OS win7-64
    Phenom llx4,955be Deneb 3.2GHz
    2x2GB Crucial ddr3
    XFX Radeon HD5770A-ZNFC 1Gb
    XFX Radeon 650W psu
    zalman cnps9900 max
    zalman z9 plus case
    seagate barracuda 7200 1TB, asus dvd
    samsung SyncMaster 2494HM
    OC.Tools:prime95, cpu-z ,coretemp, 3dmark06

Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile
    That's the stuff!
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." -- Einstein (maybe)

Thinking about an Asus motherboard? Think again.

How to check your PSU with a multimeter.

17bXw5t51rEBXGavJFMJsC8g7HQgThUGc7

Fronting as a Mod Member
    Benching Profile Heatware Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by mikealaska View Post
    link is broken , what am i looking for ?

Faber-Castel @ the hobby shop,,http://www.erasersworld.com/eng/faber.htm
    There you go....
    http://www.dickblick.com/products/de...ubber-erasers/
    Daily Driver: GA-890FXA-UD5 - Ph II X6 1090T - 16GB DDR3 1333MHz - MSI R9 280X Gaming Edition/HD 5670/HD6570 - Venomous X Black + G1238B12BBZP-00 - TX850V2 - CM 690 II Advanced
    Join the "Benching Team" - We have secret sauce! - OptyTrooper: GPUs are for burning not playing games anyway
    Kona on League of Legends: This game sits about as well with me as a gallon of prune juice does, and the results are just as nasty.
    I done got Pinked...

Be sure to pre-tin everything (even soldered stuff!) with leaded solder. None of the RoHS junk. You want good old fashioned toxic heavy metals. ~ Bobnova

ok ! got it , slowing getting my list of materials and tools , this is gonna be fun!!

whats interesting is Dolk is benching our board .
    Asus-M4A89GTD pro, OS win7-64
    Phenom llx4,955be Deneb 3.2GHz
    2x2GB Crucial ddr3
    XFX Radeon HD5770A-ZNFC 1Gb
    XFX Radeon 650W psu
    zalman cnps9900 max
    zalman z9 plus case
    seagate barracuda 7200 1TB, asus dvd
    samsung SyncMaster 2494HM
    OC.Tools:prime95, cpu-z ,coretemp, 3dmark06

I just piced up some of that stuff from Micheals. Now I just need to get some hardware and get started

Eraser, Check
    Dice pot, check (en-route)
    Hardware...I'll get back to you on that
    Black Alienware M17X R2 | 940-XM | XFire ATI 5870 | Intel 160GB X-25M RAID 0 | N 6300 | 8GB 1333 MHz | RGB LED | Blu-ray Burner | Win 7 Ult | Vantage: 19291 | 3DMark06: 23720

Black Alienware M11X R1 | SU7300 | 1GB 335M | 256GB SSD | 8GB DDR3 | Win 7 | Vantage: 3308 | 3DMark06: 7129

Black Inspiron 1720 | T9500 2.6GHz | 8600M GT | 256GB SSD | 640GB 5K4 | 4GB DDR2 | Win 7 Pro | 1920 x 1200 | Vantage: 1457 | 3DMark06: 4366

I always used dielectric grease on my phase benching. This sounds MUCH cleaner. Nowhere near as cold albeit, but the stuff works great, and wasn't to hard to clean up after.
    AMD FX-4130 Zambezi @ 4.4ghz CM H100i
    2x4gb G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM @ 1866
    nVidia GTX770 1254/1865
    Rosewill Hive 650W PSU
    CM HAF 932 Advanced
    Gigabyte 970A-DS3P
    Crucial M500 240GB OS
    Seagate 1TB Data
    ASUS DVD/r
    Windows 8.1
    BTC = 194FjqNtWiz49VchKwSJ5qYSL4fL29v2uA / LTC = LTdEcTjRz9yXgpVZDRcvbCQCRu7U1RCDix

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6