• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

From ambient to SUB-ZERO

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
shame you didnt have a thermometer :(.

but some very good results there:attn:

Oh , and as I had no idea on temps, the bios got stuck at this, irrespective of the voltage or load, same with Coretem, could not get realtemp to work as I use a stripped down version of XP and missing some components
The only temp sensor that I've seen scale far sub-zero was on a 7600GT :shrug:
That's why most extreme cooling benchers use a digital thermometer :) Although for dice, if you just keep it as cold as possible...a thermometer is somewhat pointless IMO ;)
Crushing that much DI up is a huge pain, trust me.
Very true...skip that cr@p and go straight to LN2 :santa:

Gautam had mentioned previously in one of Bobnova's threads that he found a temp sensor to be useful with Dry Ice, to help keep temps more stable. I'd think it would help give you an idea or gauge if you are adding more material when you need to.

Nice work so far. Need to see you pushing at least 5.6 when you get back home and shoot for more :)

If you're benching a quad hard, and maybe a GPU, it's easy to burn through 30+lbs in one session. Crushing that much DI up is a huge pain, trust me.

Thanks Jeremy :), I was somewhat disappointed to be honest, was hoping to get to 5.5-5.8 last night. I think this board is holding me back, at 530 FSB I got stuck until I drop the RAM speed and then I could get all the way to 560 FSB when I got stuck again, went to bed soon afterwards

6.4lbs lasted me four or five hours last friday, that's on a conroe dual core.
9lbs lasted about seven hours on a different conroe.

You can't really store dry ice though, at best you lose 10% per day, and that takes really good insulation.

Yes, depends how fine you smash the stuff, you get lower temps on powder apparently but it reacts quicker as well. I still had a full block this morning, I kept the bag with leftover powder and one block in the cooler bag. the bag does get very cold underneath and ice tends to pack on, so I put it on a piece of card board

shame you didnt have a thermometer :(.

but some very good results there:attn:

Yep, I ordered an digi thremal unit that goes to -326 C, you can guess I'm not going to hang around smashing dice for much longer or what ;)

The only temp sensor that I've seen scale far sub-zero was on a 7600GT
That's why most extreme cooling benchers use a digital thermometer Although for dice, if you just keep it as cold as possible...a thermometer is somewhat pointless IMO

Very true...skip that cr@p and go straight to LN2

You on the money Miah, my impatience will drive me to LN2 in no time :)

Great write up! Welcome to dice land, Now crank those volts! :attn:

20-25lbs would last me 2 days on single and dual cores. I burned through almost 40lbs dice'ing a 920 last weekend :shock:.

I bought 2 boxes of eraser from this place. They offer bulk discounts.

Thanks, and I will for sure get some more of that rubber stuff, no more air benching for me :cool: Going to prep all my boards for icy benching :)

Last edited:
Another tip with the eraser...some is tougher than other...If you get some that seems very difficult to kneed, stick it in the microwave (tennis ball sized amount) for about 60-90 minutes on low (or defrost)....then it should be easier to work with ;)

Yep, I ordered an digi thremal unit that goes to -326 C, you can guess I'm not going to hand around smashing dice for much longer or what ;).....

.....You on the money Miah, my impatience will drive me to LN2 in no time :).....

.....Thanks, and I will for sure get some more of that rubber stuff, no more air benching for me :cool: Going to prep all my boards for icy benching :)
Very exciting...you're made for this stuff Ed :thup:

Another tip with the eraser...some is tougher than other...If you get some that seems very difficult to kneed, stick it in the microwave (tennis ball sized amount) for about 60-90 minutes on low (or defrost)....then it should be easier to work with ;)

Did you honestly mean minutes? :shock:

Thanks Mike, making the conscious decision to make the switch was the hardest for me...however resistance is futile as they say :)

Great write up! Welcome to dice land, Now crank those volts! :attn:

20-25lbs would last me 2 days on single and dual cores. I burned through almost 40lbs dice'ing a 920 last weekend :shock:.

I bought 2 boxes of eraser from this place. They offer bulk discounts.

I bought mine from the same place.

good deal

Nice going brollocks I just took the plunge into DIce myself a couple weeks ago If my gpu pot arrived I am doing my vmods when I get home tomorrow and going LN2 for hte first time this weekend!

It really is addictive...

Back