• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: EVGA Classified SR-2 Case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Great build! Seems to have really come together nicely. How do you like the casters on the bottom of the case? I've been talked out of using casters in a case build before and now I somewhat regret it; the portability and clearance would have been nice.

Great build! Seems to have really come together nicely. How do you like the casters on the bottom of the case? I've been talked out of using casters in a case build before and now I somewhat regret it; the portability and clearance would have been nice.

The final weight of the completed rig required the use of casters. And the added height will help to draw-in air from the bottom of the case.

I completed the fabrication of the top case's side doors and attached them using the same "post and hook" latching mechanism that I used on the bottom case.

EdgeGlueUp.jpg

EdgeGlueUpCU.jpg

TopCaseSideDoors.jpg

This week the window in the doors were routed out. Then the doors were scraped, sanded, stained and finished with a satin wipe-on polyurethane finish. Here's what a door looks like after three coats of polyurethane:

TopCaseDoorwWindow.jpg

In between staining and finishing the parts to the top case, I worked on fabricating the front doors using the same build techniques as all of the other doors in this project. The final width an height of the doors was gradually achieved by numerous trips to and from the jointer.

FrontDoorEdgePieces.jpg

FrontDoorEdgeGlueUp.jpg

TopCaseFrameFinished.jpg

FrontCaseWithUnfinishedFrontDoors2.jpg

FrontCaseWithUnfinishedFrontDoors.jpg

Thats sweet. I know im a project man and was considering a plastic fabed case a while back, though wood definatly seems much easier to handle with the tools I have. Course I'd be all for it. Nice job!

Man to many projects right now... got to hold off considering something new.

The last bit of fabrication is on the top of the case, made from 3/4-inch oak veneer plywood and solid oak edging. Edging was glued and scraped flush to the surface of the plywood.

TopWithEdgeMaterial.jpg

TopEdgesGluedAndScraped.jpg

The top is removable. To help with re-aligning the heavy top to the carcass some guide blocks were glued to the underside of the top...

TopGuideBlocks.jpg

...and four threaded inserts were installed.

TopThreadedInserts.jpg

BottomOfTop.jpg

Honestly that is some impeccable work! Everything is so precise and the attention to detail is top notch! Great work is an understatement, I don't even like wood cases, but that is just beautiful, and what a great choice he went with on the SR-2, it's going to NEED that size of a case! :santa:

Back