• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: EVGA Classified SR-2 Case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Looks great! This is going to be an amazing case!

Good job :thup:

EDIT: Definitely let me know if you'll have time to write up some short summaries of your projects.

Last edited:
This is one beautiful project coming together. Subscribed!

Heh, Matt...if you need to get Spotswood here a login for Wordpress, you just let me know. :thup:

The fan covers are the last of the aluminum parts (yippee!):

FanCovers-1.jpg

I used a 1/2-inch router bit and an old router template to cut the wiring and tubing slots.

SingleFanCoverRouted.jpg

FanCoverJig.jpg

FanCovers.jpg

Now I just need to (re-)prep everything for powder coating and send them all off to the painter's.

Its time to start making some sawdust!

Ripped and thickness planed some 1x8-inch red oak into 1.5-inch wide boards to be used as the lower case face frames.

FaceFrameMaterial.jpg

Pre-stained the wood and drilled the pocket holes.

PocketHolesDrilledInFaceFrame.jpg

FaceFrameMaterialStainedAndDrilled.jpg

The bottom of the case was also drilled for pocket screws.

BottomPocketHoles.jpg

Face frames were assembled with some glue and screws.

FaceFrameAssembly.jpg

A homemade depth gauge was fashioned from some rubber stoppers/bumpers.

HomeMadeDepthGauge.jpg

The depth gauge was used to drill holes for #8 threaded inserts on the inside of the face frames. A hex driver made the task of screwing the inserts into the wood easy.

ThreadedInsertsDriver.jpg

The lower case face frames and bottom all assembled.

BottomCaseAssembled.jpg

fyi, I am coming over to steal your tools:) I got a pair of saw horses i gotta put away at night.:)

When you plan your stuff are you concerned about loop size or do you just kind of assume you may have to buy more pumps in order to facilitate the overall aesthetic?

When you plan your stuff are you concerned about loop size or do you just kind of assume you may have to buy more pumps in order to facilitate the overall aesthetic?

Not concerned at all with the loop sizes in this beast (three loops with redundant pumps each cooled by quad 140mm radiators).

The top case was built the same way as the bottom.

TopFaceFrameMaterial.jpg

TopFaceFrameStainedMaterial.jpg

TopFaceFrameAssembly.jpg

TopCaseAssembled.jpg

Worked on the plywood panels that attach to the frames onto which the aluminum mounting plates are attached.

InnerSidePanelMaterial.jpg

InnerSidePanelJig.jpg

InnerSidePaneInsidewInserts.jpg

#8 threaded inserts were installed by "pulling" them into the plywood (from the back) by simply screwing in a #8 bolt.

BoltCU.jpg

InsertCU-1.jpg

The plywood panels are bolted to the inside of the case frame with six stainless steel socket cap screws via threaded inserts.

InnerSidePanelMountedInsidel.jpg

And the aluminum mounting plates are then bolted to the plywood panels (also with stainless steel socket cap screws) via threaded inserts.

InnerSidePanelMountedWithPlates.jpg

All of this modularity allows for easily switching to different mounting plates and/or panels in the future.

Last edited:
The back panel of the top case required three router jigs for the PSU mounting plate, 10-slot motherboard tray and 92mm fan holes.

TopBackPanel.jpg

TopBackPanel2.jpg

TopBackPanelCU1.jpg

TopBackPanelCU2.jpg

Rear panel can be rotated for a vertical motherboard mounting orientation.

TopBackPanelRotated.jpg

Last edited:
Back