• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

buying wireless adapter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deed

I have a wireless router and wanted to get a wireless adapter for a computer upstairs. http://homestore.cisco.com/Linksys-...-Adapter_stcVVproductId77157805VVviewprod.htm Is what I wanted to get since I am on a budget, my router is SIMILAR TO THIS http://homestore.cisco.com/Linksys-...VproductId53779501VVcatId543809VVviewprod.htm

Cant get the model tag atm. So I heard that linksys routers work and communicate better with linksys adapters. Is this true or would any other adapter work perfectly the same? I contacted linksys sales like a week ago asking questions about the adapter and they have yet to reply so if there sales is this bad I can imagine other things are bad as well. Wondering if its related from them getting taken over by a different company awhile ago...

Short version: Would a wireless n router from linksys communicate better with a wireless n dual band adapter or would any adapter work just as well?

802.11n is 802.11n. Any adapter works the same. Hardware (chipset) quality and antenna size/placement may affect connectivity and throughput. You can get an Asus PCE-N13 (802.11n with Ralink chipset) for $26 or $21 if you sign up for their email list. If you must have USB, the WUSB600 is decent, as it also has a Ralink chipset.

802.11n is 802.11n. Any adapter works the same. Hardware (chipset) quality and antenna size/placement may affect connectivity and throughput. You can get an Asus PCE-N13 (802.11n with Ralink chipset) for $26 or $21 if you sign up for their email list. If you must have USB, the WUSB600 is decent, as it also has a Ralink chipset.

Thanks for all your help, I just wanted usb since it game with a usb extender because looking at my signal on one computer I get 90% moving it an inch brings it to 100% which the inside is unable to do. Is there really any cons with that internal adapter besides this? The computer will be backed up close to a wall if this makes any difference.

Also what is the major difference between the 2.4ish ghz operating frequency and the 5ghz besides transfer speed?

Transfer speed isn't the difference, GHz is the difference :) Practically everybody with an 802.11 network uses 2.4GHz (the few who don't are the rare people with 802.11a hardware). Many cordless phone sets use 2.4GHz. Bluetooth uses 2.4GHz. Some microwaves hit 2.4GHz. 5GHz has much less usage for now, so you can get a better signal with less interference. Higher frequency also lets it pass through walls and such easier (the wave is "smaller"), but it reduces the range.

Thanks, out of stock but newegg has it for like 10 dollars more :/

Some reviews say they get like a 50% signal is there anything I could do if I got this low of a signal to increase it? Like antenna extenders etc? Buying it asap though.

60 views and no one knows... guess im going to grab some extra long cords and drill into my walls.

coffee can's. you can really extend the range using coffee cans to 'concentrate' the wireless signal towards a certain direction.

Kills it though for areas out of the way of where the can is pointing.

Back